Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector kash private msg quote post Address this user
For the books you have yet to grade, I highly recommend the invisible backing boards. Sturdy and no need to remove from the bag to see the entire book.

P.S. - I have no association with these at all. I just love them enough to recommend them.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Do you know if the material is as safe for paper as Mylar?
Post 2 IP   flag post
They're 40 mil mylar, I believe.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen these s few years back. from a cost perspective, if I remember correctly, they are far more expensive than their acid free double backed backing board counterparts. What do they cost nowadays?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I've seen these s few years back. from a cost perspective, if I remember correctly, they are far more expensive than their acid free double backed backing board counterparts. What do they cost nowadays?

$1-$1.50 each through Amazon
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
The INVISIBLE COMIC BOOK BOARD are $9.95 (not including tax) for a pack of (10) and shipping is $7.48. So, No they won't stay in business for long. Paying almost $2.00 a board. Which comics would you use them for? Any expensive comic book you're going to have slabbed. Thumbs down here.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Depends on what you call expensive. I don't slab every $50 book I buy, but I do want to be able to see the whole thing without taking it out of the bag.

To each his own.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
Also works great for sketched front an back covers!
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely serves a purpose and fills a need. There's room in the hobby for both.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
I can see these being used for high end un-slabbed books. Spending an extra dollar to store a book worth hundreds of dollars makes the cost insignificant. Also, if the demand for these increased, it would most likely bring down the price.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Yep..could see using these on a few books that I am unlikely to slab
Post 11 IP   flag post
Approved by 3 🇨🇦 in a row 👆🏻 lol
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking at this solicitation.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAY173041

I wouldn't buy them because they won't tell you what it's made of. I also don't like the wording "superior to flimsy acid paperboards". I've never bought backing boards that claim to be acidic. Show me someone selling "acid paperboards". Wow! So it's superior to a product that most collectors are not buying and all they tell you is the thickness.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I wouldn't buy them because they won't tell you what it's made of. I also don't like the wording "superior to flimsy acid paperboards". I've never bought backing boards that claim to be acidic. Show me someone selling "acid paperboards". Wow! So it's superior to a product that most collectors are not buying and all they tell you is the thickness.

An independent study concluded that paper backing boards are at best "acid-free on one side at time of manufacture". The study also warns that many manufacturers who claim that backing boards are ‘acid free’ are either “lying or misinformed”.

Reference link omitted because it is from an outside forum. Would gladly PM it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

An independent study concluded that paper backing boards are at best "acid-free on one side at time of manufacture". The study also warns that many manufacturers who claim that backing boards are ‘acid free’ are either “lying or misinformed”.

Reference link omitted because it is from an outside forum. Would gladly PM it.

I already know that, but it does have acid free treatment on one side. I'm sick of companies giving incomplete and vague information.

I was using mylites in 1982.

There are only a handful of people online that actually tell me more about comic supplies than I already know. I've read all the gov. sites about archival materials. I've looked up spec sheets on various materials. Plastics can have surfactants on them that react to paper. There is more to archival protection of paper than something being clear and being really thick. The manufacturers know what they are buying. Why can't they tell the consumer what they are buying?

There's only two reasons I can imagine:

1) They don't want a competitor to make the same thing or better and sell it for less.
2) The product isn't as good as what they want you to think it is.

Either way, there's inadequate communication and I'm not buying or endorsing anything that doesn't have the information I need to make an educated decision.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I would Not be interested in them on the cost basis alone.

I store two books per bag, back to back with a Full back E-Gerber board in between, so I would have no use for them functionally either.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I already know that, but it does have acid free treatment on one side...

There are only a handful of people online that actually tell me more about comic supplies than I already know.

Treatment on one side doesn’t cut it.

You asked:
“show me someone selling ‘acid paperboards’ ”.

The answer is:
Every company selling “acid free treatment on one side” is selling ‘acid paperboards’.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
I would Not be interested in them on the cost basis alone.

I store two books per bag, back to back with a Full back E-Gerber board in between, so I would have no use for them functionally either.

I am also doing this for some of my older (90s and earlier) comics that are not of much value but I don't want the paper to deteriorate by using more acidic boards....it makes me nervous trying to take them out of a tight squeeze...or I worry how well the comics line up as storing back to back in a single bag/board means they're pressing against adjacent comics face to face....

Just purchased 100 full backs and mylites 2 to get it to one book per bag/board going forward.

But as for the clear backing....I prefer the reusable slab. It costs almost as much as a Graded slab, but I have access to viewing both sides and I can take the comic out any time I want...I think the plastic has a uv coating too, unlike cbcs/cgc slabs (unless you add a film).

EDIT: You can find e slabs at www.comicskin.com. I believe they have the clear backing boards as well.

It would be nice if cbcs offered the clear boards witching their raw grade package.
Post 18 IP   flag post
IF they're Mylar, I can see using these on the wraparound covers I like, and a few of my keys. I could probably make use of 2-3 packs if I ever felt like trying them.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS

The only material reference that I’ve been able to find is in the following link on Comic Preservation.

In a section titled “Invisible Comic Back Board“, the author states that these are made of “thick Mylar”.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Thanks!

Too bad they're not cheaper. When shopping for comics at a store, it would be nice to see the whole book without removing it from the bag. I'm sure shop owners hate unauthorized removals. They probably hate authorized ones too lol
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector PeteN private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
For the books you have yet to grade, I highly recommend the invisible backing boards. Sturdy and no need to remove from the bag to see the entire book.

P.S. - I have no association with these at all. I just love them enough to recommend them.

didn't know these even existed, thank you for posting, I'm going to get some!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
Depends on what you call expensive. I don't slab every $50 book I buy, but I do want to be able to see the whole thing without taking it out of the bag.

To each his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
IF they're Mylar, I can see using these on the wraparound covers I like, and a few of my keys. I could probably make use of 2-3 packs if I ever felt like trying them.

The idsue is not only whether they are archival grade or not.

They are not rigid, like a full back.Unlike a full back; they do not "hold" a comic in place.

By that, I mean, their texture allows for sliding. ...This isn't good for a comic's preservation in 101 ways.
Post 23 IP   flag post
598066 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?