Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector zab47 private msg quote post Address this user
zab47 here starting this new thread I hope the right way due to the fact all this is new to me along with collecting comics again at the age of 69
so any 1 with input into collecting for investment as to types of comics to purchase when to have graded and when not to the collecting is for my daughter while I have my child hood comics to buy question why not buy then give as an investment as I pass on that foes with the age u know
I have searched ebay for comics I love and wondered what is the investment side of comics I have looked at my comic shop comic connect and hakes auctions which is only 3 hours from my home may go there with some of my 10 cent and 15 cent comics to see if they are worth auction to build up some working capital which when retired is a must due to the funds u are paid if smart and not just SS
I have used heritage auctions passed auctions to give me an idea of prices and grades for a learning curve

I also bought overstreet pricing guide and their book on grading I am open to all answers and questions at this point I don't know how many people pick up new forums to add advice so I will end it here
ans. and give me some ideas please zab47
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome back to the hobby. Is your interest primarily in older books or do you plan to also collect the new modern stuff?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I love to back to the older books from the 60's when I was in high school and had an interest in reading comics and trading them off with others to read the new 1's

just started looking at some of the new 1's and the prices seem way out I can sit in barns and noble and check some out if u have a recomatation for me to look at that would be great if I spend the money which one's should I check out to see if I like them also new 1's would be more investment I think suggestions welcome I see u a lot on here and like what u say

zab47
Post 3 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I'll second DarthLego's warm welcome!

My suggestion would be to grade and inventory the books you've collected before anything else. Your assessment of grades is a crucial first step (based on the Overstreet grading scale it would provide a ballpark idea of values) and images would be helpful for second/third opinions.

Then, as you get to know folks here contact someone whose opinion you trust via PM to advise you on the best next steps to take. This should provide you with some idea of what you're collection may be worth and the best approach for maximizing a fair realized price later on. Most likely you'll be advised to submit some books for grading and encapsulation before inquiring of an auction house or doing eBay listings.

This is just my opinion. Other's mileage may vary, but from an investment side of things this perspective is important.
Post 4 IP   flag post
wow I thank u for the reply I will head your advice and keep it on top of my bucket list I am writing down don't trust the mind to keep my learning skills up to date

would people mind if I put some up for advice I need to learn how to scan them I have and older computer and I bought comic base and extra storage way to soon to use it the right way so that is on hold my problem I go too fast and need to stop and listen to advice I am getting here I never knew so many people would be there to help

that is why I am taking notes so as not to forget the things you are all kind enough to share thanks zab47
Post 5 IP   flag post
597931 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?