Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is it worth it to get Thanos Quest Signed Slabbed?6633

Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
So I have Thanos quest 1 and 2, I believe they are first printing since the numbers on the interior go from 10 to 1 (second printing I believe go from 10 to 2). They are in excelent shape, I am no expert but I estimate above 9.0.

Jim Starlin will be at the florida super con on July. I also have the complete infinity gauntly, death of captain marvel and batman death in the family, which I will try to get signed as well, but they are not anywhere near the condition of the thanos quest.

Has thanos quest become more sought after with the release of the movies?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Menoth79 private msg quote post Address this user
I would do it if I were in your situation as long as you felt thanos quest was high end. Infinity gauntlet too if you you felt the same.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@Ladic If your plan is to get them signed, slabbed and sell them, then my answer would be no, unless they are 9.8 candidates. For Thanos Quest, anything less than 9.8 will be difficult to recoup the money you'll spend on sigs and slabbing. If they are for your personal collection, by all means get them signed and enjoy them.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I would slab the # 1 if it is 9.6 or better.

Not sure I would bother with #2.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic
So I have Thanos quest 1 and 2, I believe they are first printing since the numbers on the interior go from 10 to 1 (second printing I believe go from 10 to 2). They are in excelent shape, I am no expert but I estimate above 9.0.

Jim Starlin will be at the florida super con on July. I also have the complete infinity gauntly, death of captain marvel and batman death in the family, which I will try to get signed as well, but they are not anywhere near the condition of the thanos quest.

Has thanos quest become more sought after with the release of the movies?

Thanks Quest 1, 2 should be signed (gold label only) if they are both 9.6/9.8.

If either of them are not solid 9.6 candidayes ( at least), do not have either slabbed.

TC #1,2 sell well as a set, raw.

The other nooks you mentioned, all have to be 9.6/9.8 candidates to be worth digning/slabbing.

A set of Infinity Gauntlet #1-6 is an easy $100 BIN sale in raw VF/NM or better.

Death in the family is also close to a $100 set...at least $75 in raw VF/NM.

Breaking up a set to have a IG #2 signed/slabbed, if it is not going to be a 9.6 at least, is not a good idea.

Sets sell pretty well on eBay....single books can take a loooooong time to sell.

That you have to pack up $20 books 6 times,6 trips to the post office, unless buyers pay for priority; the mail man will pick them up, even than you're using more time, packing books up..... instead of just an IG set of 6 books.... one and done.

Not sure what you mean by "Death of Captain Marvel".
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids - Death of Captain Marvel was a Graphic Novel with Starlin art.
Post 6 IP   flag post

I have uploaded scans, what you guys think about the condition, seems 1 is better than 2
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@Ladic Are these for your personal collection, or are you intending to sell them?

I agree with everyone else in that unless you are absolutely sure they're 9.6 or better candidates, it's not worth the price of even slabbing them, much less signed.

Signing, especially by someone who frequents conventions like Mr. Starlin, does not add value to the book above what his signature normally costs. He may even be a free signature (does anyone know what he charges). I haven't checked these lately on eBay, but anything 9.4 or less was barely worth the cost of slabbing.

I can't tell from the scans, but defects in these card stock covers are hit hard in grading. I had sent in both 1 & 2 last year (cbcs), had them pressed and was thinking they were solid 9.4s likely 9.6...both came back 9.2. Disappointed I sold the set for $50 on eBay, and waited for the right price and eventually hit 7s and got both for less than $80 a piece in 9.8 grade.

Instead of getting TQ 1&2 signed and graded, spend the money on going after unsigned 9.8s (or 9.6s if it's out of your price range).

Same goes for all the other comics you listed. Unless they're for your personal collection don't bother getting them signed...and don't bother slabbing them either.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
@Ladic Are these for your personal collection, or are you intending to sell them?

I agree with everyone else in that unless you are absolutely sure they're 9.6 or better candidates, it's not worth the price of even slabbing them, much less signed.

Signing, especially by someone who frequents conventions like Mr. Starlin, does not add value to the book above what his signature normally costs. He may even be a free signature (does anyone know what he charges). I haven't checked these lately on eBay, but anything 9.4 or less was barely worth the cost of slabbing.

I can't tell from the scans, but defects in these card stock covers are hit hard in grading. I had sent in both 1 & 2 last year (cbcs), had them pressed and was thinking they were solid 9.4s likely 9.6...both came back 9.2. Disappointed I sold the set for $50 on eBay, and waited for the right price and eventually hit 7s and got both for less than $80 a piece in 9.8 grade.

Instead of getting TQ 1&2 signed and graded, spend the money on going after unsigned 9.8s (or 9.6s if it's out of your price range).

Same goes for all the other comics you listed. Unless they're for your personal collection don't bother getting them signed...and don't bother slabbing them either.

For now is for my personal collection, but down the line if I ever need the money, I would have to part with it. Thankfully I have not been in that position as of yet.
Post 9 IP   flag post
601338 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?