Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

CBCS launches New Logo and Brand756

COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
So is there any images of the new new label yet hopefully they will be coming out of SDCC. Would be nice if a CBCS employee created a shill account to leak them on their own forum without doing any official announcement. Come on Leak Gate.

I assume you're talking about the ugly label. There's a video and several examples posted in this thread.
no i'm talking about a supposely new prototype design that is floating around in southern california
Post 851 IP   flag post
Collector Stronguy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
So, I'm bored.
Here's one for the conspiracy theorists:
What if CBCS created a label, HOPING that people wouldn't like it. There's an almost obsessive amount of complaining and discussion about it. CBCS posts a comment saying, "we hear you & we're working on it." They make some tweaks and reveal a different design. Collectors are happy that CBCS cares, even if they still don't like the design.
- win for collectors
- win for CBCS
- another nail in the coffin for CGC
I know it probably didn't happen this way but the Machiavellian part of me hopes it did.

You're attributing waaay too much intelligence to the CBCS crew.
Post 852 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
So, I'm bored.
Here's one for the conspiracy theorists:
What if CBCS created a label, HOPING that people wouldn't like it. There's an almost obsessive amount of complaining and discussion about it. CBCS posts a comment saying, "we hear you & we're working on it." They make some tweaks and reveal a different design. Collectors are happy that CBCS cares, even if they still don't like the design.
- win for collectors
- win for CBCS
- another nail in the coffin for CGC
I know it probably didn't happen this way but the Machiavellian part of me hopes it did.

It was the Illuminati.
They were also behind CGC's new slab and their "frankenslab."
Post 853 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Machiavellian:

Adjective;

cunning, scheming, and unscrupulous, especially in politics or in advancing one's career.

synonyms: devious · cunning · crafty · artful · wily · sly · scheming
Post 854 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino_013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
OK, here is my shield design, drawn freehand, scanned, colored and shaded using Photobucket tools (no art program) with holographic visualization implied...

This is still rough, but I've tightened the image and tweaked the color for a much more finished appearance.

FTR, I don't have issues with the current shield logo on a less aggressive label, but the old logo looked fine too and incorporated into a holographic design I bet it would really pop.

This is just an experimental shield design. Several boardies have contributed label concepts that show great promise, IMO.

I reckon that shield is already spoken for man...

LOL! Naw, no similarity 'tol. Besides, the NFL shield looks cheesy.

My shield shape is completely different, much closer to the bow plates on old warships circa late 19th century. The NFL wasn't even fully fleshed out as a sport at that time. I don't think the stars can be trademarked, it's a totally different configuration. And the letter design bears no resemblance whatsoever to the NFL font.
Heck, the NFL isn't even real "football".

Anyway, it was just a design concept.
Post 855 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica Careful, you might get a sternly worded letter from MLJ about infringing on their trademarks. Just look how that worked out for good ol' Captain America

Post 856 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I don't think the stars can be trademarked...

You might want to run that by CGC's attorneys. Just ask CBCS.
Post 857 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:
I don't think the stars can be trademarked...

You might want to run that by CGC's attorneys. Just ask CBCS.

CGC is losing stars as we speak. I think they're down from four to two and a half since redesigning their label/holder.
Post 858 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Thanks for the response Steve. It's good to have an acknowledgment that there is an awareness of what's being said and debated here and are at least maybe taking it into consideration.
I know I've said a lot already in this thread but I'm going to break down my personal opinions of the pros and cons of the old label/logo vs the new label/logo as best as I can now that I've had a few days to think about it.
1) Changing the font and color of the grade of the book and background to black on white just throws the balance of the label off. You and CGC both made this same mistake to make the grade of the book scream off the label. It's saying look at me just too much. It's obtrusive and ugly. The old label with a deep blue font against a very pale blue background was just more subtle and displayed the grade with better balance against the rest of the label. I had no trouble seeing the grade with the old label and most certainly didn't feel like it was slapping me in the face. Not only that, the new font itself seems kind of awkward or dated. The old font just had a better look and feel to it. If it makes you feel any better, CGC's big bold grade on their new label is even worse and more distracting.
2) There is too much empty space in the center of the new label. It makes the label look like something is missing while at the same time drawing you to it (after you get done being slapped by the grade box that is). What you had before with some information crossing into the center of the label worked much better aesthetically.
3) No border at the bottom of the new label just looks chopped and incomplete. The subtle intensity change of the blue along the top and bottom of the old label just brought better balance and completeness to the whole label.
4) The rivets at the top of the new label and in the new logo just gives a cold, harsh and stiff feel. It does not convey the effect you were looking for and is just distracting and unnecessary. Ok for the silver age Metal Men and Iron Man logos but not so much here unless you're selling power tools. Your old logo looked much more professional and fit the product better.
5)This all being said, I think all you really needed to do was maybe make your (old) logo holofoil on the label and that's it.[/quote]

I agree with all of these 5 points, The last point seems like a very good idea, if adjustments are made after SDCC.

I will certainly support CBCS, either way, as the overall product and services rendered are above reproach.
Post 859 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm actually glad CBCS didn't fight that CGC star trademark BS, I like there circle check much better.
Post 860 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica I've seen a logo shield before that looks like yours, but I'm drawing a blank on what it was.
Post 861 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@CatmanAmerica I've seen a logo shield before that looks like yours, but I'm drawing a blank on what it was.

It certainly could've been inspired from some other source, such as the warship prow emblem mentioned, but that shield, like the MLJ costumed character The Shield, has a red, white & blue stars & stripes theme.

This'n started as a blank drawing.

Granted, most ideas are subject to subconscious influence from other sources, but it's doubtful that there are clear similarities with any known trademark or design. I'd certainly be interested in seeing comparable examples as copyright infringement is something I'd never knowingly do.

I don't mind being proven wrong though, even if it's an unlikely coincidence.
Post 862 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS has shirts with that horrible shield logo on them that they are wearing at SDCC. This does not bode well.
Post 863 IP   flag post
I failed to find a similar logo, it's possible I saw it in a previous parallel reality.
Post 864 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Sounds like they went all in before any cards were dealt.
Post 865 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Am I the only one that sees a resemblance in Catman's shield to this one???

Post 866 IP   flag post

Post 867 IP   flag post

Post 868 IP   flag post
Looks like a winning hand to me.
Post 869 IP   flag post
Well since they are already looking at changes, I wonder if the Frankenlabel (I say it love ❤) will become sought after for it's rarity after all this is over?
Post 870 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Am I the only one that sees a resemblance in Catman's shield to this one???

No, though I decided to go a tad further back with my reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@CatmanAmerica Careful, you might get a sternly worded letter from MLJ about infringing on their trademarks. Just look how that worked out for good ol' Captain America

Post 871 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica try making your CBCS letters white, I think it will pop more.
Post 872 IP   flag post
Quote:
Well since they are already looking at changes, I wonder if the Frankenlabel (I say it love ❤) will become sought after for it's rarity after all this is over?

Like the Fortress, it may be sought by rivet collectors.

Quote:
@CatmanAmerica try making your CBCS letters white, I think it will pop more.

Thanks for the suggestion, may take a shot at that. I like the dark lettering, but I have no idea whether it would stand out on a holographic sticker. (Thumbs up emoticon)
Post 873 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Wait, what was wrong with the Fortress? I liked those.
Post 874 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
CBCS has shirts with that horrible shield logo on them that they are wearing at SDCC. This does not bode well.

Yep. Doomed.

Post 875 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84

Jesus Christ! $500 for 5!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322191093212
Post 876 IP   flag post
I know. I just want one for my Batman 9, but I can't find one at a reasonable price.
Post 877 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Yep. Doomed.

Is this the potential new label?

Nevermind. I just saw it confirmed in the other thread.
Post 878 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84

Books were subject to damage if the screws weren't tightened perfectly. Too little pressure and SCS can blunt corners or worse; too much pressure could potentially pop staples.

I have a bunch of 'em; they're collectible, but don't use 'em for comic storage.
Post 879 IP   flag post
I didn't have those problems with it. I'll admit, I only had one or two and they got sold with the books, but wow! I guess that's why they don't make them anymore.
Post 880 IP   flag post
600502 1176 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?