CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Suggestions for Selling Collection679

Collector Ebandy private msg quote post Address this user
Batman 608 second print is one of the books I sent for grading lol
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Mine is sitting in my to be graded someday soon box.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector dburghard private msg quote post Address this user
I have one of those too!
Post 28 IP   flag post
It's possibly my most favorite book. There's so many good Batman covers though it's hard to choose.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Had one but sold it 2 weeks ago to help pay for my batman 1:200 #1.
I liked it but not as much as what replaced it
Post 30 IP   flag post

Would that be the New 52 #1 Sketch Cover?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Yep sure is
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
Bumping this thread for update...

OK, so I got with the OP and made a deal for a short box full of comics. Everything worked out fine. He had a lot of good questions and I think he did everything right. It seems like if it was up to him, he would keep most of the books for himself but he is the executor of the collection not the owner.

I bought his Amazing Spider-Man run after showing him similar lots sold on eBay. I made a similar offer to a very similar lot I bought at auction from Sparkle City. The packaging was secure and most of the lot came with new bags & boards. He also has access to a corporate UPS account which would cut down on costs if you want to negotiate shipping separately.

I haven't graded everything/anything but I did a quick inventory last night after they arrived. I looked at the covers while still bagged so not a thorough grading. For the most part the modern and late copper books looked great. The primary flaw was non-color breaking spine ticks. It wasn't until the 80s books that the color breaking creases started but the OP was still in the ballpark for the grades listed in his spreadsheet. The original owner must have had a preference for sharp corners because I was surprised at how sharp all 4 corners looked as I went through the books. Usually when I buy dealer's lots, its a mish-mash of conditions and defects but these books were pretty consistent.

Are there 9.8s? Eh. There are enough 9.4/9.6 candidates, I set the entire lot off to the side to take out high grade candidates for meticulous grading rather than just throwing them all up for auction as VF, NM, etc. like I normally do with a mixed lot.

So if you were considering buying the collection (there's a lot of Batman), it worked out fine for me. Thanks David!
Post 33 IP   flag post
I've been meaning to put a want list together for the OP from his spreadsheet, but have been busy.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
It's possibly my most favorite book. There's so many good Batman covers though it's hard to choose.

Do you have a favorite Batman story?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I've been meaning to put a want list together for the OP from his spreadsheet, but have been busy.

Very busy posting comments here I see...
Post 36 IP   flag post
@FN_2199 Someone is working the Death Star trash detail tonight.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
awesome!
Post 38 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
A good rule of thumb, when buying someone's collection: Buy at $0.10 on the dollar. Always. ALWAYS. Are you listening to me right now? ALWAYS.

You're greatest argument? "Um, how many people are standing in line behind me with this cash right here in my hands willing to give to you right here, right now?"
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

Do you have a favorite Batman story?

I have to admit, since I started collecting again, I've been more of an art collector than a reader. I have a lot of catching up to do in that department. I'm not sure if the animated movie Justice League: Doom was based on a comic, but I really enjoyed that one. I also really liked Batman vs Robin, which was based on the Court of Owls storyline, but I haven't read those books yet.
Post 40 IP   flag post
So glad my first sale turned out well! I'm starting to sort out all of the comics by title so I can get all Batman together, Wolverine etc... Right now they are scattered. Been sort of busy at work and haven't had much time to work with them lately. Sorting should make them easier for me to sell in groups I hope. I am also going to update my spreadsheet and try and come up with a ballpark selling price instead of the online raw prices I have listed now which I see are very unrealistic (unfortunately). Also slowly going through and making a list of a few more I might think about getting graded by CBCS. Got about four to six I'm thinking about right now. CBCS hasn't gotten up to my first submission yet, which they received on June 30th.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I thought I'd update this old post and say that I got my first batch of comics back from grading! Just going through normally without any added cost for faster service, it took from June 30th, when they received them to Sept. 21st, when they got back to me. I still have seven more out, but they have to get through CFP first for pressing before going on to CBCS, and they are now processing a month behind mine so it will be a while.

I didn't get any 9.8's on my first attempt, but none of them went through pressing or anything first. Three of them did get 9.6's though (Sandman #1, New Mutants #98 and Omega Men #3). My Star Wars #1 only got a 9.2. They are picky. I'm surprised the Sandman didn't get a 9.8. It looked perfect to me. The notes mentioned a small spine stress that breaks color. I don't remember seeing that. Oh well. Glad to have them back though!
Post 42 IP   flag post
598068 42 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?