Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversCBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Silver AgeSignatures

My first order710

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I just created the order and sent them off via UPS 2nd day air, should be there Tuesday. Here's my first order:

Journey into Mystery #83 GRR Edition signed by Stan Lee (I have the record as well, in pristine condition)
Amazing Spider-man #50 signed by Stan Lee
Deadpool #1 (2012) First Printing signed by Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan, and Tony Moore.
Detective Comics #1 (2011) First Printing signed by Tony Daniel
Iron Man #128 Demon in a Bottle
Star Wars Volume 2 #1 Hot Topic Variant Recalled Edition
The Amazing Spider-man #299 signed by Todd McFarlane
Walking Dead Image Firsts Edition First Printing #1 Signed and sketched by Tony Moore
Watchmen #1 First Printing
Astonishing Tales Volume 1 #22 Signed "To Michael" Dick Ayers
Star Trek #21 (Gold Key) signed by William Shatner
Thor the Mighty Volume 1 #158 1968 Origin Retold
Silver Surfer #4 Signed by Stan Lee (on the board!)

I hope I packed everything properly. Bags and boards, loose not taped shut. Seperated out by consumer, modern, quickstream, expanded, etc in their own bubble wrap padded envelopes labeled with invoices highlighted and order number on each envelope. Those were bubble wrapped loose not taped and shoved in a million packing peanuts. Should be protected hopefully. As I said, this is my first order and I'm very nervous.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Man that's quite an invoice, be worthy of an unboxing video when it comes back.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
After September when I get back from Rose City Comicon and getting those 10 books + 1 VIP auto ticket = 11 total signed by stan lee. Here's order #2 hopefully:

Journey into Mystery 109 signed by Stan Lee
Marvel Premiere #47 signed by Stan Lee 1st/Origin of Antman
Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 #1 first printing, covers detached, signed by Stan Lee
Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 #1 Golden Record Reprint w/Record signed by Stan Lee
Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 #1 Golden Record Reprint w/o Record signed by Stan Lee
Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 #121 signed by Gerry Conway and Stan Lee
Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 #122 signed by Gerry Conway and Stan Lee
Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 #129 signed by Gerry Conway and Stan Lee
Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 #300 signed by Stan Lee
Avengers Volume 1 Annual 10 1st Rogue, signed by Chris Claremont and Stan Lee
New Mutants Volume 1 #98 1st Deadpool, Domino, etc. signed by Rob Liefeld and Stan Lee

Lotta $$$ Jesus
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
After September when I get back from Rose City Comicon and getting those 10 books + 1 VIP auto ticket = 11 total signed by stan lee. Here's order #2 hopefully:

Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 #1 first printing, covers detached, signed by Stan Lee
Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 #1 Golden Record Reprint w/Record signed by Stan Lee
Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 #1 Golden Record Reprint w/o Record signed by Stan Lee
New Mutants Volume 1 #98 1st Deadpool, Domino, etc. signed by Rob Liefeld and Stan Lee

Lotta $$$ Jesus
Quote:

Lotta $$$ Jesus

Yes, I bet that cost you a pretty penny and that was just for the autographs. My first order was for (77) comic books a a price of $2,024!! About 99.9% will stay in my collection. This isn't a cheap hobby by any means. Just ask anybody.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Yes, I bet that cost you a pretty penny and that was just for the autographs. My first order was for (77) comic books a a price of $2,024!! About 99.9% will stay in my collection. This isn't a cheap hobby by any means. Just ask anybody.

How true! Even without the slabbing it is most definitely not a cheap hobby.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Autograph hunting is part of the fun to me. It's getting harder for me to do though with the crowds and traffic.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
This isn't a cheap hobby by any means. Just ask anybody.

I wouldn't necessarily say 'anybody'. I can think of a couple people that would have made a suggestion that would have saved you $2024

But I'm gonna try not to do that too much here.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
It's because of the expense of the silver age I collect that I flip. I try to buy multiples of current "hot" comics, slab them and then resell to modern collectors to finance my collection. Do you guys do the same?
For instance, right now I'm waiting on several WW#38's with the Finch cover to come back from grading. Paid less than $100 each but know I can get $500 each for 'em. 9.8's anyhow. What do you guys think?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
It's because of the expense of the silver age I collect that I flip. I try to buy multiples of current "hot" comics, slab them and then resell to modern collectors to finance my collection. Do you guys do the same?
For instance, right now I'm waiting on several WW#38's with the Finch cover to come back from grading. Paid less than $100 each but know I can get $500 each for 'em. 9.8's anyhow. What do you guys think?

If it works for you and you're having fun, then go for it.
This is far too busy for me (IOW, I'm too lazy for this). I just save my money to fund my SA collection.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
That's my plan with some of the hot variants coming out, get doubles to flip one or get the set and flip the sketch cover. Hopefully each time I can get enough selling the one slab to cover the whole cost of buying and slabbing both.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
awesome collection bro. make sure you make a video as i am curios to what grades you get. cheers
Post 11 IP   flag post
And I don't feel bad either. We do all the work, pay all expenses upfront and sell a presentation ready comic to someone that wants it. Everyone's happy.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm going to try and sell everything listed except the Spider-mans and Watchmen. (They would break up my sets, can't part with them) I need to recover some money from several recent acquisitons recently. Ebay has selling limits on me. Any ideas where I can sell my stuff without being tied down to restrictions of ebay? Thanks
Post 13 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke, I personally haven't bought from Craigslist, but I see a LOT of books for sale there. At least around Florida.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke You have some really nice books in that batch. I'm really interested to see what the Spidey 121, 122, and 129 come back as.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Me too! The 121-122 are great solid copies. In truth the 129 has some ballpoint pen marks going diagonally once on page one, once on page 9, and 3 times on another page. It doesn't affect the story and it's light but annoying as shit when talking about an otherwise mint $1000 that's now probably worth $100 so yeah I am extremely anxious on that one.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Me too! The 121-122 are great solid copies. In truth the 129 has some ballpoint pen marks going diagonally once on page one, once on page 9, and 3 times on another page. It doesn't affect the story and it's light but annoying as shit when talking about an otherwise mint $1000 that's now probably worth $100 so yeah I am extremely anxious on that one.

Best of luck, and hope to see them soon!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck with your books. Should be exciting to get back. Which one is your favorite of the Silver age and which silver age book would you say has the chance of getting the highest grade?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Out of order 1:

Favorite highest grade silver age book: Journey into Mystery #83 GRR Edition signed by Stan Lee (I have the record as well, in pristine condition) Should pass as an 8.0 or 8.5.

Favorite book due to presentation and display: Deadpool #1 (2012) First Printing signed by Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan, and Tony Moore. This books is gorgeous with the cover art and all the signatures all over it. This book is an easy 9.2 or higher. I talked with those 3 guys for over an hour. Tony gave me his Walking Dead 1 in the same order sent.

Highest grade: New Mutants Volume 1 #98 1st Deadpool, Domino, etc. signed by Rob Liefeld and Stan Lee. It'd be shocked if it came back less than a 9.4.

Lowest grade silver age: Silver Surfer #4 Signed by Stan Lee (on the board!). Might come back as a 4.5 or slightly lower?

This will be a very curious lot to see what grades they come back with. Almost all books after 1977 in the order are VF or better, mostly NM.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Did my first submission; Crime Suspenstories 16 and 19 signed by Al Feldstein and Marie (blue)Severin and a Shazam 1 signed by CC Beck. Extremely jealous of Captain Mike's pile. My problem is I have a hard time selling any thing worthy of slabbing. More power to him. Sure like the CBCS
Post 20 IP   flag post
Hey thanks! Yeah I'm going to sell some, and keep what's most important to me. It's hard distinguishing which is what. I want to get my hands on an early tales from the crypt comic
Post 21 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel for sure I have almost 800 graded. So you do the math. Not cheap, but we'll worth it.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
800? Quite the 401K, although the $ is not the point to me. I read everything I submit, and most I have worthless copies or reprints to read anyway.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan

I think I may want a WW38FinchVariant in 9.8 for $500. Could you contact me when they come in?
Post 24 IP   flag post
@dpiercy, certainly, if you don't mind, send me a PM. That way I'll know. Should be within a week or so. And that's much less than the scalpers on eBay are charging.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Books just went to QC, (quality control). Next step is shipping. Won't be long now!!! I didn't think at my age I'd get excited. I was wrong. Yippee Kai Yay Mother.....
Post 26 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@doog lol, that's only the ones I have graded. Another 1000 to go hopefully will get done in coming years.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
The Kool Aid is strong in this one.
Post 28 IP   flag post
600671 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?