Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Comics & Beer, 6/13/20186593

Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Uhhhhh??? What did I just watch? More beer less comics.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah... I'm not going to pay more than $2.99 for new comics. It saves me a lot of money. I don't see any new comics that even interest me if they were $2.99. I'm glad you like what you buy.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
So, what happened to the belch?
There was no belch!
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder 😂 I was fighting one back; should have just let it rip. I’ve actually had people ask me to mute the mic when I belch. Some folks don’t find it that amusing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@X51 looking thru my stack today and I’m shocked at how many 4.99 and now 5.99 books there are. It’s getting crazy.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
@X51 looking thru my stack today and I’m shocked at how many 4.99 and now 5.99 books there are. It’s getting crazy.

It's been crazy, but I believe the prices have been going up to keep Diamond in business, not the publishers. Stores aren't ordering cases like they did in the 90's, so employees have to count out small quantities which is all labor intensive.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder,

@David_Bourne is looking for you over here
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Pre_Coder,

@David_Bourne is looking for you over here

The link doesn't work.

I have absolutely no idea why @David_Bourne would be looking for me, and I'm not so sure that is good news.

I've been in the hospital the past 7 days due to a blood clot in each lung and a partial clot in my lower left leg. The first 3 days I was at level 10 pain scale and taking morphine every 4 hours. So, I'm a little caught off guard here as to what the hell is going on.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder

Hi, link fixed here

P.S. I’m sorry to hear about your hospitalization. Hope you are on the road to recovery.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder - Hope you are feeling better and on the road to recovery.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder - get well soon.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks guys! That was some major turbulence. I sure don't want to go through that again.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@dpiercy I know what you mean about them darn corners. I spent $9.99 for my ASM #800 and the corners are blunted. All of the copies I saw were that way. "What you gonna do"? I like @X51 idea about not paying over $2.99 for a new book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@dpiercy I know what you mean about them darn corners. I spent $9.99 for my ASM #800 and the corners are blunted. All of the copies I saw were that way. "What you gonna do"? I like @X51 idea about not paying over $2.99 for a new book.

Most new comics drop in value after about 2-3 weeks. The only reason I'd be tempted to pay over $2.99 is if I thought the comic had the potential to double in value and hold that value.I'd pay more up front in the attempt to get a higher grade book in better condition.

If you spend $15 on a movie, you kill 2 hours of a day and you have nothing to show for it.
If you spend $4.99 on a comic that no one cares about in a year, you might be able to get a $1 out of it if you work for it. Getting that $1 back will kill more time than the $1 was even worth.
If you buy an already established collectible for $50, you might have an easy to sell comic worth $100 in a few years.

Your down time... your hobby... is just as much fun if you are more selective and spend it on things that are more inspiring to collectors in general.

This principle became very important to me at a time when I was unemployed. I had no income coming in, but I was able to trade comics that I bought for under a dollar and get classics that were worth hundreds. If I'd spent that same money on a movie when I was 18, I'd have been struggling to have a meal. As it was, I was able to acquire better comics with stuff I already had and I wasn't staring at the walls the entire time with nothing to do and no money to do it anyway.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 Good points you make. I have been starting to buy a few trades lately because it is an affordable way to enjoy the whole arc or story. I do feel like I will never see my full amount that I paid for them if I were to sell them though.
Post 16 IP   flag post
600884 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?