Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

CBCS launches New Logo and Brand756

Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
I like it. In some aspects yes, it could be a little better. However, I do not think everyone will ever be happy with anything. I have seen people saying to change them, so they did. They modified the thing, to look newer, and bold. I am glad the 50+ books in right now will get them, as well as the to groups going in later this year. I like them, and that is all I am worried about. They will look snazzy hanging on my wall. On a more important note.. Thank you CBCS for always keeping my books safe before, and after being places in your case.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
My only advice to CBCS would be in the future USE your fans, comic collectors, dealers, forum members etc etc when it comes to certain changes. Especially the aesthetics of a label. Some people are a tad bit over the top but all CBCS needs to do is not take it personally and take the statements for what they are.

I am sure CBCS had many involved in the make up of the new label but you can reach thousands of your customers with just one post on here before you commit
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Indeed there is a thread about getting a new label, so CBCS did listen. Ideally they would have kept listening and tested a few re-designs in a poll here.
Now all three (CBCS, CGC and PGX) have uggy labels. And since two of them are brand new, we are stuck with them for, presumably, years.
I won't say I will not submit books because of it, but I can see some people doing so.
For the love of Crom, please put a poll on the boards for your next change.

(also, the two week suspense building was gratuitous, and a bit of a let-down)
Post 128 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio

This so much!
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio
Indeed there is a thread about getting a new label, so CBCS did listen. Ideally they would have kept listening and tested a few re-designs in a poll here.
Now all three (CBCS, CGC and PGX) have uggy labels. And since two of them are brand new, we are stuck with them for, presumably, years.
I won't say I will not submit books because of it, but I can see some people doing so.

In my eyes this is easily rectifiable. Agreed that I have no idea just how much time and money they have invested in this label or how much it could/would interrupt the running of the company but......

...just as you said Mio put a post on here asking for people's feedback over say a week. If 85% dislike it then you have your answer. Scrap it keep the old label and work towards a new label that say 75% on here will like and get behind.

This will show that CBCS are willing to accept that they are more than willing to listen and also accept and learn that you should ALWAYS include your customers on a change like this. So far I have no problem with CBCS and their customer service and the way they have approached hurdles in their way. But seriously CBCS you should of included your customers and always should in the future with decisions like this.
Post 130 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@matterus023 I don't even think they needed to put it to a vote, I just think it should've been done competently. Look at how many times DC has changed their logo. As far as I know, they didn't put it up to a vote each time. While I may not have liked all of them, each of them at least looked modern and professionally done, which CBCS' new branding does not
Post 131 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023
My only advice to CBCS would be in the future USE your fans, comic collectors, dealers, forum members etc etc when it comes to certain changes. Especially the aesthetics of a label. Some people are a tad bit over the top but all CBCS needs to do is not take it personally and take the statements for what they are.

I am sure CBCS had many involved in the make up of the new label but you can reach thousands of your customers with just one post on here before you commit

This is well said. In addition, it would be fairly simple to conduct a test, in person, at one of the upcoming conventions. Think people will knee-jerk reject change? Then ask only folks who are unfamiliar with encapsulation to pick a preference, between the original and new design. Hard-core collectors the most important demographic? Then give 'em a detailed survey. Want to know what dealers think? Go around and ask a few dozen.

You can gather any sort of feedback you need, but you've got to be proactive. Most of the intensity of the reaction, IMO, is due to the nature of the change: surprising, significant in degree, and without customer input.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Collector CosmicReads private msg quote post Address this user
I would just like to say that the fact that so many people have spoken out on this forum about the new logo/design/brand (6+ pages of comments in a matter of few hours… on a workday?) speaks volumes about the brand loyalty that exists for CBCS.

Brand identity is important for any company. The last statistic I heard was that CBCS has about 30% of the market share when it comes to slabbed comics. So clearly, very quickly, word is getting out about the quality of product that customers receive from CBCS.

Companies should never change their brand just for the sake of changing brands. CBCS has market penetration and is now recognizable. Changing your brand for the wrong reasons can take away from that. That being said… I don’t think the new label looks drastically different from the previous label. I like the fact that the font for the grade number appears to have changed. It makes CBCS stand out more from competitors. The label in general is bolder and will therefore photograph better. The label itself generally remains true to the original design and merely looks “refreshed”. The logo though... that change may have been too dramatic. After only two years there may be market confusion over whether or not that book is a CBCS book or some new company. IMO a more subtle change to the logo would probably have served the company better. However, only time will tell.
Post 133 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@matterus023 I don't even think they needed to put it to a vote, I just think it should've been done competently. Look at how many times DC has changed their logo. As far as I know, they didn't put it up to a vote each time. While I may not have liked all of them, each of them at least looked modern and professionally done, which CBCS' new branding does not

I see your point but in the world of comics/geeks or anything collectable it seems smart to cover your ass and make your extreme fans feel involved lol
Post 134 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Look at how many times DC has changed their logo. As far as I know, they didn't put it up to a vote each time.

DC Comics is owned by Time/Warner, who has proven time and time again that they don't give a rats pituitary about their customers.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Collector Thanos_of_Titan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This is the point! You're never going to please everyone BUT the final result should at least be professional and modern. That's the best you can hope for.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicReads
I would just like to say that the fact that so many people have spoken out on this forum about the new logo/design/brand (6+ pages of comments in a matter of few hours… on a workday?) speaks volumes about the brand loyalty that exists for CBCS.

Brand identity is important for any company. The last statistic I heard was that CBCS has about 30% of the market share when it comes to slabbed comics. So clearly, very quickly, word is getting out about the quality of product that customers receive from CBCS.

Companies should never change their brand just for the sake of changing brands. CBCS has market penetration and is now recognizable. Changing your brand for the wrong reasons can take away from that. That being said… I don’t think the new label looks drastically different from the previous label. I like the fact that the font for the grade number appears to have changed. It makes CBCS stand out more from competitors. The label in general is bolder and will therefore photograph better. The label itself generally remains true to the original design and merely looks “refreshed”. The logo though... that change may have been too dramatic. After only two years there may be market confusion over whether or not that book is a CBCS book or some new company. IMO a more subtle change to the logo would probably have served the company better. However, only time will tell.

I had contacted CBCS very briefly in the past about their labels. Do I personally OVERLY care? Well no. Do I care this minute while I'm typing...hell yes lol.

If I ran the place I would of changed the label in very minimal ways and placed it as an add on to an announcement that would of been more beneficial to the collector/business man etc. Maybe thicker and better quality of paper with some of the colouring made more vibrant and slight change of font. I don't know exactly what without having some fun on paint (yes I said paint ) but a slight change without really making a full change this early on into their company.
Post 137 IP   flag post
Collector Thanos_of_Titan private msg quote post Address this user
A few on here don't seem to care about the label design and would go with whatever.

On the other hand, there seems to be some designers on here and people who appreciate good design.

Makes sense since comics are an artistic, visual medium. So my question is:

Why not pay a professional to brand the company instead of this amateur attempt? Sorry to be so blunt but it's the truth.
Post 138 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I would have preferred the ignore function.
Post 139 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
The only thing I really don't like on the new label is the border. Everything else works for me. But, I'm not going back to CGC over something this trivial, so they have my business anyways.
Post 140 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos_of_Titan
A few on here don't seem to care about the label design and would go with whatever.

On the other hand, there seems to be some designers on here and people who appreciate good design.

Why not pay a professional to brand the company instead of this amateur attempt? Sorry to be so blunt but it's the truth.

Sorry I haven't read the full thread... are you positive that a designer and/or marketing professional was not hired?
Post 141 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Sorry I haven't read the full thread... are you positive that a designer and/or marketing professional was not hired?

If they hired a "professional" to do this they got ripped off.
I would be asking for my money back.
Post 142 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here's what I think it comes down to.

Was the old label design terrible? No but it wasn't that great from a design standpoint. However, this new design is at least 3 steps backwards design wise.

One thing I am certain of is that is was not designed by a professional designer with years of experience. No designer these days would use terrible textures and the PhotoShop emboss effect on a serious branding job...it's just not what is considered good design these days. This is the work of someone who isn't a pro designer but thinks they can do it all...well, that's not how it works.

I know nothing about plastics, so I'm not qualified to give any advice in that area, but I am a 14+ year graphic designer and the facts are that this is bad design.

Now, if you like it fine. But it would never be considered good designed. It's dated. It's sad because I felt CBCS was really closing in on CGC. I switched from CGC because CBCS had a much better product/service by comparison. This will hurt business. I won't submit anything with this label in play.

This! 100% this. I don't have as much experience as Thanos but I do have experience with graphic design and this new logo and label is not professional grade work.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here's what I think it comes down to.

Was the old label design terrible? No but it wasn't that great from a design standpoint. However, this new design is at least 3 steps backwards design wise.

One thing I am certain of is that is was not designed by a professional designer with years of experience. No designer these days would use terrible textures and the PhotoShop emboss effect on a serious branding job...it's just not what is considered good design these days. This is the work of someone who isn't a pro designer but thinks they can do it all...well, that's not how it works.

I know nothing about plastics, so I'm not qualified to give any advice in that area, but I am a 14+ year graphic designer and the facts are that this is bad design.

Now, if you like it fine. But it would never be considered good designed. It's dated. It's sad because I felt CBCS was really closing in on CGC. I switched from CGC because CBCS had a much better product/service by comparison. This will hurt business. I won't submit anything with this label in play.

while i understand how you feel. They still have the same service. label looks horrible i agree but will it stop me from sending in my book? no because the case will do it's intended job and the label will do the same. IT WONT LOOK THE SAME. but it still doing its job by providing the grade and all the other info. all they did is just put a unattractive receptionist at the front desk compared to the last one that worked there.... no so much as an Eye candy but still does the job well.
Post 144 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
You can gather any sort of feedback you need, but you've got to be proactive. Most of the intensity of the reaction, IMO, is due to the nature of the change: surprising, significant in degree, and without customer input.

Exactly, a change of this magnitude should have been digitally prototyped and gone through weeks of back and forth feedback with the forum community before a final design was settled upon that at least a majority gave a thumbs up to.
Post 145 IP   flag post
Collector jakecaputo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This could be the fault of whomever was overseeing this at CBCS. You know as well as I do that some clients demand things that are completely against their best interest. I personally refund them and walk away at that point, but I know some designers will just do what's asked to get the contract completed.

What's more worrisome to me is that nobody down the line said "this is pitiful." That speaks volumes. It makes me wonder what else falls through the cracks.

In the last two months I've had a book mislabeled, another book damaged (Saga 1), and now this design disaster. The quality that I've come to know and expect has just been tanking.
Post 146 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:

Exactly, a change of this magnitude should have been digitally prototyped and gone through weeks of back and forth feedback with the forum community before a final design was settled upon that at least a majority gave a thumbs up to.

The front page says "we heard you"... are we sure that what you described didn't happen?
Post 147 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Quote:
Those rivets are so ugly. Seriously someone should be fired over this.

CBCS, were you feeling so sorry for Aspen that you felt you'd take some heat off them by doing something even stupider?

+1

Someone should lose their job over THIS?
Cheeses Crust! Can you imagine the state this country would be in if causing massive butthurt over minor issues warranted unemployment? SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLand
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
I don't get the hatred of the new label. It's not perfect, but you guys are reacting like they killed your child.

You're right some of the reaction is a bit extreme. Don't you think you could have articulated that in a less extreme way?

I think it matches all of DarthLego's reactions perfectly.
Post 148 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio

Are the majority of CBCS's customers regular posters in this forum?
Post 149 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The front page says "we heard you"... are we sure that what you described didn't happen?

I'm not that new here, it's not something I would have missed. Obviously everyone here has been taken aback by this. This came out of left field and hit us all in the nose Marcia Marcia Marcia style.
Post 150 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
I do know that a lot of people on the CGC board complained about CBCS' label being too bland, so maybe the "you" in "we heard you" refers to the CGC people?
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio

Are the majority of CBCS's customers regular posters in this forum?

Does it need to be a majority? I would settle for more than none, taking part in a poll.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Quote:
Obviously everyone here has been taken aback by this. This came out of left field and hit us all in the nose Marcia Marcia Marcia style.

FSMH
Post 153 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio

Crom never listens... so I seldom pray to him...
Post 154 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
I would have preferred the ignore function.

I would have preferred a kick in the balls. At least after the initial pain, everything would have returned to the status quo.
Post 155 IP   flag post
601275 1176 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?