Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Savage Sword of Conan haul6536

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Here are some copies that I picked up yesterday. Trying to complete 1-50. Yesterday's numbers 21,30,42,43,44 and 48.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
They look sharp, bro.

How far are you from completing the run?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Those are great. I've got a few that I'm *waiting* to get graded whenever magazine slabs are available.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Just spoke to Jake today. They hope to have Magazine slabs available by the end of the year.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
They look sharp, bro.

How far are you from completing the run?
I would have to count. But I do need the first 10 issues.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

Couldn’t stop at 50 myself, the girl from 58 called me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Tdog13 private msg quote post Address this user
Krom! Those are sweet. Nice haul!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Great cover art. Nice haul!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice! SSOC was by far the best Conan title IMO. I have all the Dark Horse “phone book” style reprints, but I still keep a stack of the original mags that I bought off the stands back in the day. Definitely quality stuff! Congrats on your acquisition!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

Couldn’t stop at 50 myself, the girl from 58 called me.

Savage Sword was a great title. Conan soooo benefited from the Black and White magazine format that had no Comic Code Authority oversight.

The first several years truly showed that John Buscema could stand toe to toe with the greatest artists that worked in the comic book field. Most of his career at Marvel he was a house artist, well regarded for being able to do a lot of work. But when he had more time and wanted to, his stuff was beautiful. It shows in the first several years of SSOC.

It was also SSOC where I first discovered Earl Norem - a frequent cover artist but not someone I had otherwise seen in comics. He was I learned an extremely popular artist for the "men's magazines" popular in the 50's and 60's. But geez he could paint and his Conan work was perfect.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It is nice to see that you guys appreciate SSOC like I do.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I love SSOC and have most of the issues, in various conditions. I'm probably missing 15-20 issues out of the run. I have a couple of the treasury sized, and his Savage Tales appearances. As has been said, some fantastic art work throughout the run, with some hiccups along the way.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
I am a huge Conan fan. I'm missing 11 issues (all from 46 and below) to complete my SSOC run. I'm missing 6 issues of Conan Saga and 11 issues of Conan the Barbarian. I have all the annuals and Giant Size as well as the full run of Conan the King/King Conan. Also have Savage Tales # 2 and 3, the first issue is out of my current budget (damn you man-Thing!)

I'm eagerly waiting for magazine size so I can sub at least my SSOC #1.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Here my other recent Conan pickups.Both numbered and signed from 1976.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Jellery private msg quote post Address this user
Sweet haul! I recently went to a little antique store downtown and was surprised to see there was a comic bin full of Savage Sword of Conan. I bought them all, 2$ Each. There were about 22 issues, and most were pretty well kept.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Jellery That is awesome. I might go back for the higher numbers that I do not have yet. Just did not have enough time to look longer.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Here are some copies that I picked up yesterday. Trying to complete 1-50. Yesterday's numbers 21,30,42,43,44 and 48.

Did you get them for a decent price?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

Did you get them for a decent price?
Yes. I feel the price was very fair considering how clean they were. Cheaper than the new books on the rack. They are from 1977-1979.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user
I always was a fan of Conan but my collection was sporadic. I have SSOC 14-18, 22, 24-29, 31-32, 42-44, 46, 48 and this guy...

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rejaak
I always was a fan of Conan but my collection was sporadic. I have SSOC 14-18, 22, 24-29, 31-32, 42-44, 46, 48 and this guy...

Nice! I think I am going to keep buying copies of SSOC especially if they are in higher grades and the price is right. The art and stories are so good and underrated in my opinion.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
I have 45 Conan Saga starting from #2 and up (with a handful of SSoC). All are in very nice shape, with some duplicates (bagged and boarded). Considering selling, PM if interested.
Post 21 IP   flag post
601325 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?