Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

How can I block someone here?6480

Collector AtlasLad67 private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious because Im not here to argue
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If you can, I’m not aware.

There are members here that have asked other members not to engage them or participate in their threads. I’m not sure it’s effective, but I’ve seen it a time or two.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasLad67
Just curious because Im not here to argue


You should be mature enough to ignore them. Even if there was a "bozo bin" feature, you'd see them in quoted responses to other members. This is an age old question beginning from the earliest Usenet discussion boards. The best answer has always been to not let some stranger on a discussion/forum board to get under your skin.

Simply:

Ignore them.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasLad67
Just curious because Im not here to argue


I'm going to say this, and you're likely going to be offended by it, but it needs to be said.

Are you here just to have people accept what you have to say as the final word, with no debate or discussion of any kind?

Because if that's the case, you ought not be saying anything at all.

The risk people take by putting their thoughts and opinions out into the public square...as much of a public square as this place is...is that other people have the "right" (which isn't true on ANY privately owned space, such as this forum, but for the sake of the argument, let's go with it) to challenge you, to disagree with you, to question you.

And, frankly, that IS a risk. It's a social risk, it's a business risk. But if you're going to take that risk, you have to be prepared to accept the consequences....or not take the risk at all, which is a legitimate choice that many people make every day.

Yes, this place has more than its fair share of nitwits who don't know how to debate honestly, who take disagreement with their ideas as an attack on them personally, who respond like adolescents with their egos bruised, little of which is addressed by the powers that be, who generally respond to the mob, not what is right or just or true.

But the solution, if you don't want to argue with people...?

Stop arguing.

It's pretty straightforward.

No argument, in the entire history of the world, has EVER been conducted by just one person. It takes a minimum of two people to argue. Always has, always will. So all of this "you just want to argue" and "you think you're always right" baloney is entirely that, made by people who are doing the exact same thing, but aren't honest enough to admit it.

All that said, I've appreciated your spunk so far, and would hate to see it quashed. But, if you're here just to say whatever you want and not be challenged in any way...you're definitely in the wrong place.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Haven't seen that feature here. I've never seen it really work because you usually see the quoted text when a different user replies to the person you want to block. I try to just skip over the threads where people want to be intentionally confrontational.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
That said, I do wish there was a vigorous ignore feature, one that not only blocks you from seeing what others say, but blocks them from seeing what you say, even quoted. Sadly, I don't see anything like that anywhere.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector AtlasLad67 private msg quote post Address this user
No I'm here to give opinions and hear opinions. Comic related only because my politics probably would get me dumped lol. But if I ask you to stop trying to engage me when I've already agreed to disagree then you should. I would. Anything else is ignorance
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasLad67
No I'm here to give opinions and hear opinions. Comic related only because my politics probably would get me dumped lol. But if I ask you to stop trying to engage me when I've already agreed to disagree then you should. I would. Anything else is ignorance


I certainly agree that people should stop trying to engage you if you ask them, but there are an awful lot of very bad actors out there who don't give two squats about civility and honesty, and it's hard for moderation to address interpersonal issues. Plus, it requires a level of discipline from you to also not engage that other person, lest you be a hypocrite. The way that's addressed is by elevating the overall tone of the entire place, and not tolerating certain behaviors and methods of interaction.

(In case there's confusion, I use "engage" to mean "initiate." It's not the same thing as responding to that engagement.)

The way it's solved on a personal level is that vigorous ignore function that nobody seems capable of creating, with the possible exception of Google.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
There is an inherent problem with ignoring a topic when you disagree with someone else. People will fill the void and badmouth you when you are doing them the service of bowing out. I've shown respect for a forum and left, but the people who wanted me to change my mind spread lies about me and ran my name through the mud when they don't even know me. I've seen it perpetuate for a decade or more. It doesn't even bother me that people disagree with me. I have a problem with blatant lies being posted in my absence as a tool to perpetuate their agenda to sabotage my credibility.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
That said, I do wish there was a vigorous ignore feature, one that not only blocks you from seeing what others say, but blocks them from seeing what you say, even quoted. Sadly, I don't see anything like that anywhere.


#soon
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
There's a cost, however, to blocking people that you don't like...and that is, exposure to ideas that you may have not considered, the "echo chamber" effect.

Nobody...and I do mean NO ONE...has absolutely nothing to offer other people. It's a double negative on purpose. Everyone has something to offer to others. Everyone has something of value to contribute to people, even if that value is just in offering a viewpoint not considered before.

Blocking yourself from that has a cost. Sometimes it's a high cost, sometimes it's low, but it's never no cost.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
There's a cost, however, to blocking people that you don't like...and that is, exposure to ideas that you may have not considered, the "echo chamber" effect.

Nobody...and I do mean NO ONE...has absolutely nothing to offer other people. It's a double negative on purpose. Everyone has something to offer to others. Everyone has something of value to contribute to people, even if that value is just in offering a viewpoint not considered before.

Blocking yourself from that has a cost. Sometimes it's a high cost, sometimes it's low, but it's never no cost.


Beautifully stated...


Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
See? Even you have something to contribute.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I'm kidding, I'm kidding! Relax! Put DOWN the pitchforks!
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown You have contributed so much to my life sir. The bonds I have formed.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector AtlasLad67 private msg quote post Address this user
Lol
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@DocBrown You have contributed so much to my life sir. The bonds I have formed.


The feeling, I assure you, is most intensely mutual, of that I am most certain.
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
In more ways than one
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I even gave a like. Imagine.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke @DocBrown You guys need to hug.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I feel like several of you are going to be stacked like Lego's pretty soon. I need to find another topic to read.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Unrelated question: How can I make life long friends here?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Unrelated question: How can I make life long friends here?


Yay! I get to use the word stippend!

A weekly stippend is the easiest way.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Unrelated question: How can I make life long friends here?


Yay! I get to use the word stippend!

A weekly stippend is the easiest way.


No you don't. Stippend ain't a word.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Unrelated question: How can I make life long friends here?


You already have at least one. Try not to lose me.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Anyways, I'm gonna say this is much funner.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasLad67
No I'm here to give opinions and hear opinions. Comic related only because my politics probably would get me dumped lol. But if I ask you to stop trying to engage me when I've already agreed to disagree then you should. I would. Anything else is ignorance


There's nothing wong with a good solid passionate debate. Sometimes it actually produces new and useful information. Sometimes both sides have valid points. A little clever "ribbing" can be fun. It's when the debate becomes circular or personal that it becomes a waste of space. If some info or opinion is posted on this board, anyone has the right to respond. I'm not taking sides, I don't even know what you and docbrown are debating. But he has a right to voice his opinion just as you or I do. I've been in a lot of forums in the past and have never seen a kill feature work.

Look around the World my friend. See the tragedies and atrocities that exist. Next look into yourself and question why on a comic book forum you are getting bent out of shape by someone you don't even know.

You answered your question in your very first post. You say "Just curious because Im not here to argue"

Don't..............
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
I'm not taking sides, I don't even know what you and docbrown are debating


We're not. This thread is in reference to the thread "Hulk #1 Cut Coupon." I am unrelated to the impetus for this thread.

Gotta read the whole board.
Post 30 IP   flag post
183320 135 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.
destitute