Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
SignaturesSigning Opportunities

Stan Lee charging $100 per sign on final con704

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
You're bound and determined to prove free market value downgrading aren't ya? Lol
Post 76 IP   flag post
You could just sign every book you own and claim them as the SilverAgeFan Pedigree.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
Not really Darth, been stuck in a hospital bed for a week. (Going home tonight), all you guys have kept me somewhat sane. And I thank all of you.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Very cool thought. Still need a damn AW.
Post 79 IP   flag post
After seeing some of the horrendous sketch covers on eBay, I'm still contemplating teaching myself to draw so I can churn out OA sketch covers. $$
Post 80 IP   flag post

Good luck. I can't even draw a stick man.
Post 81 IP   flag post
I've seen stick men with more talent put into them than some of the things on eBay lol.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Speaking of talent, I am going to the Daytona show in November. Greg Land will be there and I've got some Spidey stuff that HE did that I want him to sign.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
For me and I know I'm weird, I rarely go after Stsn's autograph. Only if it's a book he did the cover and/or artwork for.

What books would these be?
Post 84 IP   flag post
@Stelbert_Stylton, Edge is Spider-Verse #2 with his cover of Gwen Stacy in the red and black Spidey suit. I've got 3 for him to sign.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Stelbert_Stylton, Edge is Spider-Verse #2 with his cover of Gwen Stacy in the red and black Spidey suit. I've got 3 for him to sign.

I tried Google, MSC and Ebay, but I can't find Stan's cover. Got a link? Or a scan?
Post 86 IP   flag post
@Stelbert_Stylton, I'm sorry Stel. My bad. It's the Greg Land cover. I wasn't clear on that. My apologies!
Post 87 IP   flag post
Oh, ok, that makes more sense. I read Stsn as Stan is why.
Post 88 IP   flag post
And you were right. It was Stan. Part of that thread is I only try for Stans autograph if he actually did work on a particular book. That's just a preference I have.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
And you were right. It was Stan. Part of that thread is I only try for Stans autograph if he actually did work on a particular book. That's just a preference I have.

Yeah, that's what I thought you were saying, "I only have Stan sign books he did the artwork in." You can see why i was confused.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Again Stel, I apologize. My writing sometimes doesn't properly communicate what my pea brain is thinking! I wish there were a Stan Lee cover for that book. I think Spider-Gwen is gonna take off.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
For me, Stan is more than just some guy who worked on a book. He created Spider-Man, my favorite hero. The thing is though, he permeates the comic genre. I remember hearing his voice overs in the 90s spider-man cartoons.

I get that you don't like seeing his sig on books he didn't have a direct hand in creating. However, consider that if he hadn't put Marvel Comics together, you would never gotten to see these new books and stories. I think there's something to be said about one of the few guys who has affected so many generations and even after he's dead, his legacy will live on through his comics, creations, and ideas.

I want him to sign my Secret Wars #8.
Post 92 IP   flag post
@Revelations, you're 1000% right. And don't get me wrong, I adore Stan and totally appreciate his history and contributions to our fabulous hobby. I'm coming at it from an affordability standpoint. I've seen youngsters at my LCS's as well as at shows that couldn't buy a book just because his autograph was on it. Without his autograph, they could have. It bugs me. And I honestly don't have an answer. I wish I did.
Post 93 IP   flag post
I think it's an insult to the artist/writer to ask them to sign something they had nothing to do with.

I also think it's an insult to ask them to sign the slab.
Post 94 IP   flag post
I'm with you Stel. I won't do it but I know a lot of folks that do. I don't know what the answer is. If folks only signed eat they've worked on, in the end, wouldn't that do more for the value of that book?
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
A friend of mine always gets 2 signatures. He asks the artist / creator to sign something that they are involved with and then asks them to sign something else. He does the same with the original art that he collects...has a creator draw their character and asks them to give their version of a different creators character. As far as I know, he hasn't ever had anyone object or have a problem with it. He says most artists either don't care or are mildly amused. He says he likes knowing that he has comics and OA that no one else has. I know for the OA, he pretty much gives the artist total control and he has received some pretty nice stuff. The OA makes sense to me but the sigs on comics doesn't. Not my $ though
Post 96 IP   flag post
Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
I think it's an insult to the artist/writer to ask them to sign something they had nothing to do with.

If it's a piece of work that doesn't feature anything that ties back to them I would agree. But if they have an indirect connection to the work I would disagree. I had Mike Zeck sign my Transformers issue 3 because it features Spider-Man in the black suit. There's no direct connection for him to this book, but there's the indirect connection.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm with you Stel. I won't do it but I know a lot of folks that do. I don't know what the answer is. If folks only signed eat they've worked on, in the end, wouldn't that do more for the value of that book?

I don't follow the values of signed books so I have no idea.

I can see that some younger fans who get a chance to meet Stan don't own any comics Stan actually worked on. But I figure if they're getting Stan's autograph they have enough money to buy a copy of a book Stan actually worked on.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
If it's a piece of work that doesn't feature anything that ties back to them I would agree. But if they have an indirect connection to the work I would disagree.

+1
Post 99 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
A friend of mine always gets 2 signatures. He asks the artist / creator to sign something that they are involved with and then asks them to sign something else.

That sounds like a good compromise.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton

If it's a piece of work that doesn't feature anything that ties back to them I would agree. But if they have an indirect connection to the work I would disagree. I had Mike Zeck sign my Transformers issue 3 because it features Spider-Man in the black suit. There's no direct connection for him to this book, but there's the indirect connection.

Indirect doesn't work for me.
Post 101 IP   flag post
And I "get" Stan Lee. If it's Marvel, there's always in indirect connection. Hell, even DC with the old crossovers.
I think it's just a preference thing. Is there a right or wrong answer? That's above my pay grade!
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
And I "get" Stan Lee. If it's Marvel, there's always in indirect connection. Hell, even DC with the old crossovers. (and the "Just Imagine Stan Lee ..." books)

Exactly. Everything can be indirect in some way if you want it to be.
Post 103 IP   flag post
If ther were some sort of artists/writers agreement that they'd only sign books they worked directly on, it'd make it that much more difficult to have them. Thus increasing the value. But if a collector is willing to pay $300-$500 more for a Mcfarlanre ASM that Stan never touched but signed, the insanity never stops.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:

I think it's just a preference thing. Is there a right or wrong answer? That's above my pay grade!

Agreed. For most of us, it's a hobby (even if we make a little $). It's supposed to be fun. If a guy wants to spend his hard earned money to have Stan Lee sign a watermelon, more power to him. I hope he gets a nice, ripe, juicy one and it becomes the crowning jewel of his collection.
Post 105 IP   flag post
598060 168 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?