Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

CBCS launches New Logo and Brand756

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@MR_SigS This forum and facebook are pretty much the only borometers I have to go by. I admit, if CBCS has ears in other places I have no idea what those places are.

I won't say I know what they are, but I'll bet there are other forms of communication being used here. Not everyone displays themselves the way we do in a forum.

Quote:
If you have sources showing positive response please share them with us.

I'm pretty sure the only claim I've made in this thread (besides the amount of *butthurt in it) is the FACT that I like the new label. There's a positive response. There's been others in this thread. Do I know which camp has given CBCS the most feedback? No. I never said I did, unlike you.

That's never been my point. From the get go you've been making statements that suggest you are the voice of the vocal majority. Personally, I think[hope] it's just your posting style, and that you tend to exaggerate.

Quote:
This forum is however the hub of CBCS's most loyal and vocal fans and customers. I think the collective voice here should not be taken lightly.

Since I never claimed otherwise, I agree.

*In case anyone mistakes my use of the term; 'butthurt' does not include simple displeasure with the new label. It's for the overly dramatic ways in which people have claimed it has all but ruined their collections. It's for comments saying people should have lost their job for the design even though CBCS gave it a green light. It's for calling the staff involved 'monkeys' or 'clowns' or whatever it was. It's for insensitive statements about poor decisions being made by said 'monkeys' or 'clowns' or whatever it was during a difficult time. That is my intended definition of butthurt.
Post 526 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS I still love you. When you coming over with the toe nail clippers and car batteries? We Sith Lords love that stuff.
Post 527 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a post I put up in another thread about a week and a half ago before the announcement of the new label/logo design:

I think the current CBCS label is the best looking one on the market now. Allows the comic book itself to be the focus while providing in a non-obtrusive way the information that's the purpose of it being graded and slabbed in the first place.
It's is obviously very hard to reach that balance given all the different opinions being expressed here. We seem to want the label to not be too flashy, but still have some style and appeal that compliments, not detracts from the comic book held within.

I must say I am more than surprised and disappointed by the decision to change the label and the logo. This is not what was needed at this time, if at all, especially after being around for only 2 years and following closely on the heals of the other company's misstep. How in the world was this felt to be the most pressing issue that needed to be addressed right now?
In my personal opinion, this is not good on many fronts. First, the new label is hideous and a step backwards. Rivets are not necessary on the label or the logo. As someone mentioned earlier, the industrialized look is not appealing. The font looks goofy and too much empty space in other parts of the label and no bottom border of any kind makes it look like the bottom of the label was chopped off. Also, the original logo was beautiful and didn't look like an interstate sign or Zelda shield. How does anyone think this new logo is an improvement or was even necessary? Timing: bad, too many of us still jittery over what happened at the competition concerning their new slab and label design. Timing bad again: you've only been in business for 2 years. Changing horses now concerning your branding and the look of your labels just when you are gaining a foothold in the market just comes off all wrong and seems awkward. It hurts your identity, lacks consistency and may be confusing to the market (at least for a little while).
In light of all of this, I must ask, who was beating your door down to make all these changes? Just when you had the hobby turning more and more your way, you unload this huge change to your aesthetics and brand identity. Of course some are saying other companies frequently make similar changes regardless of what the customers think, but this is different, you are putting your branding on my comic books; the aesthetics and quality of the label and slab are incredibly important. As I said earlier, the label should have a style and appeal that compliments, not detracts from the book. You hit a home run out of the gate as far as I'm concerned with your original label/logo, but for some reason have seconded guessed yourselves into these changes. Considering all that has happened this year, first with the competition and now this, I'm beginning to have serious second thoughts about grading my books at all.
At least on the plus side, you didn't change your slab or slabbing process.
Post 528 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
While not a fan, it will not stop me from submitting. Like many things in life, it may grow on me.

I have most of the things that grow on me removed.
Post 529 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
What are people's thoughts on whether will be any formal statement from CBCS today regarding the new labels?
Post 530 IP   flag post

Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac
What are people's thoughts on whether will be any formal statement from CBCS today regarding the new labels?

Called this morning and talked to a Zack about my situation Nice enough guy but insisted anything after the 11th will have the new labels including mine (graded on the 13th). After explaining that this is not what I paid for and I would like to inquire about a refund, he said they don't do refunds?

After a few minutes he tried to transfer me to another individual but it kept ringing and ringing.

Was told they will get back to me and call me. Idk
Post 531 IP   flag post
Collector Bagofleas private msg quote post Address this user
In the end, we here on the CBCS forum are pretty much CBCS fans for reasons that originally had nothing to do specifically with the look of the label.

We love CBCS because of their transparency, their spot-on grading standards, their fantastic customer service, their clear and sturdy cases, and their general love and support of the hobbyist and focus on the books and industry as a whole.

The pure aesthetics of the label will not please everyone regardless of what it looks like. There are those who liked the old label and those who didn't. There are those who think the new label is fine and those who don't. Nothing has really changed in that regard.

I will also say that part of the reason why CBCS probably didn't do a poll beforehand is because they didn't want to tip their hand, with the possible designs to CGC. They don't want company information leaking out to CGC and then having CGC do things to try and cause them problems with implementation. These two companies have become very protective against each other about what they are planning for future ideas and features. That's what competition in the marketplace will do.

But while CGC will delete posts off of their forum that are too negative against them or too CBCS-approving, CBCS IS allowing us as the customers to say and give our opinions quite freely here on their forum, and will generally pay attention to what it's customers have to say.

Whether you are a fan of the new labeling or not, CBCS IS still and will ALWAYS BE the BEST option for grading of our books in my opinion.
Post 532 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
Quote:

Called this morning and talked to a Zack about my situation Nice enough guy but insisted anything after the 11th will have the new labels including mine (graded on the 13th). After explaining that this is not what I paid for and I would like to inquire about a refund, he said they don't do refunds?

After a few minutes he tried to transfer me to another individual but it kept ringing and ringing.

Well hopefully you get your refund and you can move forward from there.
Post 533 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm very interested to see what they say. I really hope they work with you.
Post 534 IP   flag post
Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
@Kinzebac Just got off the phone again with Zack. It looks like there will be changes/updates to the new label already and they want me to wait for the reveal.

I really just wanted the old labels but apparently that isn't an option. When I inquired about a refund he repeated the no refund policy stating you are paying for the grade and nothing else. Which is ridiculous. Obviously you're paying for the whole package (case, label, and grading service). American Express agrees with me also on that issue but It sounded like they would try to fight a refund even though my comics didn't ship so I don't even know the grade.

As of now my order is in QC on hold waiting for the new new label.
Post 535 IP   flag post
Collector rayne5446 private msg quote post Address this user
While I much prefer the old label, the picture of the Batman 1 Aspen case looks pretty good.

The font really only annoys me when it's a 9.4 grade.
Post 536 IP   flag post
Collector DannyBoy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagofleas
In the end, we here on the CBCS forum are pretty much CBCS fans for reasons that originally had nothing to do specifically with the look of the label.

Not true for me.
Post 537 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Kinzebac Just got off the phone again with Zack. It looks like there will be changes/updates to the new label already and they want me to wait for the reveal.

I really just wanted the old labels but apparently that isn't an option. When I inquired about a refund he repeated the no refund policy stating you are paying for the grade and nothing else. Which is ridiculous. Obviously you're paying for the whole package (case, label, and grading service). American Express agrees with me also on that issue but It sounded like they would try to fight a refund even though my comics didn't ship so I don't even know the grade.

Thanks for the update. I hope this unfortunate situation ends on a positive note.

I really hope they change their thinking about "you are only paying for a grade." I can understand this approach if you are aware of what you are purchasing, but in this case, you had no idea what you were buying given the change in label. In the end, I feel CBCS will do right and everyone will be pleased with the outcome.
Post 538 IP   flag post
Quote:
Whether you are a fan of the new labeling or not, CBCS IS still and will ALWAYS BE the BEST option for grading of our books in my opinion.

The old logo and label conveyed that message. The new graphic brand does not.

I'm concerned for selfish reasons - I don't want my comics slabbed with a cheap and unprofessional looking label.

But I'm also concerned for CBCS. If they don't change the design, it will hurt their reputation in the long run.

Don't underestimate the importance of quality graphic standards.
Post 539 IP   flag post
Quote:

The pure aesthetics of the label will not please everyone regardless of what it looks like. There are those who liked the old label and those who didn't. There are those who think the new label is fine and those who don't. Nothing has really changed in that regard.

A lot has changed. Most of us were perfectly content with the old label. An overwhelming majority are not pleased with the new brand. It's like night and day.

You make it sound like quality design is purely subjective, and that's simply not true.
Post 540 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy
I'm concerned for selfish reasons - I don't want my comics slabbed with a cheap and unprofessional looking label.

Don't underestimate the importance of quality graphic standards.

This x 1,000.
Post 541 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

A lot has changed. Most of us were perfectly content with the old label. An overwhelming majority are not pleased with the new brand. It's like night and day.

You make it sound like quality design is purely subjective, and that's simply not true.

Precisely this! I think I said it earlier in this thread but my issue isn't simply that I don't like it. If it looked professionally designed and I didn't like it, fine. DC for example, has changed their logo several times in my lifetime. I may not have liked each one but each felt professionally done. I cannot say the same for the new CBCS look and logo which is filled with dated design ideas and looks out of place in the modern marketplace.

Hell, DC's old design is strong enough that they're reusing a nearly 45 year old design, almost unchanged, and it doesn't feel too out of time, though with an obvious and purposeful retro slant. The brushed metal texture, fake rivets, and cheesy embossed font of the new CBCS look and logo already look and feel 20 years old.
Post 542 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you. I'm not saying the look of the label does not matter at all. I'm simply saying that you simply cannot please EVERYONE no matter what you do and that the label alone shouldn't determine whether you use CBCS as your grading company.

I have a degree in computer graphics and design, and I completely understand the importance of putting across the right kind of image with your logos and company designs. You have to make sure you're instilling the right feelings from your customer base with them, as well as being consistent with the times, opinions and aesthetics of the day and age you exist within.

And one good thing about CBCS is that they DO listen to their customers, and with the kinds of responses I've seen everywhere, they are apparently paying attention and doing something about it now. Let's wait and see what they have for us soon here.😊😊
Post 543 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite shows us a great example of transitional contemporary era driven standards of logo branding that fits the current demand of pop culture trends. Perfect!
Post 544 IP   flag post
Collector Verde private msg quote post Address this user
The grading font looks like it's from the 70's, like off of a disco album. The rivets as well. But I gotta admit, through all the muk, they didn't change the slab itself, so I think I may reconsider my stand on submitting.

I do want these books protected, as long as the slab itself is the same, I will put my faith into CBCS. Let's make it clear, if they make a new new logo, or revert to the older one, I will be resubmitting those to get re-slabbed lolz.
Post 545 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
@dielinfinite shows us a great example of transitional contemporary era driven standards of logo branding that fits the current demand of pop culture trends. Perfect!

Agree.
Post 546 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the update. I hope this unfortunate situation ends on a positive note.

I really hope they change their thinking about "you are only paying for a grade." I can understand this approach if you are aware of what you are purchasing, but in this case, you had no idea what you were buying given the change in label. In the end, I feel CBCS will do right and everyone will be pleased with the outcome.

For me I have to say this sounds terrible. As long as the information provided is accurate. Not calling you a liar in the slightest Maverick just saying 2 sides to a story.

But you seem on the level so for now I am SHOCKED by this response. I said over the road and on here that I would NEVER use CGC again with the way they handled things. Now I'm thinking everyone is just the same in business. If I was Maverick and paid for an item which was then changed without my knowing and then was told on the phone no refunds and you are only paying for a grade I wouldn't be happy. I'm sure people will now quote this saying I'm being a drama queen etc but this is now ridiculous to me. A customer is unhappy for a more than fair reason (not even up for discussion) and you tell him no refund. Urrgghh not impressed at all
Post 547 IP   flag post
To reiterate and summarize something I posted earlier, I think doing this right now was not a good idea. After what happened over at the competition, the hobby was looking for consistency and stability and some were beginning to turn to CBCS to find that. This was the right time for CBCS to stay the course and not make these kind of changes to their branding and aesthetics. When you have a golden opportunity to build your brand and recognition (in part thanks to CGC's stumble), changing it after only 2 years and pretty much doing what the competition did to rattle everyone's cage over the last few months, is just more unsettling. Based on some of the comments in this thread, this is not what was being looked for right now. As more of the hobby was taking a serious look at your product, the next logical step and what your base and newcomers were really looking for was a registry, not an overhaul of your look.
Post 548 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
After what happened over at the competition, the hobby was looking for consistency and stability and some were beginning to turn to CBCS to find that. This was the right time for CBCS to stay the course and not make these kind of changes to their branding and aesthetics.

This!
Post 549 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm simply saying that you simply cannot please EVERYONE no matter what you do

Hi, Bagofleas. I see what you are trying to get at here. But in my mind, this is a false equivalency. I don't think the population of people who didn't like the original design is the same size as the population of people who don't like the new design. I don't think it is even close, if these boards are a representative sample. And certainly the intensity of feeling is stronger now, too. At least, that is the impression I have; I'm a newbie here, so I may have missed grumbling about the old label.
Post 550 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
This was the right time for CBCS to stay the course and not make these kind of changes to their branding and aesthetics. As more of the hobby was taking a serious look at your product, the next logical step and what your base and newcomers were really looking for was a registry, not an overhaul of your look.

Correct. CBCS's move -- at this particular point in time -- to a new label design and logo (that is not at all attractive based on the overwhelming majority view of those posting on this thread) parallels the bone-headed move of CGC to go with a new label design and new case just 3 months ago. I mean, why now, with so many new customers migrating to CBCS??? All of this -- CGC slab-gate, CBCS stepping up to the plate by discounting fees on replacement holders, CGC correcting it's slab too late, and now CBCS changing its label and logo, all in the relatively short span of about 90 days -- couldn't have been scripted.

CBCS: IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT. The "old" label IS JUST FINE. Instead, please focus on improving the forum (particularly creating sub-forums so that raw and CBCS-slabbed books can be bought and sold) and create a CBCS census of graded books.
Post 551 IP   flag post
The new mantra of the business world:
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is."
Post 552 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023
Quote:
Quote:

I am SHOCKED by this response. I said over the road and on here that I would NEVER use CGC again with the way they handled things. Now I'm thinking everyone is just the same in business. If I was Maverick and paid for an item which was then changed without my knowing and then was told on the phone no refunds and you are only paying for a grade I wouldn't be happy. I'm sure people will now quote this saying I'm being a drama queen etc but this is now ridiculous to me. A customer is unhappy for a more than fair reason (not even up for discussion) and you tell him no refund. Urrgghh not impressed at all

I think this is expected, the first day or two. I think they are probably meeting now to determine the right way forward, or within the next day or two at least. I think the customer service reps are pushing back a little - which you should do with customers, in case it's just a blip. But when you find yourself pushing back too much as a company, then you have to pivot. I think they are in the pivot stage now, and are just trying to figure out what that means.

But to the original point - yes, Zack is incorrect when it comes to contract law (even though he is probably correct about CBCS's current response strategy). Contract law dictates that the paid-for product and service is either received by the customer, or must be refunded with full restitution (i.e., covering shipping costs). Even if CBCS put language in the terms saying the label could change, or "only the grade" is being paid for (which they didn't, by the way) I don't think that would hold up in court.

Maverick, I would suggest saying to them that you aren't willing to accept a "new new" label on your comics, unless you retain the right to a full refund - including shipping - if you don't like it. Otherwise, insist your comics are removed from the process and shipped back to you, then get your 'refund' from AmEx. That's if you want to play hardball, so to speak. If you want to wait and see the new version, legally speaking, you still are on solid ground.

But don't me mean to Zack, right? He seems like a good guy, and he's just scrambling today to figure out how to best do his job. Under competing and incompatible directives, I think.
Post 553 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023
Quote:
Quote:

I am SHOCKED by this response. I said over the road and on here that I would NEVER use CGC again with the way they handled things. Now I'm thinking everyone is just the same in business. If I was Maverick and paid for an item which was then changed without my knowing and then was told on the phone no refunds and you are only paying for a grade I wouldn't be happy. I'm sure people will now quote this saying I'm being a drama queen etc but this is now ridiculous to me. A customer is unhappy for a more than fair reason (not even up for discussion) and you tell him no refund. Urrgghh not impressed at all

I think this is expected, the first day or two. I think they are probably meeting now to determine the right way forward, or within the next day or two at least. I think the customer service reps are pushing back a little - which you should do with customers, in case it's just a blip. But when you find yourself pushing back too much as a company, then you have to pivot. I think they are in the pivot stage now, and are just trying to figure out what that means.

But to the original point - yes, Zack is incorrect when it comes to contract law (even though he is probably correct about CBCS's current response strategy). Contract law dictates that the paid-for product and service is either received by the customer, or must be refunded with full restitution (i.e., covering shipping costs). Even if CBCS put language in the terms saying the label could change, or "only the grade" is being paid for (which they didn't, by the way) I don't think that would hold up in court.

Maverick, I would suggest saying to them that you aren't willing to accept a "new new" label on your comics, unless you retain the right to a full refund - including shipping - if you don't like it. Otherwise, insist your comics are removed from the process and shipped back to you, then get your 'refund' from AmEx. That's if you want to play hardball, so to speak. If you want to wait and see the new version, legally speaking, you still are on solid ground.

But don't me mean to Zack, right? He seems like a good guy, and he's just scrambling today to figure out how to best do his job. Under competing and incompatible directives, I think.

I agree with where you are coming from saying that they can't just throw any old statement out there without a good think how to word it etc plus they don't want to rush and mess up.

With regards to Mavericks situation at hand though I always feel it is weak to give people excuses as to why maybe they answered the way they did etc. For me it is black and white. Forgetting what else is going on this customer has a 100% good reason why he personally is not happy. You simply agree as there is no way not to here and offer a refund or discuss terms. Anything else said is WRONG. You don't need time to think or see what is right and fair. It should be instantaneous (especially in this circumstance). I am getting fed up of grading companies as a whole now. They seem unable at some level (I am not saying in the past CBCS has not dealt well with issues blah blah) to get the basics right.

As I am typing this though I have realised I am unfair to tarnish CBCS with one guys response who works with them bahahaha. So CBCS give him a clip around the ear and tell him to offer this guy a refund or whatever and agree that he is in the right. So simple
Post 554 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

Did you review the "Service Terms and Conditions" of the CBCS Submission Form? Anyway, the legal fine print doesn't matter, what matters is whether the customer is satisfied or not.
Post 555 IP   flag post
601329 1176 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?