Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original Artwork

Comic Art Cover Overlay Question650

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I have a cover or two that I'm thinking of having an overlay done to make the covers look more like one that was published. Can anyone recommend anyone that does them?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure I understand what you're asking?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Generally the overlay is made out of a clear acetate sheet that has the title of the book, the comic company, number, price...etc. on it. I trust that makes sense the way I described it.

Sometimes those items are drawn on covers, sometimes they are pasted on, and sometimes a clear acetate is used in the printing process. I'd like to add a clear sheet with all of the above to make a cover's artwork I just purchased look like the published book without damaging the art and effecting the value. I'm looking for someone that can do that.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Closest I know of someone doing that is a person who makes cover recreations, I believe on 13 x 20 bristol board. He does GREAT work. One requirement though is that the artist must be deceased. He does that out of respect to the artists that are still alive. I don't know if that would interest you, but his name is Bruce McCorkindale.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if they do overlays, but you could contact them and ask

http://www.agraphicstateofmind.com/comic_art_restoration_services.html
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, I think I get it. You want a transparent overlay to go over an original piece of art to make it look like the cover of a printed book? If all the overlay entails is the title font and the publisher logo, issue #, you might be able to accomplish this yourself with PhotoShop and a Kinkos.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Ok, I think I get it. You want a transparent overlay to go over an original piece of art to make it look like the cover of a printed book? If all the overlay entails is the title font and the publisher logo, issue #, you might be able to accomplish this yourself with PhotoShop and a Kinkos.

I don't know a thing about Photoshop. Never used it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Scipio2000 private msg quote post Address this user
This is why I generally (not always) only buy original art that looks like the printed page.

Unless the piece is exceptional as a work of art in its own right, I actually prefer having the word balloons, etc. That's what makes original comic book art special and unique.
Post 8 IP   flag post
600879 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?