Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Kamala Khan to be in Captain Marvel film.6554

Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
I understand being skeptical to a degree but considering how powerful Cap. Marvel is and how successful the vast majority of the MCU is, I'm a little surprised by how many people are automatically turning their noses up at something they haven't even seen yet.

Can anyone explain why the disinterest is so strong?
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure that Kamala will be in the present day when Carol returns to deus ex machina the hell out of everything.

Related but on another note, for anyone curious about the history of the Captain Marvel and SHAZAM names, here you go:

Post 52 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
I understand being skeptical to a degree but considering how powerful Cap. Marvel is and how successful the vast majority of the MCU is, I'm a little surprised by how many people are automatically turning their noses up at something they haven't even seen yet.

I'll wait for some trailers for it. I remember seeing the Dr. Strange trailer and feeling underwhelmed, so when I saw it, I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. A trailer can make or break a film, but I'm not sure what the deal is with this one. Maybe because Disney is throwing a few Captain Marvels in the same film and the new Ms Marvel.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
For you guys that dont like the movie (even you guys have not seen the movie yet)even so i bet they make just as much money as the next.Marvel and DC are raking in the doe(money).
Post 54 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Why does her left hand have Newton Rings?
She's Pakistani-American. It's Mehndi body art

Looks to be a rip-off of the original Captain Marvel’s forearm rings.

P.S. Even included a lighting bolt on the costume.

Post 55 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I figured the “newton rings” was in reference to the design she has painted on her hand, not her bracelet.

And the “S” on her outfit is taken from the previous Ms. Marvel, Carol Danvers
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven

The history of Captain Marvel is too convoluted and much of it is lame.

I've read very little of the original Marvel character in the green outfit, but I know I didn't like it. I started reading with issue #22 when it came out. Starlin made him cool and I like the whole angle of Rick Jones swapping places with him and each being banished to the negative zone when they weren't on Earth. It left a mystery to the whole body swap.

Eventually, Starlin was allowed to kill the character. Some people loved the boldness of the act. I detested it. There are two main reasons why I detested it..

1) I don't buy superhero comics to read about losers.
2) I knew we'd be dealing with flashbacks of the character and his name for years to come. My worst nightmares about this have been manifest. The character was dead, but they kept the name going with some REALLY lame characters.

Ms. Marvel was okay in her 70's series. There was a lot of controversy because of the horrible fashion statement she made. People really criticized the inclusion of a scarf on her outfit.

Ms. Marvel was cancelled which finally seemed to put the character to rest. Out of nowhere, Monica Rambeau shows up and she's called Captain Marvel. Seriously? They couldn't name her something else? The character was lame and I cringed whenever I saw her drawn in any comic panel. My dismay did not last long because shortly after she appeared, I quit collecting for approximately a decade.

When I started back collecting, she appeared to be gone. I don't know what happened to her, but I was glad I din't have to look at her. About 8 years went by and the bad writing (ie. the Spider-man clone sage, Tony Stark as a teenager etc.) and the crappy degradation of art (ie. John Romits Jr. - barf!) turned me off to buying Marvel Comics permanently. Between the collapse of the canon which had been Marvel Comics and the anything goes mentality, nothing has even tempted me to buy Marvel Comics in the past 17 years.

I do read things about Marvel Comics and I was scanning over comics at the stores... speed reading per se. I was aware about Kamala Khan becoming the new Ms. Marvel and thought the idea was lame and idiotic. If they want to create a new female Muslim character to broaden Marvel's audience, create a damn new hero and make her interesting. Don't swipe the name of an already established character and rebrand some new character because you're too lazy to actually create an interesting character that can sell comics on her own merits.

This whole line of "Mervels"... be them a Captains or a Ms., is derivative garbage.

If I retrace what I said above... I liked Starlin's Captain Marvel up until Starlin killed him. I have a fondness for seeing THAT character on the big screen. I have no fondness for seeing a female character in a likeness of the original green outfit. Especially not a dumpy looking female that I don't want to look at for 2 hours. The early photos of her in costume make her look dumpy. I have a rule of thumb about movies. If there is a super hot female in a movie, I'll consider watching it even if tjhe story is bad. Why? ...Because a super hot female is still entertaining to me even if the story is bad and she can't act worth a damn.

So far, nothing about this movie appeals to me. Nothing about the Inhumans appealed to me and that movie and TV series was worse than I could have even imagined it would be. I'm not optimistic about the Captain Marvel movie and it may be the first one that I purposely don't go see.

Antman & The Wasp on the other hand looks like it'll be exactly what I want to see and more.
Post 57 IP   flag post
600741 57 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?