Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

ComicSkin Product Review (YouTube Video)735

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Been waiting awhile for someone to review this product. Also did not know about the clear backing boards they just came out with, those will be awesome for wraparound covers.
http://www.comicskin.com/

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego That's really neat! I remember seeing the comicskins on another website so the lizard logo threw me off. Not sure if I'll start buying comic skins but it's a great option.

I used to use Mill Cases when they used to be available at a local store but they stopped stocking them a while ago.

The clear backing boards are interesting, too.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting product. I messaged them to see what the inner sleeve is made from. If it's something decent, I'll pick one up.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm definitely getting some of the clear backing boards, I've always hated having to hide a nice wraparound cover behind a board.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Darth if you decide to order some if you could would you contact the company and see what the material they are using for the boards and what thicken they are on the sight they don't give really any info on the board except outer dimensions.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Interesting product. I messaged them to see what the inner sleeve is made from. If it's something decent, I'll pick one up.
If you would could you share what it is when they get back to you I would also be kind of interested in what the materials are although with some of the price points you would hope it's a good material
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like an interesting product. I'll be watching to see how board members like it. Watching the video, I was wondering how long it will be before someone is selling "graded" comics in these holders.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Good stuff. Looks like some nice options. I will have to order some off those clear backing boards. Maybe one can be used in front of the comic too. Little extra protection at a reasonable price.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Darth if you decide to order some if you could would you contact the company and see what the material they are using for the boards and what thicken they are on the sight they don't give really any info on the board except outer dimensions.

Wouldn't they have to be made out of solid Mylar so as not to harm your comic?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I sent an email asking what materials are used. Will post the reply when / if I get one.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I am impressed by the product. Not by the video.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
If you would could you share what it is when they get back to you I would also be kind of interested in what the materials are although with some of the price points you would hope it's a good material

I'll definitely share when I hear back from them.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The holder has an inner sleeve which you would think would be made of mylar. It looks like maybe one could use there own mylar inside the plastic slab if they wanted to. I still think using a mylar and then slipping it into a top loader gives nice protection at a lot cheaper cost.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
I just ordered both the slab and some of the boards. Very curious about these products. If they work out, I will get some of the slabs for my signed books.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The slabs are pricey for regular use compared to toploaders. I use 4mil mylar and toploaders for my good books.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'd use it for a rotating display. Just change out the book when I get tired of looking at the current one.

That's the only reason I've slabbed books that weren't for sale in the first place, they look nice.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
The slabs are pricey for regular use compared to toploaders. I use 4mil mylar and toploaders for my good books.

I currently use top-loaders with stiffer Mylar and backing boards for raw books. Solid, inexpensive, light weight protection, practical for maintaining a private collection or convention wall display.

I'm always interested in innovative ideas for raw comic storage. "ComicSkins" are intriguing, but I can foresee at least a few issues dealers might need to consider in respect to both cost and practical application (store and convention wall displays) of any holder designed to be reusable.

For instance, do you sell books in reusable cases to customers, refuse to sell the case or insist on charging extra if they want it? If push comes to shove, do you bundle the replacement cost of the free range holder into the price of the book?

Surely questions would arise from interested customers at shows and in some instances it might end up being a deal breaker where none exists with cheaper old school alternatives like Mylar sleeves and backing boards.

I do think the clear backing boards are a great idea for providing front & back cover clarity while limiting the unnecessary handling of books. If a customer is then interested in examining the interiors, it's a simple matter to remove the book for a closer inspection because you're that much closer to a sale.

Also, at around 79 cents apiece the backing boards would be a real advantage for raw books above a certain price point as long as the material is archivally safe.

Obviously, ComicSkins are no substitute for unbiased third party grading as a product like this takes arbitration out of the equation, but for a personal collection of raw books not intended for resale, these guys may be on to something!
Post 17 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica Do you write for a living?
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Top loaders a.k.a. Coimc paper slicers of Death
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

Ugh...
Post 20 IP   flag post
@DrWatson have a dude.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

LOL! No, ironically. Lot of folks ask me that. My wife is the author (#5 on the Times list today). I'm pretty sure she has a non-compete clause in our marriage contract.

I'm just an artist, actor and occasional annoyer. If I have a saving grace it's my passion for investment grade comics and art, ...and of course, fine ale.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

It puts the comic into the mylar, then it puts the mylar into the toploader...sorry I think I was channeling Silence of the Lambs there.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

It puts the comic into the mylar, then it puts the mylar into the toploader...sorry I think I was channeling Silence of the Lambs there.

Watson was Hannibal lecturing.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Quote:

Watson was Hannibal lecturing.

If I could. I would. I swear.
Post 25 IP   flag post
You make a good point Catman about conventions. The Comicskins would be nice for displaying high dollar or real high grade comic books as wall books at a convention. I guess one could price the book with the Comicskins and then if someone wants a break on the book, one could offer it for $15 less by removing and selling the book without the Comicskin. I do not have all my wall books with Mylar and top loaders protecting my wall books and I get paranoid that one will fall off my display and get damaged. I am sure there are some horror stories about that. I have scene it happen too many times with dealers with inside isle displays getting knocked off by a dealer behind them or next to them. If I am displaying books then I prefer a wall spot to support my wall display. I think I will just order about 3 dozen more top loaders .
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Ugh...

Double ugh. A real writer wouldn't use so many bad puns.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
They look interesting but I think I will wait for some more member reviews before getting one. The price seems pretty good.

My only negative would be I'm Not crazy about the huge dull black label area at the top.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
They look interesting but I think I will wait for some more member reviews before getting one. The price seems pretty good.

My only negative would be I'm Not crazy about the huge dull black label area at the top.

The black label is removable and can be replaced with your own custom labels.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego I think that'd be the perfect use for Thanos' label concepts instead of as an alternative graded label
Post 30 IP   flag post
600838 79 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?