Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
SignaturesSigning Opportunities

Stan Lee charging $100 per sign on final con704

Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
I'm done with Harley for the moment, I've got 3?Artgerm sets to send in though. IF I ever see them!
Post 126 IP   flag post
@Stelbert_Stylton, Stu, as always, I look to you and Darth to keep me straight.
Post 127 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck slabbing a watermelon 🍉 in a hermetically sealed case that prevents rot. 😝
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't pay more for anyone's sig. I respect what Stan has done but I also think he has been a bit of a jerk and tried his damndest to make sure the spotlight shines on him and away from the many other creators that contributed to Marvel becoming the company it is. Take away Stan from Kirby or Ditko and you have an inferior product all around. If you don't believe me read Stan's book where Jack or Steve did not work with him. Stan needed someone to bring his stories to the page and the input of Jack and others to make it work.

I am not a fan of anyone who tries to take away from what ultimately is often a collaboration. There are not very many books out there that had only one person do it all.

Now I also fall in the camp with not understanding at all why someone would get a signature of a creator who didn't work on that issue at all. No one wants to know my opinion on grading a book with a sig because it just makes them mad
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
I think it's an insult to the artist/writer to ask them to sign something they had nothing to do with.

I also think it's an insult to ask them to sign the slab.
If it's a piece of work that doesn't feature anything that ties back to them I would agree. But if they have an indirect connection to the work I would disagree. I had Mike Zeck sign my Transformers issue 3 because it features Spider-Man in the black suit. There's no direct connection for him to this book, but there's the indirect connection.

Indirect doesn't work for me.

Do you count actors who played the character in a movie signing the book?

I have even seen Lance Henrickson sign an Aliens comic that wasn't even a movie tie-in and Bishop wasn't even in the story.
Post 130 IP   flag post

@Oxbladder, what I said, and this is my opinion only, is if someone signed a book and was NOT creatively involved with tha particular issue, then I believe, that book could (should?) receive a lower grade. Otherwise based on current grading standards, ANYONE could sign and the score would not be lowered. Okay guys I'm ready for castration.....
Post 131 IP   flag post
@Oxbladder, in other words, I agree,
Post 132 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
@Oxbladder, what I said, and this is my opinion only, is if someone signed a book and was NOT creatively involved with tha particular issue, then I believe, that book could (should?) receive a lower grade. Otherwise based on current grading standards, ANYONE could sign and the score would not be lowered. Okay guys I'm ready for castration.....

Yeah, I guess this make some sense. So what is the difference between Hugh Jackman signing a Wolverine book and a cosplayer who looks like Wolverine signing the book?

Neither were involved in making the book.
Post 133 IP   flag post
If be okay with an actor signing if he/she played that character. But it's tricky. Robert Downey Jr. Did an amazing job as Iron man. But that's in the last 10 years. For all you Iron Man fans, IF thi had a 9.6-9.8 Iron Man #1, would you have Downey sign it?
Post 134 IP   flag post
Quote:
If be okay with an actor signing if he/she played that character. But it's tricky. Robert Downey Jr. Did an amazing job as Iron man. But that's in the last 10 years. For all you Iron Man fans, IF thi had a 9.6-9.8 Iron Man #1, would you have Downey sign it?

I remember at last years Wondercon, a guy brought a stack of old "Planet of the Apes" comics and had Gary Oldman signing them and being witnessed by CGC.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Hmmm. Are you talking about high grade books only? Because a sig on the cover, no matter whose it is, doesn't really affect a VG or lower book.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I guess my problem with paying for any creator's sig is that I have already paid a bundle of my hard earned cash for that creator's books, travelled to the convention, etc. which all helps to pay the creator so why should I pay any more?
Post 137 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
I guess my problem with paying for any creator's sig is that I have already paid a bundle of my hard earned cash for that creator's books, travelled to the convention, etc. which all helps to pay the creator so why should I pay any more?

Totally agree. I have autographs from over 100 creators and I've never paid one penny for any of them.
Post 138 IP   flag post
@SilverAgeFan I believe grade should solely be based on the physical condition of the book. If a sig is verified then it's not considered damage, unverified it's writing on the book and damage. Now if the sig has nothing to do with the book I believe it should devalue in the marketplace, but that's up to consumers to decide. I think CBCS downgrading physical grade for a verified sig would be like jumping into a bottomless pit, there would be no end in sight and it would cause more problems than the one it tries to solve. Steve Rickets explained it pretty well.
Post 139 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@SilverAgeFan I believe grade should solely be based on the physical condition of the book. If a sig is verified then it's not considered damage, unverified it's writing on the book and damage. Now if the sig has nothing to do with the book I believe it should devalue in the marketplace, but that's up to consumers to decide. I think CBCS downgrading physical grade for a verified sig would be like jumping into a bottomless pit, there would be no end in sight and it would cause more problems than the one it tries to solve. Steve Rickets explained it pretty well.

Agreed. Verified adds value, otherwise is graffiti or scribble
Post 140 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego I completely agree. There's a disconnect between a grade of a book and a value of a book. If I drew and submitted my own comic and it graded a 10, would it be worth anything? Not likely because my drawing sucks. The value of a book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Now, some people are saying, if they signed the book, it's no different than someone that had nothing to do with the book sign it. You are absolutely correct, but you are missing a KEY piece of the puzzle. Your signature is not worth anything if it is not sought after. Once you become famous and people clamor for your signature, then the items you sign will likely be valuable. Take it one step further. Let's remove the value equation. Let's say Norman Reedus signed a walking dead t-shirt. The shirt's face value is only going to be $10, but put it on ebay and the shirt may sell for $50. Can anyone say for sure it was his autograph? Probably only the actor could verify that. However, some people are willing to take the chance that it's real and bid according to their reasonable assumption.
Post 141 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Lots of good points here. I feel there should be some artistic connection to the book being autographed. Artistic could apply to a movie star who portrayed the character like Ryan Reynolds signing a Deadpool book as an example. It does bug me to see books signed that Stan Lee had NOTHING to do with. Even though he was the co creator of Spiderman, I would not pursue a signed book like ASM 300. I would take a book like Savage She Hulk #1 which he wrote over the ASM 300 any day.
Post 142 IP   flag post
This problem would go a long way to fixing itself if the creator community would just police itself. If Stan Lee refused to sign Darth Vader, Batman, and Mickey Mouse I am sure the majority would back him up on that. But I don't see that happening, he seems content to continue signing drek in exchange for $100 bills. Hopefully other creators have more self control.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Why blame Stan though? Look at it from his point of view. He has fans and some fans think that it's funny to have him sign batman or stuff that is not normally associated with him. If he refuses, they think he's a jerk and they tell their friends and those friends post on message forums about how Stan spit on their friend while shoving him down the stairs. Yeah, he could refuse, but it wouldn't help his nice guy image that he wants to project.
Post 144 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
as long as he gets the money he probably does not care what his signing. marvel dc image or a blank piece of paper. I know I wouldn't care what I wad asked to sign in his position
Post 145 IP   flag post
Like it was previously mentioned, it seems to come down to a matter of preference and there really doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer. @DarthLego, had a good point, if the artists, writers and creators policed themselves, the issue would be less. Have a sign up at shows and conventions statins they'll sign only thief work. That being said, those folks are smart and intelligent. When someone asks them to sign something they had nothing to do with, Indy it's with amusement that they do so. But, who's gonna turn down $100 for 10 seconds of work?
Post 146 IP   flag post
@SilverAgeFan Oh the humanity of typos!
Post 147 IP   flag post
Frickin spellcheck hurts me more than helps!
Post 148 IP   flag post
@DarthLego, do you ever sleep? The Force can only do so much....
Post 149 IP   flag post
@SilverAgeFan You have no idea the power of the Dark Side!

Actually I just work nights and sleep during the day this time of year.

Or, I'm a vampire
Post 150 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
Why blame Stan though? Look at it from his point of view. He has fans and some fans think that it's funny to have him sign batman or stuff that is not normally associated with him. If he refuses, they think he's a jerk and they tell their friends and those friends post on message forums about how Stan spit on their friend while shoving him down the stairs. Yeah, he could refuse, but it wouldn't help his nice guy image that he wants to project.

that will never happen. his manager wants $$$$ and he is going to get as many of those $100s as he can.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations

that will never happen. his manager wants $$$$ and he is going to get as many of those $100s as he can.

Max rules.
Post 152 IP   flag post
As long as people are willing to shell out the money, Stan's willing to help them with that......or any artist/writer on whatever book we put in front of them!
Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector Scipio2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm old school. I would never in a million years have anyone sign a copy of a book like Amazing Fantasy 15. Stan Lee or Steve Ditko would be the ONLY people on Earth I would even consider doing that.

To me, when you have a mega key book like that, you don't mess with it.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Who would have anyone other than Stan sign an AF15?
Post 155 IP   flag post
600646 168 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?