Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I've been mulling over this idea for awhile. I started a thread on the other grading site board about fandom's golden age which has been quite popular and gets revived every so often with the side benefit of folks reconnecting after decades of career and family pursuits sidetracking youthful passion for comics. That thread, simple titled FANDOM, worked because it could be periodically revived.

Over here, with rare exception, threads get closed and archived after a time unless there's sufficient interest and motivation to keep those threads alive. With that in mind, my hope is that starting a thread focusing on the cross generational aspect of fandom will make a nostalgic focus of the thread interesting to both younger and older collectors.

So, with that objective in mind, this thread will be a place to post convention pics, fanzine & program covers/interiors, newspaper articles, selfies ...or given older tech... posed photos, and any stories you'd like to share. No suggested restrictions, but if you like something someone posts, please show it by click or comment. Without further adieu, let's get this going!

From my archived photos, a shot I took of Roddy McDowell, late 70's at a Houstoncon...

Here's an even older image I took at a Dallas Nostalgia convention in 1974 of Duncan Renaldo signing Cisco Kid memorabilia...

George Takei relaxing at a Houstoncon back in the 70's...

Bart Bush (Oklahoma Alliance of Fans) comic shop wheeler-dealer in the 70's...

Bart Bush carrying an imaginary painting at last year's revived OAF con...

Post 1 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

OO

mm
Post 2 IP   flag post
Excellent Marty!

My buddy Bob Wayne. When I took this pic of him and his former wife in the mid-70's Bob was a convenience store box-boy and dedicated fan who turned out a superb offset fanzine called Tales From Texas.

After leaving Texas for greener sidewalks, he ended up in NYC and found employment in the comics industry. Eventually he got Marvel and D.C. into a bidding war for his services, demonstrating his clever negotiating skills.

D.C. Made the better offer and over the years he progressed up the corporate ladder to snag the job of VP of Marketing for D.C. & Warner. Yeah, that's a big WOW!

Anyone who knows Bob is familiar with his sacrcastic wit. In all these years Bob has maintained the same sense of humor. His hair is much shorter these days, but otherwise looks much the same. Even though technically retired he still travels to work on D.C. projects.

Bob recently moved back to Fort Worth with his wife Jeanne, providing more opportunities to break bread, hang out and watch movies.

Sorry, that ended up being longer than intended, but definitely worth it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Keep this one short (tough to do with this tall Texan)...

Richard Evans of Bedrock City at Comicpalooza, Houston, 2013.
Post 4 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
How long have I been a comic nerd? This is me on Christmas 1974 at the age of 6. I wish I could go back and do it all again. The early days were magical and totally different than now.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
This was probably the 1st Comic Con I attended.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Here is the program book for Dragonn Con 2004.

I bought an Olivia rough watercolor layout sketch for the cover image without even realizing that's what it was.

I got it signed by Olivia...

and the model Sandra Taylor

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 very cool.
Post 8 IP   flag post
In 2010, I had Neal Adams draw a sketch of my beloved. I was later told by women that was romantic.

I prepared ahead and tried to make it as easy as possible for him to say yes. I took one of her modeling shots and cropped it down to her face and printed it out on 8½" x 11" paper to match the size he'd be drawing. All he had to do was duplicate the photo I provided. She smiled when she saw it, so I know she liked it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Maybe not some of the most flattering shots of other creators in 2010...

Bob Burden... I already know him. He's a local guy.

Picked up these that day..

Joe Linsner...

Scott Campbell..

Got this from him...

Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 Bob Burden!!!! Local to where?? Never seen him anywhere that I can easily get to (Great Lakes/Toronto area)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Some celebrities I saw in 2010 also..

Buck Rogers (Gil Gerard)

From the same show... Erin Gray

Mark Goddard from Lost in Space

June Lockhart from Lost in Space

Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew)

Lois Lane (Margot Kidder... Rest In Peace)

The Beastmaster (Marc Singer)

Captain Apollo from Battlestar Galactica (Richard Hatch)

There's more... and I met people that I didn't photograph.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Buck Rogers (Gil Gerard)

Is that Twiki with Gil Gerard?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@X51 Bob Burden!!!! Local to where?? Never seen him anywhere that I can easily get to (Great Lakes/Toronto area)

He lives in the suburbs of Atlanta. Ironically, he lives between where I live and where I work. Bob and I knew all the same comic retailer friends as far back as the 70's. I didn't know who he was and we never actually met until the 90's... maybe 1994. Prior to meeting him, I'd be talking to a comic retailer when I got back into collecting in 1991 or so. I'd be hanging out at a comic shop and they'd say Bob burden came in today. I'd say "Who?" They'd look at me like I was crazy. They'd say "You know him!" and give me a 20 minute summary of his life. After I met him, I'd run into him periodically. I ran into him at a discount computer supply store once. Twice I've gone into restaurants and joined him for a meal.

When I took this photo, I didn't know he was talking to Lamar Waldron who published Bob's first work in Visions magazine. I met Lamar maybe 7 years back and that was a cool conversation.

I bought this from him..

I bought this from his friend Roxanne who has done lettering for Bob, Alan Moore, Kevin Eastman etc.

He gave me this the last time I saw him. I was unable to attend because it took place on a work day.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Buck Rogers (Gil Gerard)

Is that Twiki with Gil Gerard?

I don't remember. It probably was.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

He lives in the suburbs of Atlanta. Ironically, he lives between where I live and where I work. Bob and I knew all the same comic retailer friends as far back as the 70's. I didn't know who he was and we never actually met until the 90's... maybe 1994. Prior to meeting him, I'd be talking to a comic retailer when I got back into collecting in 1991 or so. I'd be hanging out at a comic shop and they'd say Bob burden came in today. I'd say "Who?" They'd look at me like I was crazy. They'd say "You know him!" and give me a 20 minute summary of his life. After I met him, I'd run into him periodically. I ran into him at a discount computer supply store once. Twice I've gone into restaurants and joined him for a meal.

When I took this photo, I didn't know he was talking to Lamar Waldron who published Bob's first work in Visions magazine. I met Lamar maybe 7 years back and that was a cool conversation.

I bought this from him..

I bought this from his friend Roxanne who has done lettering for Bob, Alan Moore, Kevin Eastman etc.

He gave me this the last time I saw him. I was unable to attend because it took place on a work day.

OMG,OMG,OMG!!!
That is so cool!!!

I'm not sure how I got turned onto Bob's work but have been a fan for some time now. Think it was around the same time I discovered David Boswell (Reid Fleming - World's Toughest Milkman!!)
Post 16 IP   flag post
Buster Crabbe speaking at the American Nostalgia Convention in Dallas, July '74...

Post 17 IP   flag post
Gil Kane speaking at the American Nostalgia Convention in Dallas, July '74...

Post 18 IP   flag post
Multicon '72 (if memory serves)...

(L/R) Spanky McFarland, Ed Baldwin, George Evans & Robert A. Brown
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Some cool pictures, thx for posting.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:

OMG,OMG,OMG!!!
That is so cool!!!

I'm not sure how I got turned onto Bob's work but have been a fan for some time now. Think it was around the same time I discovered David Boswell (Reid Fleming - World's Toughest Milkman!!)

One day I was hanging out with my retailer friend's wife. She's promised to take Bob to the airport or it might've been the MARTA train station so he could get to the airport. We drove by his house and knocked on the door. I didn't go in, but there was an easel in his living room with a huge page of Geoff Darrow's art on it. I thought that was both odd and neat. I don't remember us driving across town so it must've been a ride to the train station. I know the general area of his house and where we were, but I couldn't find it again if you paid me. There are several stories I have about Bob and I think... "I'd better not tell that one".
Post 21 IP   flag post
Walter Koenig, Houstoncon/StarTrek con, June '74...

Post 22 IP   flag post
Happy fans getting off an elevator, Houstoncon/StarTrek con, June '74...

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Walter Koenig, Houstoncon/StarTrek con, June '74...

Walter Koenig, NFCC, June '16

Loving all these old photos...
Post 24 IP   flag post
Multicon '72 program cover (Multicon was held in Okla. City)...

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
What about a little Cosplay?

Here’s the wife & I on our way to Stockton-Con about three years ago:

Post 26 IP   flag post
George Pal speaking at The American Nostalgia Convention, Dallas, July '74...

Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica dude!!!!! those pics are so beyond cool!!!! I love them!!!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@CatmanAmerica dude!!!!! those pics are so beyond cool!!!! I love them!!!!

Thanks!

Here's something more recent, but only fandom related when you start identifying the players. This is the "Chicago Wizards" basketball franchise from about 5 years ago...

Post 29 IP   flag post
Who is the guy in the front holding the bottle? He looks familiar.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600701 224 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?