Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

CBCS launches New Logo and Brand756

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a blast from the past. This is from an article announcing CBCS in mid-2014. I don't think any books actually went out with this label but it's interesting to see how labels have progressed

Post 726 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
There have been a couple of tweaks the middle style, too. There was someone on the FB page that had an image of the various iterations of the middle label.
Post 727 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I wasn't going for a comprehensive history, just the broad strokes
Post 728 IP   flag post
Right.
Post 729 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Here's a blast from the past. This is from an article announcing CBCS in mid-2014. I don't think any books actually went out with this label but it's interesting to see how labels have progressed

I personally like the label on the Action Comics 1. Wonder why that was dropped?
Post 730 IP   flag post

Collector sterlingcomics private msg quote post Address this user
To be perfectly honest, I've been incognito for a while (5 years or so), so I've been completely oblivious to the industry. It's nice to see CGC has competition, and with much of the gang that made it happen there. I'm a bit mixed on the changes, as I am with CGC's changes as well. Maybe this old dog needs to be laid out to pasture.
Post 731 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder

Post 732 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
@D84 That early design would've been a non-starter for me. Reminds me of the worst elements of the new CGC label (oversized grade box, lack of balanced label design, unattractive aesthetics), but OMMV.

Like the second version (very close to the final iteration CBCS went with).

PS: Here's the tweaked version of my earlier effort from the previous page (lighter, with better contrast and color)...

This may not be everyone's cuppa tea, but my sincere hope is that it'll inspire designs that incorporate the best elements (gradient blue tones and a softer, more complimentary color scheme that meshes well with the new shield design).
Post 733 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@JWKyle Just imagine how sexy that book would look under the old label.
Post 734 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingcomics
To be perfectly honest, I've been incognito for a while (5 years or so), so I've been completely oblivious to the industry. It's nice to see CGC has competition, and with much of the gang that made it happen there. I'm a bit mixed on the changes, as I am with CGC's changes as well. Maybe this old dog needs to be laid out to pasture.

Just wade in the shallow end for a while. You'll be back up to speed in no time
Post 735 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just wanted to make a suggestion to those folks trying their hand at tweaking label images. I think it is helpful to try and associate the book image with the label as well. I can see guys playing around with the label and getting something they like only for it to associate an image of a book with it and realize it doesn't work. I wonder, perhaps, if this wasn't part of the problem when they were designing the label in the first place?

So hopefully the images above can help everyone out in their graphical endeavors.

Ok, so here's the label I've been working on pasted back on the book I originally took it from.

Post 736 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@Foghorn_Sam, I think it is absolutely perfect Sam! One question:if multiple artists had signed the book, would there be enough room for the additional information? Great job again!!!
Post 737 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam I think the text boxes for the book information could ride a bit higher to allow for more information on signed books. As it is extra information will run smack into the serial number. I'm still on the fence about the side borders. Also I think a nice gradient in the background instead of the solid color might help it.
Post 738 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
@Foghorn_Sam Respectfully, it looks wimpy.
Post 739 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
@Foghorn_Sam Respectfully, it looks wimpy.

Post 740 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:

Paid $17 CAD for it
Post 741 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Paid $17 CAD for it

So, you got a discount for the rivet label?
Post 742 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesChange
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@TimesChange I like most of what you did, but I think putting the pedigree up top is throwing it off balance.

I know, I agree and I struggled with that, but in the end I liked pedigree issues to stand out, and it does:-)

What about this to balance it? it would just be on pedigree issues, actually I thought about the idea of changing the entire label color for pedigree.

The printer is only going to print in black ink. The color or foil portions of the label would have to be pre-printed or static items that would appear on every label.
Post 743 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The new shield logo is bad design whether it's flat, raised, or foiled. It isn't proportioned correctly. It looks like it has been squished to fit in the allotted space.
Post 744 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesChange
Quote:
@TimesChange I like most of what you did, but I think putting the pedigree up top is throwing it off balance.

I know, I agree and I struggled with that, but in the end I liked pedigree issues to stand out, and it does:-)

What about this to balance it? it would just be on pedigree issues, actually I thought about the idea of changing the entire label color for pedigree.

The printer is only going to print in black ink. The color or foil portions of the label would have to be pre-printed or static items that would appear on every label.
Actually I just looked at a old label under a X10 printers loop and the Blue grade on the old label looks like it was printed on a ink system along with the black text. The old shield and the screen background had dithering patterns in it so that leads me to believe that is part of the blank label. This would lead me to believe CBCS in printing the labels on a color base ink system were they could lay down a different color on the label if they wanted to. But they could not overlay yellow in that bold blue boarder it just wouldn't come out right.
Post 745 IP   flag post
I'm not digging the yellow pedigree.
Post 746 IP   flag post
One of the main hurdles I think in CBCS changing the label again is they probably have some sort of contract or startup costs associated with this label with the printer. The printer probably has a supply of the foil for the new shield that they go to when CBCS says send us a couple of boxes of blanks.
Post 747 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam

Ok, so here's the label I've been working on pasted back on the book I originally took it from.

Thanks a bunch for putting the book back in the image for overall effect. I think the changes look pretty good. However, even without the rivets that dark outside border is still just not right. Perhaps taking out the border on the side and shortening the top bar might work out better. The balance inside that border is really great IMHO. I also wonder what the logo would look like a bit taller and narrower, drop the rivets, and have the the CBCS run diagonally down from top left and in black?
Post 748 IP   flag post
Quote:
One of the main hurdles I think in CBCS changing the label again is they probably have some sort of contract or startup costs associated with this label with the printer. The printer probably has a supply of the foil for the new shield that they go to when CBCS says send us a couple of boxes of blanks.

You are probably right. They might have to run through their initial stack before rolling out the modified version. However, that gives them and fan base time to get the details worked out.
Post 749 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Paid $17 CAD for it

So, you got a discount for the rivet label?

Pfft! I bought the book for $17, you silly goose
Post 750 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm not digging the yellow pedigree.

It's gold ink, and it will print just fine over the blue.
I think it adds something for the pedigrees.
Post 751 IP   flag post
Yellow and Blue makes Green boys and girls.
Post 752 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Yellow and Blue makes Green boys and girls.

Gold sits on top of all.
Post 753 IP   flag post
If CBCS doesn't have magic gold ink, it'll come out green.
Post 754 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I can't believe there are 30 pages of comments on this. Do I hear 31?
Post 755 IP   flag post
597868 1176 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?