Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgePop CultureQuestions

Whiz Comics 6.5 on C'Link731

Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
This book is back in a major way I believe. A 9.0 sold by Comic Connect back in 2012 bought 280,000+. With four years having passed, and no other higher than 5.0 unrestored copy (to my mind )coming to market since, where do you think this mega key will end up? My guess is VERY close to the 9.0.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think it will hit anywhere near the numbers of the 9.0. The 9.0 is the highest graded unrestored copy, there are (3) books higher than the 6.5 and another equal to it. I would assume the 6.5 to sell for 180 to 220K. If the 9.0 comes back around it would likely crack $400K this time around.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Resurrection respectable hammer prices either way. Appreciate the feedback. And totally agree on the scenario if the 9.0 surfaced again.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hey, if I own a 6.5 copy I am listing it at $250K and seeing what I can negotiate. Make it available for about 3 weeks, put it in a box and wait months and then list it in one of the grand auctions.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Sounds like a plan! 🍺
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Wasn't it a 6.5 that sold for 170K a few years back? I remember that that was a stunning number at the time. The market has definitely caught up. I think it'll do 250K, possibly a little more. Problem is that Whiz 2 (1) has been relegated to second tier status over the decades with regards to GA keys. Don't know how much that's changed recently
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
Wasn't it a 6.5 that sold for 170K a few years back? I remember that that was a stunning number at the time. The market has definitely caught up. I think it'll do 250K, possibly a little more. Problem is that Whiz 2 (1) has been relegated to second tier status over the decades with regards to GA keys. Don't know how much that's changed recently

Rob's site says a 6.0 copy sold for $176,000 in 2011.

http://itsalljustcomics.com/100000-club/
Post 7 IP   flag post
I agree on how it had seemed to have lost its luster a few years back in comparison to other GA keys. But I think it's coming back (certain Fawcetts in general seem to be getting nice prices -Marvel Family #1 anyone?).
I know theres a notion that movie buzz does didn't affect GA books, but I think there are exceptions to the rule. DC has big screen plans for the Captain. This may be what's driving those well heeled enough to invest in this book, if pure love for the hobby isn't the motivation.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
I agree on how it had seemed to have lost its luster a few years back in comparison to other GA keys. But I think it's coming back (certain Fawcetts in general seem to be getting nice prices -Marvel Family #1 anyone?).
I know theres a notion that movie buzz does didn't affect GA books, but I think there are exceptions to the rule. DC has big screen plans for the Captain. This may be what's driving those well heeled enough to invest in this book, if pure love for the hobby isn't the motivation.
Marvel Family 1 was an affordable minor key (of one of my favorite characters) that went from a "pricey" key to, I am not buying that.. All based off speculation. I doubt highly we will see much speculation price padding on a major key that is 6 figures.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii

First Black Adam.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Stelbert_Stylton Yes, and it went under the radar for years before DC Comics made the character a mover and shaker in the DCU. And then the Dwayne Johnson rumors started too and 'Wham' hot book. That is the example I have always sighted as GA book affected by movie buzz.
And like Resurrection said, six figure books are likely not really affected by movie buzz/box office ( unless you're Captain America Comics #1).
Post 11 IP   flag post
598019 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?