Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Dark Shadows #1779

Collector dburghard private msg quote post Address this user
NewBee question... I have a Dark Shadows #1 from 1969. If it does not have the poster that is supposed to be included, how much does that affect the grade? I'll have to find it again to re-evaluate the grade if it did not have that omission, but in general, say, if it was in VF condition, does it make it just FN or something else?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Like missing a marvel value stamp, I would estimate it to lose 2 grades. An 8.0 would become a 6.0.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
What's a Marvel Value Stamp?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
A coupon commonly found in late 70s marvel books, like Incredible Hulk 181. Most kids cut them out, so it drops the value tremendously from a $1000 mid grade book, and makes it worth $300-$400 suddenly.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I was afraid you'd say something like that. Thanks for the feedback.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If you can find that poster on eBay and snatch it up then you have no problem
Post 6 IP   flag post
I have some Spider-Man's I need to go check out, brb.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Everything you need to know about MVS: Marvel Value Stamps
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Despain Thanks!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain

Unfortunately it might be necessary for the site to mention that actually checking the inside after you've purchased a book is still the best way to determine if it, and everything else, is still there.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Hey I hadn't thought to look on ebay for a poster. Good idea!
Post 11 IP   flag post
@DarthLego You're welcome!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

Unfortunately it might be necessary for the site to mention that actually checking the inside after you've purchased a book is still the best way to determine if it, and everything else, is still there.

It's an informative site. I don't think it is their responsibility to to tell anyone to check inside a comic. It lists all MVS and the issues they appear in. After that, it is each person's responsibility to check his own comics, don't you think?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

It's an informative site. I don't think it is their responsibility to to tell anyone to check inside a comic. It lists all MVS and the issues they appear in. After that, it is each person's responsibility to check his own comics, don't you think?

I do, 100%
I was just saying it's unfortunate not everyone does.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS Very True. Surprisingly there are collectors who buy expensive comics and aren't aware of MVS. Maybe ignorance is bliss until they decide to sell a comic without the MVS to an unsuspecting (and disgruntled) buyer. LOL 😅
Post 15 IP   flag post
I check every book when I rebag them into the 4mil mylars, but my rebag box TATs are as far behind as CBCSs.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburghard
Hey I hadn't thought to look on ebay for a poster. Good idea!

It should be noted that if you find a poster for your book and add it back in - and then send it to a grading company - it will in some fashion be noted as having a married page/centerfold or poster.

CGC used to give married pages and covers a green, Qualified label. Their webpage now indicates it would get a restored purple label. CBCS will put it in a blue label, but note the married page(s)
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thanks for the info. Makes sense.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Stronguy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Post 19 IP   flag post
597886 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?