Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@Unknown I've had payroll issues with a few employers in the past, one time for almost 6 weeks. It's never pleasant to deal with but it does happen.

If it's something you need back quickly there's always the option to Fast Pass it. If the market value of the book doesn't justify the cost to do that then odds are the market won't shift that drastically by waiting for the regular TAT.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Almost forgot... the move is taking place this month. I can't/won't give specific dates on that though.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Wise decision.

There are slab rustlers out there, just waiting for an opportunity to waylay a wagonload of slabs moving across the desolate countryside.

I hope you have Dice riding shotgun...

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Unknown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
@Unknown I've had payroll issues with a few employers in the past, one time for almost 6 weeks. It's never pleasant to deal with but it does happen.

If it's something you need back quickly there's always the option to Fast Pass it. If the market value of the book doesn't justify the cost to do that then odds are the market won't shift that drastically by waiting for the regular TAT.

If books are already at CBCS and I notice the TAT’s slow down then can I call and have them flipped to fast pass?
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
fast pass

I’m still a bit surprised Disney is cool with CBCS ripping this term

It’s no coincidence,DW is close to home base!
Post 55 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Post 56 IP   flag post
@Unknown You'd have to check with Customer Service on that. I'm not 100% sure if they have a way to add Fast Pass once the order is in the system or not and don't want to misinform you.
Post 57 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@TimBildhauser

Hi...i submitted 10 books and mailed them (yesterday) to your new Dallas address. That was the correct place to mail them right?
Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@TimBildhauser

Hi...i submitted 10 books and mailed them (yesterday) to your new Dallas address. That was the correct place to mail them right?
Yes
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
@Unknown You are more than welcome to ask that question on our board. Information is good for everyone.

Is the customer service email being monitored? What’s the average turnaround?
Post 60 IP   flag post
@Unknown The last update I heard on TAT is still in the 12 week range. It's probably safe to assume that might slip a week or so with preparations for the move being made.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Unknown The last update I heard on TAT is still in the 12 week range. It's probably safe to assume that might slip a week or so with preparations for the move being made.

lol

Ok. I can see what I did wrong.

I sent an email to customer service last week with no response. I sent a friendly reminder yesterday. I was curious what the turnaround on a response from customer service is via email. My bad.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan

Slabs: It's kinda a toss up. A preference thing. All said and done, I prefer the CBCS slab. CGC's new slab feels super solid and secure in hand and looks great. At least the plastic does - but I'll get to that. CGC's slab being sealed all along the edges, being thicker and heavier just has a "quality" feel. But there are downsides too. Newton rings (prism or rainbow effect - that oil on water on the book look) is now just a way of life on CGC's slabs. The old trick of sliding a piece of paper between the two layers of plastic pushing them apart won't work anymore because of the sides being sealed. Being thicker means that more CBCS slabs will fit in a standard slab box. 25 CGC 32-33 CBCS. Makes a difference when you have 200 or more.

This is a really good post (I omitted most of it in the interests of space). What I think really sets CBCS apart from CGC is (i) the predictable and even-handed grading and (ii) the overall feel of the holder. We've all been victim to incredibly harsh CGC grades or inconsistent CGC grading over the last 15 years or so. By contrast, I really have never heard anyone complain about inconsistent grading or unduly harsh grading or 'gift'-grading at CBCS.

As to the holder, I prefer CBCS' holder over CGC's -- it's lighter, no Newton ring risk, and slightly thinner than CGC's. I don't think a comic book should be inside something that is any heavier or thicker than it needs to be. I do think CBCS needs to, once again, reevaluate the aesthetics to its label, which I'm not going to rehash here. I have no doubt that with the new owner group, we will see CBCS launch a new and dramatically improved label later this year or next year. (I think a new label will dramatically improve prices realized on eBay -- see last paragraph below.)

I really don't care about TATs because I collect and I don't flip/deal. Cost is about the same, customer service is about the same.

The only other item to consider between CBCS and CGC is market value. I absolutely agree that you're not going to see much of a price differential between the two companies for the same grade on the same book if you're buying from a reputable dealer or in a comic auction run by reputable dealers. It's sales on eBay where there is a price differential. This will change over the years as CBCS becomes more entrenched in the market, and more CBCS books are out there. Eventually there will be parity between the two on prices realized on eBay.
Post 63 IP   flag post
The best way to determine which grading company is the most consistent is to obtain and submit a large sample (in this case, maybe 100 or more) of books across all ages, under tightly controlled conditions, and then re-submit them to the other company, and compare the results.

This can be done, but it would be very expensive, unless the companies wish to engage in a "secret shopper" program, which might not be a bad idea.

Otherwise, claims of "this company is more consistent than that company" are anecdotal. Not wrong...just anecdotal.
Post 64 IP   flag post
In fact...I highly recommend CBCS have its own "secret shopper" program, to blindly test the consistency, accuracy, and quality of their products and service.
Post 65 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Recently, I cheated on CBCS.

Yep. Me. TATs were out of control here, things were hitting the fan with other issues, and I needed a quick flip of some books.

What a freaking mess. I sent 15 for quickpress and grade. 2 1/2 months later they were back to me (yay! Holy hell that was fast!). Except...

The books were in worse condition than when I sent them. I pressed them myself and knew them intimately. Squished spines. Cardstock muckled.

Yet some of the grades were higher than they should be. Two very ugly 9.8s as well.

The newton rings. God, the oily mess they are! Especially on white books.

Suffice to say, I will not be going back there. Especially for books in my PC.

The good ones sold already, but y’all can buy up the rest of these ugly things on my ebay if you like 😁

ps I know new slabs are coming soon here, fingers crossed they use the same crystal clear materials 🤞🏻
Post 66 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I know new slabs are coming soon here, fingers crossed they use the same crystal clear materials 🤞🏻

Actually no. The new slab is even clearer than the current slab.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I hate to admit. I like CBCS slabs for my own purpose but for selling as of now - I gotta go with CGC
Post 68 IP   flag post
2 x-men 266 9.2 were sold with a few days in between.

I bought my CBCS for $100 and I was the only bidder whereas the CGC went for $140 and had like 40 bids. Know that this is not representative but unless you get to the keys where collectors/investors look for the book not the slabbing company I see a trend. Hope that trend will reverse over time. Having a registry would be one sure way to reduce the trend.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I know new slabs are coming soon here, fingers crossed they use the same crystal clear materials 🤞🏻

Actually no. The new slab is even clearer than the current slab.

This isn't an emperor's new clothes thing is it??
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
2 x-men 266 9.2 were sold with a few days in between.

I bought my CBCS for $100 and I was the only bidder whereas the CGC went for $140 and had like 40 bids. Know that this is not representative but unless you get to the keys where collectors/investors look for the book not the slabbing company I see a trend. Hope that trend will reverse over time. Having a registry would be one sure way to reduce the trend.

I actually don’t mind starting a market or giving it momentum. I did that with CGC on some titles. I just can’t afford too much of a loss. Razor thin margins I can manage in the short term. I am curious if there is a registry with CBCS yet or the plan if not.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I hate to admit. I like CBCS slabs for my own purpose but for selling as of now - I gotta go with CGC

I have the exact thinking. However, I've been giving some thought about dropping CGC altogether. The last few submissions had either bad puddling or were covered (and I mean COVERED) in newton rings.

Now that CBCS is going to new cases, however, I have some reservations. I think I'll just stop grading altogether for a year and see how things look then.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Cbcs label looks multiples better than cgc.. Clean, neat and simple.. When I look at the slabs side by side, cgc is an absolute (dated) mess.

Also cbcs case is far cleaner / clearer too..

Definitely my preferred slab for my collection. Shame postage costs so much from my part of the world so I've yet to submit my own books.
Post 73 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:

I have the exact thinking. However, I've been giving some thought about dropping CGC altogether. The last few submissions had either bad puddling or were covered (and I mean COVERED) in newton rings.

Now that CBCS is going to new cases, however, I have some reservations. I think I'll just stop grading altogether for a year and see how things look then.

Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Cbcs label looks multiples better than cgc.. Clean, neat and simple.. When I look at the slabs side by side, cgc is an absolute (dated) mess.

One of my issues with the new CBCS label is the font size on the artist and writer information. It's maybe 8-point font, if I'm being generous? Incredibly tiny. Again, in light of the acquisition, I think this and other items on the CBCS label will be corrected within a year.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'll do a quick run down of major areas to compare:

Price: CBCS will generally be a few dollars less expensive at any given service tier, including modern which the OP asked about. This isn't an absolute, but generally. CBCS also allows those that rarely submit to do so directly without a membership. Prices are a bit higher ($18 for a modern no membership vs $16 with membership). But you can submit without purchasing a membership or going through a dealer. And CBCS doesn't charge an annoying $5 submission fee.

I was actually a little excited to not pay the $5 fee until I see that it’s a $16 fee on my 1st submission. I gotta say that at this point I prefer the $5 fee. Hold you responsible for not mentioning the higher fee. :-p
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Price: CBCS will generally be a few dollars less expensive at any given service tier, including modern which the OP asked about. This isn't an absolute, but generally. CBCS also allows those that rarely submit to do so directly without a membership. Prices are a bit higher ($18 for a modern no membership vs $16 with membership). But you can submit without purchasing a membership or going through a dealer. And CBCS doesn't charge an annoying $5 submission fee.

I was actually a little excited to not pay the $5 fee until I see that it’s a $16 fee on my 1st submission. I gotta say that at this point I prefer the $5 fee. Hold you responsible for not mentioning the higher fee. :-p

Never heard about the $16 fee. Can you show the invoice (redact personal info)
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never heard about the $16 fee. Can you show the invoice (redact personal info)

Not sure yet if it is a standard $16 fee or fluctuates depending on number of books.

Post 78 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
That's shipping and handling. CGC charges shipping and handling. And a $5 fee per submission. Every tier (modern, value, standard, ect) is a separate submission. And a $5 fee
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
That's shipping and handling. CGC charges shipping and handling. And a $5 fee per submission. Every tier (modern, value, standard, ect) is a separate submission. And a $5 fee

It’s being shipped on my FedEx account so it can only be handling which CGC does not charge.

It’s not so much the cost but the idea of an “extra” charge. Overall it still appears to make CBCS cheaper but relatively the same and is not a real concern. The cost of slabbing just dictates which books can be slabbed if selling.
Post 80 IP   flag post
600655 84 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?