Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversQuestionsSignaturesSigning OpportunitiesToys

Red, Black, Silver, Gold, or Copper?743

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I've been getting Silver and Black autographs using sharpies on my books for years. I just discovered Gold and Copper sharpies. After getting a recent Kevin Eastman autograph back I hunted down a Gold and Copper set of sharpies at Office Depot last week. For some reason, to me a "Warlock and the Infinity Watch" #1 signed by Stan Lee on the cover in gold or copper would look gorgeous.

What's your favorite color of choice? Of course, color of cover and inks are dependant, I'm sure. For instance, I had Vampirella #1 (Dynamite) by Tim Sale, Jeph Loeb, and Eric Trautman signed in red sharpie.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
Im not an expert but i had read at one time that some sharpies of different color could damage a book. Like i said im not an expert, is there any one out there that could elaborate more on this? But i did purchase a book that had a gold signature by George Pérez in gold, it looked nice on the cover. I also do have a Joe Rubinstein signature in silver on a dark cover and that turned out to be awsome.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Make sure the ink is acid free, or it can eat through the paper over the years.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
biggest factor is how and where you display the piece once it's been signed. If you don't keep the item in a dark closet or drawer, the best place to display it is an interior wall that receives no direct or reflected sunlight. I would also avoid fluorescent lighting too.

All sharpies are fine for signing books/paper.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DertyComix
Im not an expert but i had read at one time that some sharpies of different color could damage a book. Like i said im not an expert, is there any one out there that could elaborate more on this? But i did purchase a book that had a gold signature by George Pérez in gold, it looked nice on the cover. I also do have a Joe Rubinstein signature in silver on a dark cover and that turned out to be awsome.

The old pre90s sharpies would fade and yellow over time, they fixed the formula
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cjbehr948 private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on the book. If it's a black & white sketch cover and I'm getting it signed, I like to go with red or blue so I can actually see the signature.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
I bring a fistful of different colored sharpies with me when I go to cons. it all depends on the cover and how its colored. im not sure if anyone else does the same thing, but I think it looks neat
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector QuantumTunnelRat private msg quote post Address this user
I always bring a pack of metallics (gold, silver, bronze) and I have a variety of colors for sketch covers. My craziest so far has been a signature by Carrie Fisher on a Princess Leia #1 Midtown B&W variant with a pink sharpie. Carrie liked the pink color so much she nearly kept it for herself. I know most people prefer color variants, but the b&w variants can be fun when you have a rainbow assortment of sharpies.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Metallics can dry slowly. You need to be careful of smudging the sig.
Post 9 IP   flag post
596795 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?