Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

CBCS launches New Logo and Brand756

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@SilverAgeFan Thanks, I missed you guys.
Post 476 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
What I don't want to happen is a flipping around on labels every few years. Get one and stick with it.

This. A label in this context should be consistent for at least a decade, in my opinion. Perhaps very minor tweaks, but fundamentally the same for a very long time.

The original, beautiful design could have lasted for many years. This new design... well, I think some of those who don't like it are being particularly vocal right now. This is because the corporate response to this sort of this is usually something like: "Let's revisit this in six months, see if the new label is still a problem for anyone by then. I think even the dissenters will grow to love it." And those who don't like (or really hate) the new label? Well, we just don't want to wait six months for a fix (or the chance of a fix). There is, I believe, the feeling that if it doesn't get fixed right away, it will persist for years.

And six months from now, it won't really be a *noticeable* problem anyway. Because CBCS has a fundamentally sound product and has done a great job - by all reports I've seen and read online - grading and protecting comic books. And business is booming. (Hence the longer wait times and "now hiring" posts.) Unfortunately by then, there will be another six months worth of - sorry - ugly labels out there. That fact will make it even less likely the label will be changed.

Part of the problem, too, is: these guys have been working on this rebranding effort for months (I assume). They had certain elements that they wanted the new design to address; they've tweaked it dozens of different ways, internally; and everyone in the loop was satisfied with the final design ... or at least stopped voicing dissent.

My gut tells me CBCS has been quite surprised there is any negative reaction at all. And I also suspect cognitive dissonance will be at play here, in the contrast between expectations and reality, pushing the narrative: "It's just a very vocal, and very small, minority. Most people love the new design. And most of the rest don't care one way or the other."

My judgement is, if CBCS doesn't announce a revisiting of the change, or offer to continue using the old labels for some customers, by the middle of next week, then the decision will be: let it lie, see where we are in six months. And they will probably make a post that says definitively: this is the label going forward, it's not going to change back.

I can already see how such an announcement will start ... "To our customers: Since we unveiled our new corporate brand on Friday we have been overwhelmed by the positive response. There are a lot of folks out there who get what we are trying to do, and support our efforts to redesign our brand and to highlight the best of CBCS - protecting comics for decades to come. To those we say: Thank you. Your support is incredibly important, both to us personally, and for the future success of this company.

"Moving forward, we will continue to solicit feedback from our customers and clients, and we will always strive to provide the best possible product and the best possible service.

"Inevitably, as with any company that changes and grows over time, there will be some who prefer things to stay the way they are..."

[FYI - the utter predictability of such a message should not be interpreted as impinging on, or refuting in any way, it's sincerity.]
Post 477 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS should be like coca-cola imo
Post 478 IP   flag post
Collector akionabr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
@matterus023 Thank you. Im not even that mad at cbcs. I understand ill have to wait til tomorrow to sort this out. The peanut gallery chiming in on what i should do with my money or how i should feel is the frustrating part.

Don't let the peanut gallery get to you. Some are just fanboys of this brand. I on the other hand believe those who PAY for a service should get what they PAID for. Its like buying a brand new red car but instead you get a brand new orange car... Sure a car is a car but its not what you paid for.
Post 479 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid,if you're not already some company's spokesperson,press secretary or Vice President for publi relations, you have missed your calling.
Post 480 IP   flag post

The new label has pros and cons. I think if CBCS addresses the biggest cons most people will be able to live with it.

I'm still waiting for CBCS to make an official statement before I decide what is the best course of action for my personal books.

I have a feeling that CBCS's labels are all pre-printed blanks with everything except the book and grade information already printed. This is probably why the old labels are not available, they ran through that inventory. That also means the old labels will not be a choice going forward.

If CBCS comes out and says something like "We have already invested in XX,XXX number of new label stock, for the time being this is what we have to work with for all slabs. We will take all feedback about the labels under consideration and take another look at improvements to the design when our stock is near to running out." I think I could live with that, I could at least hold off on slabbing keeper books while continuing to slab books intended for sale.

I also hope to see some responsibility taken regarding the fact that customers with books in the pipeline were stuck with a change without notice and not given a choice of keeping their books in or canceling their orders if they didn't like the change. They began slabbing new labels a full 4 days prior to letting people know what was happening. I had expected a much higher level of transparency from CBCS based upon their great reputation.
Post 481 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

I can already see how such an announcement will start ... "To our customers: Since we unveiled our new corporate brand on Friday we have been overwhelmed by the positive response. There are a lot of folks out there who get what we are trying to do, and support our efforts to redesign our brand...

Dear God, I hope that isn't even close to what CBCS puts out, because that would be an outright lie. There has not been an overwhelming positive response, and that sounds very similar to the garbage response that CGC told its customers about the Creep Engine.
Post 482 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by akionabr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
@matterus023 Thank you. Im not even that mad at cbcs. I understand ill have to wait til tomorrow to sort this out. The peanut gallery chiming in on what i should do with my money or how i should feel is the frustrating part.

Don't let the peanut gallery get to you. Some are just fanboys of this brand. I on the other hand believe those who PAY for a service should get what they PAID for. Its like buying a brand new red car but instead you get a brand new orange car... Sure a car is a car but its not what you paid for.
I see peanut gallery coming up again. In no way calling people a peanut gallery going to endear them to your thought process in anyway. It's almost as bad as throwing a fit about the new label and saying you would rather have your books in a creep engine slab.
Post 483 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego, Darth, well said and spoken. Clear, concise, and well thought out. Without any emotion involved your arguments carry a great deal more weight.
Post 484 IP   flag post
Let's take it easy guys, we are all on the same team here, regardless of our opinion about the label. Let's not start getting heated at each other.
Post 485 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Let's take it easy guys, we are all on the same team here, regardless of our opinion about the label. Let's not start getting heated at each other.

True, at the end of the day we are grown people and all we can do is wait. Welcome back btw.
Post 486 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
@Tedsaid,if you're not already some company's spokesperson,press secretary or Vice President for publi relations, you have missed your calling.

Heh. Thanks! I'm actually a computer scientist, but for the last few years that job has been mostly writing. And grant proposals must be persuasive, so I've had to get good at that sort of thing.

@DarthLego - I know the response *here* (and on CBCS's facebook page) has been mostly negative. But I suspect in-person reviews and feedback has been mostly positive. Otherwise, I doubt they would have gone forward with the change. Who knows - maybe they did perform some market testing behind the scenes, and that gave them confidence in the branding.

I am hoping, as others have suggested, the slabs look better in person. And I also assume there is some degree of just "getting used" to the new design over time. I think the shock and surprise really drove up the criticism - taking the decision out of people's hands really bumps up the negativity.

But I do miss getting the original design in hand. I'm new here, and my first two batches haven't even come back yet...
Post 487 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

True, at the end of the day we are grown people and all we can do is wait. Welcome back btw.
Sounds good to me. I do hope CBCS will address any concerns with a statement as soon as possible, maybe that would put some people at ease one way or the other.
Post 488 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a book that's in grading, so I'll wait and see what it looks like in hand.

My only complaint is the rivets, which I can live with just fine. The font doesn't bother me and I actually like the 3 sided border. It looks to me like it's bleeding into the comic.
Post 489 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds good to me. I do hope CBCS will address any concerns with a statement as soon as possible, maybe that would put some people at ease one way or the other.

Knowing CBCS I'm sure they will. They are one of the good ones as we all know.
Post 490 IP   flag post
Quote:
I hate the new Avatar makes me sick to my stomach. I can't believe you changed this with any prior authorization. What the hell is this. I'm kidding but your going back to the old Avatar on monday right?
Post 491 IP   flag post
Collector RHall1101 private msg quote post Address this user
Comic book fans are notoriously vocal about any changes to anything that they like.

I'm withholding judgement until I get my books back from CBCS. The books that I submitted are the very first ones that I've entrusted them to grade/slab. I've always been a CGC guy, have about 300 CGC graded slabs. They won't 'fit' with the rest of my collection and I'm okay with that.
Post 492 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
I hate the new Avatar makes me sick to my stomach. I can't believe you changed this with any prior authorization. What the hell is this. I'm kidding but your going back to the old Avatar on monday right?

Yea I agree. Whats with the avatar change? We did NOT approve this! lol.
Post 493 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, on Monday, it should be changed to the modern "Santa Claus" look for Randy Quaid.
Post 494 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid This forum is where the most loyal supporters of this company congregrate. If they are not running new ideas past us, then who are they running them past? If they are not getting feedback from us, then who are they getting it from? If they are not listening to this forum, if they have no intention of sharing their future ideas with this forum, if they don't want feedback from this forum, then what are we all even doing here?

Personally I think this forum IS their biggest source of customer feedback. Unless they are trolling the CGC forums I honestly do not know who they are listening to? Have a majority of people at Conventions been telling them the old label sucked and it never got discussed here? I'm really at a loss to understand where CBCS came under the impression that there was such a big problem with the old label that it needed to be changed. I'm wondering if CGC fans at cons have been saying things to CBCS staff just to mess with them, and CBCS took it heart?
Post 495 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Only 5 posts left. Sorry now 4 lol
Post 496 IP   flag post
What happens in 3 posts ?
Post 497 IP   flag post
Due to popular demand I have redesigned my Avatar.
Post 498 IP   flag post
Quote:
What happens in 3 posts ?

The end of all
Post 499 IP   flag post
Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
Do not ship my comics with the new label plz
Post 500 IP   flag post
This thread hits capacity and we start a new one.
Post 501 IP   flag post
That was 501 posts. What is going on. Mind blown
Post 502 IP   flag post
Forum upgrade, but they were afraid to announce it because of backlash from people who loved the threads getting locked at 500?
Post 503 IP   flag post
Quote:
Forum upgrade, but they were afraid to announce it because of backlash from people who loved the threads getting locked at 500?

I literally knew you would put that
Post 504 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego love the avatar
Post 505 IP   flag post
601294 1176 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?