Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
SignaturesSigning Opportunities

Stan Lee charging $100 per sign on final con704

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I would be willing to pay that for an inscribed [to me] Ditko sig.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
My 3 white whales for me would have to be Frank Miller, Garth Ennis and Alex Ross.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
My 3 white whales for me would have to be Frank Miller, Garth Ennis and Alex Ross.

One of these days I'll pick up something written by Ennis. Stu recommends him a lot.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
There is so much Stan Lee signed stuff out there, that it's getting to the point where a book is going to be worth more without his signature on it than with it.
I have one book with his signature on it and it is probably a vintage signature from the 60's or 70's (maybe actually signed in 1964 because of some other writing on it). It means a lot more to me to have that signature from the early days of Marvel, before he was that well known and all this current frenzy started.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I have actually paid more for an unsigned book before because it was harder to find without a signature. I just wanted the artwork on the cover to be clean and unobstructed. This has nothing to do with Stan Lee, but I thought it was a funny situation.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I have actually paid more for an unsigned book before because it was harder to find without a signature. I just wanted the artwork on the cover to be clean and unobstructed. This has nothing to do with Stan Lee, but I thought it was a funny situation.

Oh you're just blowing my mind right now
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

Oh you're just blowing my mind right now

I can confirm that I have done the exact same thing as Darthlego.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
I can totally understand the logic of this
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego I've done the same thing. There are quite a few covers that I think are so great and want a nice and clean copy of it.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
For me and I know I'm weird, I tarely go after Stsn's autograph. Only if it's a book he did the cover and/or artwork for. To me, why have his auto on a book he never touched? I'm gonna pay for this but if someone signs something they never worked on, the grading companies should LOWER the grade. If they did, the signed books would actually be more valuable. I'd like to hear Ricketts or Boracks thoughts on this.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
For me and I know I'm weird, I tarely go after Stsn's autograph. Only if it's a book he did the cover and/or artwork for. To me, why have his auto on a book he never touched? I'm gonna pay for this but if someone signs something they never worked on, the grading companies should LOWER the grade. If they did, the signed books would actually be more valuable. I'd like to hear Ricketts or Boracks thoughts on this.

Exactly. I tried my best to get silver age books signed that he either had something directly to do with the book, or he created the character. That's why I got Thor, Silver Surfer and mostly Spider-man for him to sign. Obviously I chose Avengers 10 Annual and New Mutants 98 but that's really the only exceptions due to key and high grade. Otherwise I agree totally regarding getting stan to sign only what he's been a part of. To me it has more meaning to see him sign his favorite characters, Spider-man and Silver Surfer. (Even though now he says he loves all his characters equally as if they were his children)
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
There is so much Stan Lee signed stuff out there, that it's getting to the point where a book is going to be worth more without his signature on it than with it.
I have one book with his signature on it and it is probably a vintage signature from the 60's or 70's (maybe actually signed in 1964 because of some other writing on it). It means a lot more to me to have that signature from the early days of Marvel, before he was that well known and all this current frenzy started.

I bet he has like 10,000 comics signed and ready to be slowly dispersed to the public after he's gone.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam

I bet he has like 10,000 comics signed and ready to be slowly dispersed to the public after he's gone.

THAT would suck. LOL
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:

I agree, there's a friggin Darth Vader comic on ebay signed by Stan Lee and it's authentic. Why on earth would anybody do that? Stan will sign anything put in front of him apparently.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I can't believe I'm saying this but: I'VE SEEN BATMAN COMICS SIGNED BY STAN ON EBAY
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
I was at a shop on Saturday and the owner had a CGC graded Mickey Mouse And Friends #300 signed by Stan Lee. His thought was that it was released at the time that it was announced that Disney was buying Marvel.
Post 41 IP   flag post
See that logic doesn't make any sense to me. I have a first printing copy of heavy metal magazine. But I'm not going to get Kevin Eastman to sign it just because he bought the magazine company. He had nothing to do with that issue, so why would he sign? On the flipside, Kevin Eastman just did his first solo cover for heavy metal magazine this last month's issue. Now that one is worthy of signing. So yeah the whole Mickey Mouse Disney Stanley thing is is flawed logic .
Post 42 IP   flag post
It certainly makes it one of a kind, the Mouse is the owner of everything to do with Marvel. Honestly how many Disney comics exist with Stan's signature on it and graded at a 9.8?
Post 43 IP   flag post
And other than being "Chairman Emeritus " or something like that, how many of those 9.8's did he have a damn thing to do with? I'll say it again, if a book is signed by someone who did NO work on it whatsoever, it should get a LOWER grade.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
And other than being "Chairman Emeritus " or something like that, how many of those 9.8's did he have a damn thing to do with? I'll say it again, if a book is signed by someone who did NO work on it whatsoever, it should get a LOWER grade.
Sounds like you're making the matter personal. It's just an autograph on a book that has meaning to somebody.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:

I agree with this thinking, but I hope actors are an exception to the rule, I'm hoping to get Billy Dee Williams on a Lando#1, Dave Prowse on a Vader Down#1, and Ray Park on a Darth Maul#1 at the Cincinnati Comic Expo this year.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:

I agree. Even if an AW oversees the signing, it should be treated the same as if I signed the book (which would lower the grade).
Post 47 IP   flag post
No, and my apologies if it seems that way. But, I lost my arse in the speculation years of the 90's-2000's. So I've become protective of the true collectors. I don't think it's right for anyone to pay a premium for a book they want when that book had an autograph from someone who did no work on that book at all. But I'll pay extra to have an artist autograph the book that he did work on. But, that's just my preference. I respect others differing opinions.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with this thinking, but I hope actors are an exception to the rule, I'm hoping to get Billy Dee Williams on a Lando#1, Dave Prowse on a Vader Down#1, and Ray Park on a Darth Maul#1 at the Cincinnati Comic Expo this year.

FWIW I'm okay with this as there is at least some relevance involved.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I agree with you Darth and you Sig. Acting is different.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Speaking of Celebrity sigs, does CBCS have any trouble verifying these? I'm planning on doing them all red label, I don't want to bother an AW, especially when they are for my personal collection.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Put it like this: if I had an AF 15,or an AS 1, I'd probably pay $1000 and move heaven and earth to get Stan to autograph it. But really, why should the value of a Mcfarlane AS 300 go up if Stan signs it? I'm just lost as usual I guess.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Speaking of Celebrity sigs, does CBCS have any trouble verifying these? I'm planning on doing them all red label, I don't want to bother an AW, especially when they are for my personal collection.
I'd like to know if there's an issue with getting an AW for Ray Park and Ian McDiarmid at Tampa Bay Comic Con next month. I have 3 comics I want them to sign that feature Darth Sidious and Darth Maul.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I lost my arse in the speculation years of the 90's-2000's.

I'm patiently waiting for this new comic bubble to burst. The only modern books I buy anymore are of characters I love. I'm not investing a dime into new books in hopes of the value going up over the next few years.

Silver & Bronze on the other hand....
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Quote:
I'd like to know if there's an issue with getting an AW for Ray Park and Ian McDiarmid at Tampa Bay Comic Con next month. I have 3 comics I want them to sign that feature Darth Sidious and Darth Maul.

Can't see why there'd be an issue with the AW, aside from being swamped.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600902 168 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?