Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ghost Rider #1 1990 Submitt or Not?6628

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello All!

Just thought I might get a few opinions on this book and if it might be worth submitting to CBCS.

I have three copies of the book and all are one owner books that I purchased in 1990 when they were issued.

The Black cover is obviously very condition sensitive. That being said,

The one I have pictured is super nice with what I believe to be 9.6, and maybe even 9.8 qualities:

Like New original cover color and gloss. NO FINGER PRINTS

Nice flat virtually flawless spine with tight clean staples. I am super critical of the spine and I can not see any spine tics.

The edges and corners are sharp and clean, with the exception of the lower left corner having a hint of wear on the very tip.

The Book has beautiful Snow White Page Quality.

The issue Im trying to gauge is the tiny "Scratch" to the lower left of the Spidey logo on the front. Not a crease.

The other issue is on the back lower right corner, at first glance I thought it was a crease, but there is no blunting to the corner or stress by the spine. Upon closer inspection it appears to be more of a "scratch" or "impression" than a crease. Im assuming it was a production flaw as my other copies have the same similar flaw. I feel it most certain pulls a solid 9.4 NM and possibly a 9.6 on a given day.

I also do not believe any pressing would do anything for those tiny corner flaws.

This book appears to be gaining in some popularity. Being a modern book is anything less than a 9.8 a waste of time to grade?

I also have Super High Grade copies of #2 #3 #4 , #5 #6 (Any value in any of those?)

Thanks for your opinions as they are very much appreciated!

John
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Those all appear to be handling issues for the #1. I wouldn't consider it even worthy of a 9.0. I wouldn't want to submit it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The small marks occured from the production process as all three of my issues have the same marks on them.

The black cover may cause more scrutiny by graders, but I have submitting many books with more flaws than these(spine tics) and never recieved anything less than a 9.4 NM. Maybe they view them as a lesser flaw? Book is flawless aside from those couple marks.

Thanks for the input
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
The small marks occured from the production process as all three of my issues have the same marks on them.

The black cover may cause more scrutiny by graders, but I have submitting many books with more flaws than these(spine tics) and never recieved anything less than a 9.4 NM. Maybe they view them as a lesser flaw? Book is flawless aside from those couple marks.

Thanks for the input

Agreed, tiny blemishes on black covers are often lumped in as production related defects....which they are, if you ever talk to a printer.

It looks like a 9.8 candidate to me....buuuut, it appears as though the base of the spine has a impact crease, larger on the back cover but still an issue on the front cover.Impact seems to have worsened the severity of the bindery tear at the base of the spine.

Overall, I think it is likely a 8.5.

I would not sub it.

Off the top of my head, I'd think the others would only be worth subbing if they were all solid 9.8's.

Second issue and the Punisher issues are probably the quicker sellers, over #3-4....that #6 newsstand is a goodie, so is the Lee cover on #5.

I always thought Hyde was a great villian but nobody gives a damn about him compared to the Punisher.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 - John, since there are copies out there without those flaws, I would not submit the #1. I would probably call it an 8.0.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Why is this book gaining in popularity all of a sudden? Is Danny Ketch rumored to return?

Sold mine in a lot along with issues 2-35 over a year ago. It was probably a 9.4 at best and figured if I missed it I can buy it back in graded condition as it wasn't too expensive. Now I'm starting to miss it seeing the cover and hearing it mentioned again! Might have to go after a 9.6 or something. 9.8 prices are running away.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Being a modern book is anything less than a 9.8 a waste of time to grade?

Pretty much. 9.4s and 9.6s are very hard to sell being that its quite easy to find them raw. That #1 will only fetch $100-150 in 9.8 (newsstand will easily net $400-500)

#2-5 are worth reading 🍺

#6, if 9.8, is worth at least a few hundred to a newsstand collector who is trying to put together a 9.8 run
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Why is this book gaining in popularity all of a sudden? Is Danny Ketch rumored to return?

Sold mine in a lot along with issues 2-35 over a year ago. It was probably a 9.4 at best and figured if I missed it I can buy it back in graded condition as it wasn't too expensive. Now I'm starting to miss it seeing the cover and hearing it mentioned again! Might have to go after a 9.6 or something. 9.8 prices are running away.

I have a buyer who has been out of collecting for 20 years and now catching up. He gives me a wish list and I find them here and there for him.

This one is in his list and I listed it in another thread which John saw. Think that was which kicked off John's thread here.

overall - cool book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
The #1 will most likely get a 8.0. People should be chasing down Ghost Rider from the 70s. I do not understand the hype for the 1990 book. At all.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting question:

If the label says 9.6, but the book looks like an 8.5 because of production flaws. Do you buy it? If it is not a rare book?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the input guys! It has peeked my curiosity. I may throw it in my next submission just for shits & grins.

I think that my scans may have exaggerated the flaws as in hand they do not seem has profound.

I will pull the other issues and check them out a bit closer. Especially the #6 Newsstand

Thanks again for all your opinions and advice.

Regards
John
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Interesting question:

If the label says 9.6, but the book looks like an 8.5 because of production flaws. Do you buy it? If it is not a rare book?

No. It's 8.5 to me, but visual appearance of the book outweighs the grade on the label. A book this new would have to be 9.6 minimum and visually match also. Nothing about those defects look like production flaws to me unless you consider improper handling to be a production flaw.
Post 12 IP   flag post
600448 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?