Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user

Some freebies that came with an original art purchase from Ivan Brunetti.
Post 201 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Cleaning out my Photobucket storage I came across these obscure images taken of your's truly. No, I'm not quite reduced to posting selfies ...this is all on my spousal unit..., but this is what happens when FANDOM runs amok...

BEER & ALE fandom...

Catman set loose in Barcelona...

MANNUP Collectibles (whoever heard of a dealer with a freakin' slide show presentation)...

There's more, but I'd have to imbibe a lot more beer before postin'em. Hmmm, maybe it's time to go back to the fridge for another brew.
Post 202 IP   flag post
Classic KING OF THE WILD lobby card (1931). In the cast is Boris Karloff as Sheik Mustapha...

Post 203 IP   flag post
Lobbying for serial lobby cards is a lonely pursuit. Alas, I'm a glutton for punishment! One of the greatest mid-40's serials was MANHUNT of MYSTERY ISLAND with the charming Linda Sterling trying to thwart Roy Bancroft's plans for world conquest as the evil ray-transformed pirate Captain Mephisto. It's a totally ridiculous plot, but lots of fun...

Post 204 IP   flag post
Found this in one of my Photobucket files. Cool booth display at SDCC from around seven years ago. The eight foot Disney licensed Nautilus replica and other actual film props designed by this group...

Shortly after the con I purchased one of the ltd. ed. four foot versions of this beauty.
Post 205 IP   flag post

Looking through my old Photobucket files I came across another photo from 6 or 7 years ago, probably at NYCC. Not sure which dealer had this on display, but it was probably Metropolis. The presentation for this high grade Cap #1 is first class all the way!

Post 206 IP   flag post
for imbibing fans...

Post 207 IP   flag post
Silly 2011 vintage SDCC photo of your's truly buying a raw Marvel Tales from my bud Rick Whitlock (Gator)...

Post 208 IP   flag post
Roger Hill (author, artist) at the Oklahoma Alliance of Fans con with the original cover art by Reed Crandall for Modern Comics #62 (formerly Military Comics)...

Post 209 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica

I have to tell you that I enjoy immensely the pictures and anecdotes that you are posting on this site.

I just wonder why there are not more people showing us their old comic mart pictures?

Unfortunately, we did not have camera phones back when I attended shows so I do not have any record other than my memories.
Post 210 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
@CatmanAmerica

I have to tell you that I enjoy immensely the pictures and anecdotes that you are posting on this site.

I just wonder why there are not more people showing us their old comic mart pictures?

Unfortunately, we did not have camera phones back when I attended shows so I do not have any record other than my memories.

Thanks, Redshade! I think you answered your own question although I do have quite a few of photos from before cellphone pics. Then again, I was kind of a nerd about capturing images of fandom as far back as I can remember. I've tried to avoid posting selfies (unsuccessfully) or photos my wife took that I'm in at different shows, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Next weekend is the 2018 OAF-con (Oklahoma Alliance of Fandom) ...which is a great old time comic show... and I'll definitely get some images from that. I'm passing on NYCC this year as I've already attended SDCC and Chicago Wizard, but I promise there'll be a lot of cool paper collectibles to photograph there.
Post 211 IP   flag post
One of my all time favorite convention photos of Richard Evans (Mr. Bedrock, Bedrock City comic shops, Houston)...

Post 212 IP   flag post
Robot repro. & 50's era Atomic Disintegrator cap pistol collectible...

Drepession era Monopoly board, game & tokens...

19th century McLoughlin warship puzzle cubes (Forbes collection)...

Post 213 IP   flag post
First images from the annual OAF-con (Oklahoma Alliance of Fandom) today!

Live, in person, from the luxurious Embassy Suites Ballroom, ...the mighty STEVE BOROCK:

The legendary Guardians of The Galaxy can only look on in envy!!!
Post 214 IP   flag post
More real time images of this grand gathering of collectors fans & dealers...

Post 215 IP   flag post
More images from this year's OAF-Con...

Author John Wooley & Bruce Schultz

Author, collector, EC historian & artist Roger Hill (center)

Life long collector and esteemed dealer Bud Plant
Post 216 IP   flag post
More images from OAF-Con land...

Anthony Tollin (Shadow reissues, author)

Bart "Bartman" Bush, OAF-Con guru par excellence.

Richard "Astroman" Evans (aka Mr. Bedrock) dealer extraordinaire.
Post 217 IP   flag post
Back in 1992, right after Jim Shooter was ousted from Valiant, an Atlanta store hosted a Valiant comics Convention. The prints given out at the show became collectors items. I own a basic set. It was later I realized that I had a flyer for the show as well as the program book.

The flyer:

The program book:

A CBG ad for the prints that came out a couple of months after the show was over.

At the show, I got Bob Layton to sign a copy of his 1st published work at Valiant.

Bob Layton was not a founder of Valiant. He was just a hired employee. The wikipedia is wrong. He told me the story at the show.

Almost everyone at the show got a free HARD Corps #1 Gold version except me. I wasn't jumping through hoops or acting like an idiot to get one. Some people got multiples by answering trivia questions or impressing the creators somehow. This one came from the show, but I bought it when a friend needed some money and had no luck selling it on eBay.

Post 218 IP   flag post
More moments captured from this past weekend's OAF-con...

Michael Carbonaro sniffing out some great comic deals.

Legendary cover artist (Creepy, Eerie, etc.) Kenneth Smith and wife.

Some of Shadow reprint publisher Anthony Tollin's awesome pulp collectibles.
Post 219 IP   flag post
Acquired this magnificent original George Rozen Shadow painting from Anthony Tollin (above) at this past weekend's OAF-Con...

June 1, 1942

This compliments my other George Rozen Shadow pulp cover which by pure coincidence was the cover for the next issue...

June 15, 1942

Post 220 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user

Comics fandom fanzines date back in to the 1930s. Here are half a dozen scanned pages from Cartoonist Bi-Monthly #9 from 1937. I have issues #8 9 10 each including a column by Joseph Simon. Comics fanzines date back as early as 1936 that I have copies of. Deeper coverage on them and lots more are in my finally soon to be completed book Comic Book Store Wars.
Post 221 IP   flag post
This is not as cool as what Bob posted, but it reminded me of this magazine.

Post 222 IP   flag post
@X51 This is all really cool fan-worthy stuff!

BTW, I had an opportunity to chat with Bob Beerbohm at the OAF-con in Oklahoma two weeks ago.
Post 223 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
@X51 This is all really cool fan-worthy stuff!

BTW, I had an opportunity to chat with Bob Beerbohm at the OAF-con in Oklahoma two weeks ago.

I only met Bob once at Heroes Con, but it was an enjoyable conversation.

I borrowed this off of Facebook. Early California comic dealers.

Post 224 IP   flag post
600678 224 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?