Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Can someone list the page colour that CBCS/CGC use. Im looking for the complete list. Thanks!

White Pages
Off-White to White
etc..
Post 1 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
These are not in order as the colored ones are outliers. There are a few additional ones that are combinations of the qualities listed. I'm just going off of memory. I can't find the official list.

White
Off White/White
Off White
Cream/Off White
Cream
Light Tan/Cream
Light Tan
Tan
Dark Tan
Slightly Brittle
Brittle
Pink
Blue

There may be a few more that I'm just blanking out on.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Exactly what I wanted..thank you!!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I'd love to see pink and blue
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
No crumbly? I have some crumbly.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Those colors are on some golden age comics. It's not a color achieved through decay. The comics were printed on actual pink or blue paper. Imagine the yellow pages of a phone book, but pink or blue.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Oh that's cool
Post 7 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

Those colors are on some golden age comics. It's not a color achieved through decay. The comics were printed on actual pink or blue paper. Imagine the yellow pages of a phone book, but pink or blue.

Phantom Lady 17 is notorious for it

Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
Quote:
Quote:

Phantom Lady 17s, they're all pink on the inside.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Oh that is super cool I want to see the interior pages now
Post 10 IP   flag post
I know it's subjective or a matter of opinion but what's your tolerance level for page quality when buying comics (I also understand that it depends on the book)?

In general terms for silverage/goldenage books are Cream pages your threshold? More? Less?

Thanks!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Technically true, although Fox PQ during this period is usually considered inferior to other newsprint paper of the era due to it's sourcing. As the story goes, Victor Fox devised a scheme to slash printing costs by recycling pulp paper. His corner cutting measures are considered responsible for the pink/blue page coloration.

To achieve this end, Victor Fox and Central Color Printing of Wilkes-Barr purchased a paper mill (Oct. 23, '47) and started churning out rolls of recycled pulp paper for his comic lines. The reprocessed paper had a pink or blue tint (probably dyes from prior use). Fox books with this discoloration have a greater tendency toward brittleness, often without displaying the familiar browning component.

Of coarse, those involved in the pressing of fragile books are probably well aware of this historical data, but folks without your depth of experience might benefit from the background info.

Note: If anyone has additional data or an alternative perspective on the Fox blue/pink phenomenon, please share it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I know it's subjective or a matter of opinion but what's your tolerance level for page quality when buying comics (I also understand that it depends on the book)?

In general terms for silverage/goldenage books are Cream pages your threshold? More? Less?

Thanks!

No brown.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Quote:

Technically true, although Fox PQ during this period is usually considered inferior to other newsprint paper of the era due to it's sourcing. As the story goes, Victor Fox devised a scheme to slash printing costs by recycling pulp paper. His corner cutting measures are considered responsible for the pink/blue page coloration.

To achieve this end, Victor Fox and Central Color Printing of Wilkes-Barr purchased a paper mill (Oct. 23, '47) and started churning out rolls of recycled pulp paper for his comic lines. The reprocessed paper had a pink or blue tint (probably dyes from prior use). Fox books with this discoloration have a greater tendency toward brittleness, often without displaying the familiar browning component.

Of coarse, those involved in the pressing of fragile books are probably well aware of this historical data, but folks without your depth of experience might benefit from the background info.

Note: If anyone has additional data or an alternative perspectives on the Fox blue/pink phenomenon, please share it.

Indeed these papers can be fragile without cause or reason. I've seen spines split on just the interior pages, on otherwise high grade copies due to pressing. That is a reality.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Can someone list the page colour that CBCS/CGC use. Im looking for the complete list. Thanks!

White Pages
Off-White to White
etc..

Here is the list supported by Nostomania. This is comprehensive (the complete list you were looking for) - if either CGC or CBCS does not support any of these, they should. Also, not to nit-pick, but the better term is "Page Quality", despite the odd cases such as pink pages, which are accurately described in this thread.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
I've seen spines split on just the interior pages, on otherwise high grade copies due to pressing. That is a reality.

Truth.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJasmin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

White Pages
Off-White to White
etc..

Here is the list supported by Nostomania. This is comprehensive (the complete list you were looking for) - if either CGC or CBCS does not support any of these, they should. Also, not to nit-pick, but the better term is "Page Quality", despite the odd cases such as pink pages, which are accurately described in this thread.

I'm not convinced that supporting an arbitrary scale where pink/blue pages are automatically knocked down below light tan is the best approach. It's entirely possible that some Fox books with blue and pink interiors were preserved in a humidity balanced environment. This is the one instance where color and PQ should not be assessed on an absolute scale.

What is needed is a better method of examining these books to ascertain brittleness without further damaging rare 70 year old comics. pH papers might be able help with such a determination. Adding moisture to a sealed humidifier with these books might slow or reduce brittleness. While I don't have an answer to this perplexing problem, it certainly deserves more research.

In fact, it would be nice if the pH balance of rare books like these could be checked by third party graders as part of the process and the results included on labels (as if grader's aren't overworked enough these days by fans wanting faster turn around times).
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Thanks!

On vintage books, I don’t want anything below off-white.

Off-white/White or white of course being ideal.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see where you are going there. 🍻
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'm not convinced that supporting an arbitrary scale where pink/blue pages are automatically knocked down below light tan is the best approach. It's entirely possible that some Fox books with blue and pink interiors were preserved in a humidity balanced environment. This is the one instance where color and PQ should not be assessed on an absolute scale.

Yup, I agree with you @CatmanAmerica, great point. This is just our way, at present, to allow our users to note paqe quality for their books in our collection management system. I doubt any of the other providers have a better system in place.

Quote:

What is needed is a better method of examining these books to ascertain brittleness without further damaging rare 70 year old comics. pH papers might be able help with such a determination. Adding moisture to a sealed humidifier with these books might slow or reduce brittleness. While I don't have an answer to this perplexing problem, it certainly deserves more research.

In fact, it would be nice if the pH balance of rare books like these could be checked by third party graders as part of the process and the results included on labels (as if grader's aren't overworked enough these days by fans wanting faster turn around times).

pH at time of grading, hmmm... neat idea.
Post 21 IP   flag post
600862 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?