Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ever had any lucky breaks at an auction?6638

Collector brandon77 private msg quote post Address this user
This may seldom if ever happen, but have you ever walked away with a steal simply because noone else bidded? I'm not talking about a sentimental one-off or something oddball, but a book with legit mainstream value.** To the extent that you're shocked and believe someone's going to pop up out of nowhere and tell you there was a big mistake, and "the other bidder hadn't been counted" or something like that..

** Yes, realizing "it's only worth what someone will pay for it." But that's the point, what if everyone else was just asleep that day?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I have not experienced this on big well known keys, but I have many times on obscure yet valuable books. I've gotten $100 books for $10 for instance.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Once or twice I’ve scored books like @Darkga is talking about.

I got a VF-NM copy of Marvel Super Action #1 (Punisher origin) for like $30.

I got my Spidey #194 raw for $70 at auction. When I pressed it, it came back 9.6 with White Pages. That was a nice score.

No true mega scores, but good values.
Post 3 IP   flag post
00slim, I just got an ASM #194 recently at auction as well: $105 (incl all fees), looks like a 9.2. So, add $35 or so pressing, slabbing - maybe it comes back a 9.4 or 9.6(?). Sit on it for a year or two...
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Buy large lots of collections and you'll get a $1000 book for $5. It happens a lot more often doing it this way I've found.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I've found a few good deals at flea markets or yard sales. Mostly $75-$100 books for $5-$10. Every now and then, I find a good deal on an auction site because the seller mislabeled the book.

@kaptainmyke +1.
I haven't been lucky enough to find $1000 books but the few times I have purchased a collection, I've been able to keep a bunch of the books I want, sell the rest and make back more than I originally paid.
I've only been able to do that a few times though. I'm actually in the process of going through a collection I recently bought and I've already broken even.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Deesnutz private msg quote post Address this user
On a toy! I found a transformers constructicon factory sealed still,with an hour left at $5, 1 bid. Waited til last second and stole it for $8! Sold it for $250 a week later.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I try not to purchase high level keys on ebay. Thousands of people have them on watch list so you'll always pay a lot since you're bidding against all of the US, Canada, Europe, etc...
Nope, not for me
LCS and conventions with early entry for keys.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon77
00slim, I just got an ASM #194 recently at auction as well: $105 (incl all fees), looks like a 9.2. So, add $35 or so pressing, slabbing - maybe it comes back a 9.4 or 9.6(?). Sit on it for a year or two...

No reason to sit on that book, after its pressed and slabbed...

Just list it at the high end of GPA via an eBay BIN and wait til it sells at your price.

Bump it up 5% every 30 days it goes unsold.
Post 9 IP   flag post
i haven't sold on ebay in quite a while. In the scenario you describe, what would the seller costs be?

also, what do you mean precisely by "just sell it at the high end of GPA.." Sorry I'm not familiar with all the jargon as I just recently got back into this after a couple decades..
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’m not sure if the rates are different if you don’t have a Store. I think the final value fee is 10% either way. Then PayPal charges about 3%. So, 13%.
Post 11 IP   flag post
600741 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?