Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch Covers

Really bad sketch covers648

Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
As a fan of Frank Millar, how could he put out that piece as a representation of his work.

It breaks my heart to see and if I was the owner, I wouldn't show anyone so that know one knew. I would be afraid it would turn off a new collector from looking into his work.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, Miller's sketch covers are all over the place.

Some are okay

Some are horrible

Some I don't know how to feel about

Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Yeah, Miller's sketch covers are all over the place.

Some are okay

Some are horrible

Some I don't know how to feel about

Wow, I do not even know what to say.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like Miller is great when he's doing professional work and has time to do it right, but under the pressure of doing con sketches on the spot becomes hit and miss.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Haha. I still haven't seen a cover worse than the one I posted. That last batman FM cover made me laugh tho.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'm honestly not sure I'd want to get a sig from him in person if only because it'd make me sad to see how badly he's aged in the last 10 years.

It is alarming
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
Haha. I still haven't seen a cover worse than the one I posted. That last batman FM cover made me laugh tho.

I would like to go to the ebay listing and ask the seller "What where you taking when you did that?"
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The quality of Frank Miller's sketch covers can vary significantly

That looks like Frank Miller's 4 year old kid drew that...yikes.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Did you ever commission a sketch that was a disappointment? I've only had one done so far by Clay Mann. It's at CBCS waiting to be graded. Anyways, post any that you have that you were disappointed with.

I came across this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Quinn-Invades-1-blank-variant-Rodrigues-Art-signed-/272270470662?hash=item3f6495ae06:g:ZgkAAOSwo0JWJA5X

This is so bad, I would just give it away.

Not a fan of this cover, but its not really a valid example to your question.
If you commissioned this artist for a cover, what exactly were you expecting?
Shouldnt you already know the artists style of work before handing over a fist full of money?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Isn't that the point though? You expect some great work because the artist is great, but then you get disappointed because the sketch comes out really bad.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Isn't that the point though? You expect some great work because the artist is great, but then you get disappointed because the sketch comes out really bad.

Im confused. So you like this guys art style and think its great. But youd be disappointed if you received that Harley?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
This is a Punisher done by Miller. I like Frank's face and everything from the waist up on the sketch.

Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino_013
Quote:

Im confused. So you like this guys art style and think its great. But youd be disappointed if you received that Harley?

Well, first off, I don't know that artist and didn't commission that sketch. If you bothered to read through the thread, even great artists can have bad sketches.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Heres a couple of others he has listed. Maybe im missing something, but his style seems pretty consistent to me:

Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, first off, I don't know that artist and didn't commission that sketch. If you bothered to read through the thread, even great artists can have bad sketches.

Yes I read through the thread. Its mostly people complaining about Frank Millers sketches. But it seems more like you didn't read your own question:

"Did you ever commission a sketch that was a disappointment?"

Then posted an example of some random guys work which in turn really has nothing to do with your question.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I think that Punisher is pretty cool, honestly. Frank Miller's style has always, for the most part, been more sketchy/sloppy and cartoonish. But the energy he captures, Ronin is a great example, is pretty darn fantastic. I would not expect him to do something amazing with a 15-30 minute convention sketch. Keep in mind his age and health, too.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Going back to the original question, I have had artist do a quick drawing for me at conventions at no cost and I never complain of what I got. Robert Kirkman doing a zombie head on a poster or Eastman doing a quick Turtle head on a blank cover.

So if Frank just did a quick sketch like those above for no cost, I probably wouldn't be upset and just happy he did anything. But if I paid him 1000 to do a sketch and that is what I got, I would feel like I got robbed. I believe that when you pay for a commission, whatever the cost is, there is an expectation that the artist will put in at least a hour on the job and not just doodle something in less then 5 minutes.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I read through the thread. Its mostly people complaining about Frank Millers sketches. But it seems more like you didn't read your own question:

"Did you ever commission a sketch that was a disappointment?"

Then posted an example of some random guys work which in turn really has nothing to do with your question.

I posted a question to see if anyone had been disappointed by a commissioned sketch and then posted an example of a bad sketch. Seems like everyone got my meaning, but you. There's no need to analyze a post to create an argument. If you don't agree with my post, good for you. I'm not here to argue semantics. Feel free to move along.
Post 43 IP   flag post
597868 43 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?