Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

CBCS launches New Logo and Brand756

Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
@DertyComix yes. Have you seen the new branding? It's hideous IMO. However, they may be focusing it for younger people attached to mobile devices that prefer acronyms to actually using real words. :shrugs:

(yes I get the irony of using IMO )
Post 351 IP   flag post
Collector dmoloth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023

100% agree. The trick though I feel is to make the majority happy instead of unhappy. This is why I feel a label changed should be done public ally . Some will always be unhappy but at least they would of felt they still had a say in it all and could make a decision whether to send in for grading etc.

I doubt that would matter much because internet forums (in general) are a funny beast.

Don't allow a vote, and people enrage because they had no vote.

Allow a vote, and people enrage because they refuse to believe the results of the vote.

Throw in all of the personal motivators for why people hate a particular change, which is not always obvious, and you have a recipe for disaster in nearly all cases.

Think about all the people that have been angry for days without even knowing what any of this was for... that is pretty much what forums are. Large doses of anger and trolling with a small percentage of useful information and pleasant interaction. You just have to hope for the best.
Post 352 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
@Oxbladder totally agreed, and yes it is horrible. Not a big fan of it.
Post 353 IP   flag post
@DertyComix honestly I am all for customer input ... but only to a certain degree. If I had a vote I would have voted for the old design but it seems there were people that didn't like that. If those of us contributed our objections to the label change people nothing would have been changed.

(I also would have voted for the old label over the one alternative posted earlier in this thread which I think is far too busy and garish, however it did have some elements that looked alright. Again just my preference.)
Post 354 IP   flag post
@Oxbladder i too would have voted for the previous label. As for the other label, i would have voted on it my self. In my opinion it looked a while lot better than the new one, and yes it needs some work but it would been in a better direction than what they have now.
Post 355 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoloth
Quote:

100% agree. The trick though I feel is to make the majority happy instead of unhappy. This is why I feel a label changed should be done public ally . Some will always be unhappy but at least they would of felt they still had a say in it all and could make a decision whether to send in for grading etc.

I doubt that would matter much because internet forums (in general) are a funny beast.

Don't allow a vote, and people enrage because they had no vote.

Allow a vote, and people enrage because they refuse to believe the results of the vote.

Thrown in all of the personal motivators for why people hate a particular change, which is not always obvious, and you have a recipe for disaster in nearly all cases.

Think about all the people that have been in this thread, angry for days without even knowing what any of this was for... that is pretty much what forums are. Large doses of anger and trolling with a small percentage of useful information and pleasant interaction. You just have to hope for the best.

You're new here. Prior to 7-15 this forum was a very pleasant place filled with many very happy people that for the most had nothing to complain about except lack of emoticons and increased TATs because of CBCS's booming increase in business. This forum isn't the typical Internet sesspool, like the CGC forums are. CBCS made such a big to do about the big surprise coming on 7-15. Everyone was anticipating something great, and what we got was a turd label that's ugly unprofessional graphic design at it's worst. The old label did not need to be completely scrapped and redesigned, nothing was wrong with it, most were 100% happy with it. They began slabbing books with the label 4 days prior to the announcement. People with books already in the pipeline have now gotten books or will be getting books with an entirely different (one they might not be happy with) than what was advertised when they submitted their books days/weeks/months ago. Just the fact of fundementally changing a product alone, when a customer has paid for that product, without letting the customer have any choice in the matter, is enough reason for people to be upset. Add on top of that the change actually reduced the quality of said product (albeit aesethic quality, but this is a largely aesthetic hobby now isn't it?) and I feel the level of displeasure here has been very justified.
Post 356 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Sure but are the MAJORITY really upset? How many CBCS customers does this forum have? How many of those don't or do like the label? (on most forums the majority of the members do NOT post or visit all the time)

And so forth.

This is something for CBCS to work out but I truly believe most would agree this label could of looked FAR better.
Post 357 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
If your book left the grading room on, or after Monday morning (7/11), it will get a new label.

Post 358 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Sure but are the MAJORITY really upset? How many CBCS customers does this forum have? How many of those don't or do like the label? (on most forums the majority of the members do NOT post or visit all the time)

And so forth.

This is something for CBCS to work out but I truly believe most would agree this label could of looked FAR better.

Possibly but the consensus on what elements might be harder to nail down than you think.
Post 359 IP   flag post
Oh for sure but minimal changes would of been key here. An announcement should of been made about something like a change to the forum layout etc the an add on saying we have slightly changed the label. Higher quality/thicker paper and slight changes to colouring (less washed out) and text. This wouldn't of ruffled many feathers imo
Post 360 IP   flag post
@DarthLego I have books coming back that will have the new label and I honestly do not care. One I will sell and those that don't like the label will stay away, those that don't like CBCS will stay away and those that want the comic and could care less about the look of the label will buy it.

It like I always tried to say to the people who were against pressing disclosure and who thought that pressing isn't resto. Well, if the majority of people don't care about pressing being done and don't consider it resto then disclosing pressing shouldn't be a big deal.
Post 361 IP   flag post
All are opinions are just that OUR opinions. But the second an issue like this (if it truly is an issue) affects a company in a negative way things will be changed.

If this seems to make very little change then CBCS won't move on it if suddenly though there is a decent drop in submissions then they may consider that the new label is the main factor
Post 362 IP   flag post
Collector MegaMatt private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone from cbcs responded on here yet? Probably not.
They're most likely committed to this for SDCC. I think that will be the true test. The folks at the booth will get to hear first hand comments (good or bad) and determine the overall consensus for the new look. I'm sure they'll be swayed to go back or start over. However, we're not going to hear about any news on this until after SDCC. Not only are the banners and paperwork done for that event, but they're mostly traveling on Mon/Tues. My overall opinion is that this is more then just fanboys afraid of change and throwing tantrums. CBCS is a professional company, with a great case and top notch grading. They represent themselves as a professional company. To downgrade that appearance and that branding with a amateur logo & label is a huge step back. They deserve better and are better then that. Hopefully SDCC is the final barometer they need. We'll see.
Post 363 IP   flag post
Collector dmoloth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

You're new here. Prior to 7-15 this forum was a very pleasant place filled with many very happy people that for the most had nothing to complain about except lack of emoticons and increased TATs because of CBCS's booming increase in business. This forum isn't the typical Internet sesspool, like the CGC forums are.

Not as new as you would think. I have been lurking for a while as I pondered my first submission. I was looking for any mention of glaring problems in the CBCS process before throwing down about $1,000... which is roughly what my first submission was for.

That said, I have not found this forum particularly hostile. As a rule though, forums rarely begin that way... there is usually a honeymoon period.

Quote:

CBCS made such a big to do about the big surprise coming on 7-15.

And it was at this point interestingly enough (to me anyway) that this forum began to be like most others... arguing over what people thought should or should not be prioritized, for the most part kind of selfishly. It is amazingly typical on forums of all kinds.

Quote:

Everyone was anticipating something great,

Actually, most of what I saw was grumpy people dickering over what they wanted. It started positive enough, but I did not get a very warm and fuzzy feeling from the thread as a whole... in fact it was the first point where I thought "okay, so this is more like regular forums then".

Quote:

and what we got was a turd label that's ugly unprofessional graphic design at it's worst. The old label ... (deleted a lot of stuff)

I am not saying that people should or should not (or have no reason to be) angry. I am just saying that nothing would have prevented the anger because that is just the nature of forums.

Don't give people a vote, anger over having no say... give people a vote, anger because the results are believed to be fake or fixed or whatever. It is nothing new. In a way, it feels a bit more normal.
Post 364 IP   flag post
Collector Verde private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I'd freak out if I sent my books, and was told that they changed the label without telling me and saying I didn't have a choice. I'd be asking for a refund or at least partial refund.

I believe Captain Asprin has already made that point but, that's where the emphasis should be. Not the ugly label, but the fact they changed what they described in the middle of the Grading Process.

And then saying it's set in stone without even polling or questions? I'd lose my snikt.
Post 365 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I hope that the Aspen issue and the new logo don't change the overall tone of the forums. I have been a part of CGC and other comic related forums for a very long time and don't think I ever posted and RARELY even read anything anymore. I don't need to get caught up in forum drama. (NOTE: I am NOT referring to any particular people or points of view- just the general bitchy clique mentality that seems to permeate most forums). So far, I haven't seen that here but it looks like it might be developing. I've already said I don't like the new logo but it's not a big enough deal for me to worry about. I do respect opinions on both sides though. My question to the group is this. If you have a strong POV (either way) why not see what you can do instead of wondering if CBCS is going to take action? Start a petition thread for your POV. Love it? start a "love it" thread or email chain and ask people who love (or like)it to just add their screen names without comments - Hate it? start a "hate it" thread and do the same. CBCS will see real info. (and so will we)- I understand that this forum doesn't represent every person that submits to CBCS but we can only work with with what we have.

If you need me, I'll be over in the corner playing with my comics.
Post 366 IP   flag post
@Verde the thing that sucks about this is that i am oe of those people who submitted for the first time. My 5 books that i have submitted are ruffly about a week or two out from grading. Having invested time in this to just pull my books for a refund is heart breaking. I have made a decision to keep my books going in result that this will all pan out in the future for future submissions. I have started planing on making another submission but i am still questioning if i want my prized books to be encapsulated with these horrible labels.
Post 367 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a strong CBCS supporter, but there are aspects of the new label that doesn't work for me as a collector. From a dealer's perspective, the new label design matters less because there are no issues with the holder or perception of the holder that compell disclosure to customers.

As a collector, however, I can't see supporting the label change for additions to my own collection. The new CBCS label design isn't in the same league as CGCs double-down debauchery, but the aesthetics just don't work for me.

I'd urge those making decisions at CBCS to seriously consider allowing the old label as an option. This would be a wonderful alternative that would undoubtably please folks on both sides of the issue. It would also demonstrate how CBCS sets itself apart from CGC serving customers.
Post 368 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe the option of not putting the label in there at all and write the grade on the top of the inner well with a sharpie.
THAT would be better than their new label.
Post 369 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
I'm a strong CBCS supporter, but there are aspects of the new label that doesn't work for me as a collector. From a dealer's perspective, the new label design matters less because there are no issues with the holder or perception of the holder that compell disclosure to customers.

As a collector, however, I can't see supporting the label change for additions to my own collection. The new CBCS label design isn't in the same league as CGCs double-down debauchery, but the aesthetics just don't work for me.

I'd urge those making decisions at CBCS to seriously consider allowing the old label as an option. This would be a wonderful alternative that would undoubtably please folks on both sides of the issue. It would also demonstrate how CBCS sets itself apart from CGC serving customers.

Best post in this thread.
Post 370 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

One of the mods mentioned that the new labels weren't available anymore. Wouldn't whoever works on labels just need perforated paper, toner and a printer to make the labels?
Post 371 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

One of the mods mentioned that the new labels weren't available anymore. Wouldn't whoever works on labels just need perforated paper, toner and a printer to make the labels?

My guess is that they are pre-printed blanks with book specific information lasered on before encapsulation.
Post 372 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
I use Gimp for my graphic design. Not going to share what things I design though, that would be like taking off Batman's mask, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Sigs and SilverAgeFan are plotting my demise. (j/k)

Of course not!

You don't need our help.
zing
HOIST!HOIST!

Quote:
@MR_SigS What are you getting at?

Sorry. I thought it was obvious that I was taking your jest a little further.

Quote:
@MR_SigS Another member asked about software, I offered advice about software. Not sure where you're going with that, or what you are taking from it.

I hope you're not suggesting your post was none of my business and I had no place commenting.
Post 373 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego,My dear Darth, to paraphrase, "the world is a much more interesting place with you in it"
Plotting your demise would be like taking Lex away from Superman, the Joker away from Batman, Loki away from Thor, and my ex away from me.....
Post 374 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS,still onboard with the plan for Darth?
Post 375 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Nah. I was just trying (and failing, apparently) to joke around WITH him. I'm too busy with important stuff. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

Now where are those toenail clippers?
Post 376 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS, attached to the battery posts. Remember?
Post 377 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
As much as I don't care for the new logo and label, it honestly doesn't make too much difference to me. What IS important is that the grading is consistent and the slab doesn't damage any comics. I generally don't slab books I intend to keep, I prefer to be able to hold them and read them should I desire it. I only slab books intended for sale. And if I have a high grade desirable book for sale, I can't imagine someone not buying it because they don't like the label on the slab. That said, I do hope CBCS listens to their customers and ditches this new label.
Post 378 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
SteveRicketts - if you are still on here, there may be a problem with one small piece of the website. The 'news item' for the Tampa Bay Comic Con advertises on-site grading for this convention. This on-site grading has a higher cost scheme for all the levels ... which I assume is due to the rapid turnaround and shipping / insurance savings.

However, I 'tested' the checkout just to see what would happen. (The news item says: "CBCS encourages our customers to fill out our ON LINE SUBMISSION FORM prior to submitting books for on-site grading." )

It appears that the online submission form uses the normal pricing scheme, even when "Tampa Bay Comic Con" is selected during checkout. I believe this will cause confusion and resentment, for those people who will suddenly be charged some ~50% more when they bring their comics to the convention. Unless the intent is to have cheaper rates for those who use the online form? Or perhaps the higher rates are in error?

Also, the link on the Tampa Bay page labeled "ON LINE SUBMISSION FORM" is not clickable if I am already logged in. I had to log out and return to that page to get it to work. FYI - I completed the entire checkout for 1 modern book, except for the final "Place Order" step.

I'm posting this on the forum because I initially worried that all the prices had suddenly increased, or were in the process of being increased. Then I realized it was just for the Tampa Bay con. I thought it might help avoid some confusion by posting my mistake here, in case others stumble onto that page and jump to the wrong conclusion. Thanks.
Post 379 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
SteveRicketts - if you are still on here, there may be a problem with one small piece of the website. The 'news item' for the Tampa Bay Comic Con advertises on-site grading for this convention. This on-site grading has a higher cost scheme for all the levels ... which I assume is due to the rapid turnaround and shipping / insurance savings.

However, I 'tested' the checkout just to see what would happen. (The news item says: "CBCS encourages our customers to fill out our ON LINE SUBMISSION FORM prior to submitting books for on-site grading." )

It appears that the online submission form uses the normal pricing scheme, even when "Tampa Bay Comic Con" is selected during checkout. I believe this will cause confusion and resentment, for those people who will suddenly be charged some ~50% more when they bring their comics to the convention. Unless the intent is to have cheaper rates for those who use the online form? Or perhaps the higher rates are in error?

Also, the link on the Tampa Bay page labeled "ON LINE SUBMISSION FORM" is not clickable if I am already logged in. I had to log out and return to that page to get it to work. FYI - I completed the entire checkout for 1 modern book, except for the final "Place Order" step.

I'm posting this on the forum because I initially worried that all the prices had suddenly increased, or were in the process of being increased. Then I realized it was just for the Tampa Bay con. I thought it might help avoid some confusion by posting my mistake here, in case others stumble onto that page and jump to the wrong conclusion. Thanks.

Passed on to our developers. Thanks!
Post 380 IP   flag post
598082 1176 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?