Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Unknown private msg quote post Address this user
Not trying to be controversial but I am hoping to get some advice either in the thread or via pm on any dealers with experience submitting to both. I average about 75 books a week and am considering a change.

I submit almost exclusively regular track moderns. How does CBCS compare in price, customer service, turn around time and sales price. I can provide more information via pm.

I didn’t see any forum policy prohibiting questions like these as opposed to CGC’s message board. My apologies if I am. Thanks for your time.
Post 1 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@Unknown You are more than welcome to ask that question on our board. Information is good for everyone.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
At the moment not sure. They are moving to Texas, and claiming much better things are to come with the merger (well not really a merger, just same building sharing some staff). I would assume things will change from now.

A year ago, CBCS smashed CGC in almost all the categories you listed.

Now? There are issues.

A month from now when they are settled in... ? Here’s hoping. 🤞🏻
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks. I also have a long standing relationship with Lonestar and I can see some potential benefits with this move. The reholder issue has just become out of control lately. Any idea of the reholder rate?

And thanks, Steve.
Post 4 IP   flag post
And I seem to recall CBCS offering to reholder CGC books at a reduced rate at one point. Is that still available or is it just wishful thinking?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
And I seem to recall CBCS offering to reholder CGC books at a reduced rate at one point. Is that still available or is it just wishful thinking?

That was just for a limited time. It was when CGC had all the problems with their new design.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS is the way better choice. More accurate grading, speed of service, customer service. The labels/cases are nicer looking.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
CBCS is the way better choice. More accurate grading, speed of service, customer service. The labels/cases are nicer looking.

Agree with all those points EXCEPT for speed of service. But hopefully that will change once they're settled into the new place.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Wolverine There was a hurricane sir, they have no control over nature!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 3JJr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
CBCS is the way better choice. More accurate grading.

In the upper grade ranges? That's for damn sure. And the consistency and accuracy isn't randomly subject to hot and cold streaks, like Lady Luck is.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
How do the prices compare? Say I want to get a New Mutants 98 graded and Iron Fist 14 graded.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
How do the prices compare? Say I want to get a New Mutants 98 graded and Iron Fist 14 graded.

IMHO, they are both grading tough recently, but the other side of the street currently brings higher returns. They should even out over time, so it depends if you're selling now or the future.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I'll do a quick run down of major areas to compare:

Price: CBCS will generally be a few dollars less expensive at any given service tier, including modern which the OP asked about. This isn't an absolute, but generally. CBCS also allows those that rarely submit to do so directly without a membership. Prices are a bit higher ($18 for a modern no membership vs $16 with membership). But you can submit without purchasing a membership or going through a dealer. And CBCS doesn't charge an annoying $5 submission fee.

Turn Around Time: CGC is faster than CBCS. Almost 2x faster on the least expensive (modern) tier. The more expensive tiers CBCS and CGC are similar in TAT. Hopefully moderns and lower priced pre 1975 books will speed up once the move is done and more staff can be added. But right now....

Slabs: It's kinda a toss up. A preference thing. All said and done, I prefer the CBCS slab. CGC's new slab feels super solid and secure in hand and looks great. At least the plastic does - but I'll get to that. CGC's slab being sealed all along the edges, being thicker and heavier just has a "quality" feel. But there are downsides too. Newton rings (prism or rainbow effect - that oil on water on the book look) is now just a way of life on CGC's slabs. The old trick of sliding a piece of paper between the two layers of plastic pushing them apart won't work anymore because of the sides being sealed. Being thicker means that more CBCS slabs will fit in a standard slab box. 25 CGC 32-33 CBCS. Makes a difference when you have 200 or more.

For me, the biggest downside to CGC's new slab isn't widely recognized. Read the fine print... IF you ever send a CGC book back in to be reholdered, the fine print says(I'm summarizing) that the CGC slab is hard to open, your book might get damaged and you release CGC from any damages that result from removing the book from their holder.

CBCS says no such thing about their slab.

Prices when sold Complicated. CGC is the better known company. CBCS prices have a lot to do with where and how you sell. If you sell on eBay or Facebook you'll eventually have someone say it ought to be less because it's not CGC. But if you sell on Heritage, ComicLink, ComicConnect - or even eBay with BIN - you'll see the two companies slabs sell for equivalent prices for equivalent books. Not to be unkind, but eBay and FB are where a lot of newbies hang out. More advanced collectors are shopping the other places I mentioned. And those collectors know who Steve Borock is, they know CBCS is a legitimate, first tier grading company.

Customer service: Most people won't notice a difference. People answer the phone, staff are polite and helpful. But CBCS is definitely the more "collector oriented" company. Take signatures for instance. CBCS recognizes CGC Signature series books as legitimate. CBCS has a verified signature program for books signed when no witness was around. And CBCS has opportunities for regular folks -with an application and background check - to participate in getting signatures. With CGC it's big business and only those that can guarantee thousands of signatures a year need bother asking.

In the past CBCS has been a lot quicker to recognize and acknowledge problems. High level staff are on this chat board and often comment. And you can even talk about CGC here, where discussing CBCS on the CGC boards is forbidden.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the CBCS boards Unknown.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Wolverine There was a hurricane sir, they have no control over nature!

I will never use CGC again, but I am asking this to be fair to them.
Didn't CGC also have to deal with the same hurricane?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Nope, #FakeNews
Post 15 IP   flag post
I prefer not to see topics like this because it can be a tool used by the competitor to prey on the other company's customers.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Nope, #FakeNews

You are speaking falsely about my post. I did not post that as news. I asked a question.

I will ask three more questions before dropping out of this conversation.

Isn't CGC located in Florida?
Wasn't CBCS affected by the Hurricane in Florida?
Wasn't it the same Hurricane affecting both companies in the same state?
Post 17 IP   flag post
@X51
I shall answer your questions sir.

Isn't CGC located in Florida? YES
Wasn't CBCS affected by the Hurricane in Florida? NO, only CBCS was affected.
Wasn't it the same Hurricane affecting both companies in the same state? God, specifically targeted CBCS' offices with the hurricane, totally missing the CGC area. Thus causing CBCS's TAT to be delayed 3-6 Months more than usual.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
From communication in the hobby, if you have a higher value modern or vintage book, worth more than a couple hundred dollars. CBCS will move that book to a higher value tier and charge you for it. CGC seems to just let it fly under the tier you originally submitted, unless its a big Silver or Gold key. Walking Dead 1, Werewolf by Night 32, New Mutants 98, Giant X-Men 1 type books can go through under CGC modern while they likely get bumped with CBCS.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
@X51
I shall answer your questions sir.

Isn't CGC located in Florida? YES
Wasn't CBCS affected by the Hurricane in Florida? NO, only CBCS was affected.
Wasn't it the same Hurricane affecting both companies in the same state? God, specifically targeted CBCS' offices with the hurricane, totally missing the CGC area. Thus causing CBCS's TAT to be delayed 3-6 Months more than usual.

It affected EVERYONE. I had a check coming out of Florida that week and I got it two weeks late. A second check sent the following week arrived before the one that had shipped that week. I think God likes CBCS. He was just testing them to prove there is an opportunity for improvement. :P
Post 20 IP   flag post
@X51 Weird though cause CGC TAT wasn't affected. Head scratcher.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I say the following a hundred times a year...

1) I know a little of everything, a lot of nothing.
2) I'm not as stupid as I am. (I modified something Steve Martin said)
3) I'm not even half as stupid as I am.

The best wisdom I ever read was:
If you can buy your way out of a problem, you don't have a problem.

As far as TATs go... CBCS needs to hire the number of graders they need for the business they want to have, not the business they currently have. Spreadsheets have important data on them, but you don't let them control a business. The business will roll in if they have the capacity to process it. They need to think big, not small.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I prefer not to see topics like this because it can be a tool used by the competitor to prey on the other company's customers.

That’s an interesting take. So far I applaud the more open CBCS boards. Not sure how one would prey on customers.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Ok. So the straight up modern submission is $16 at CBCS with membership and $16 at CGC (plus $5 invoice fee) with a dealer account.

Fast track at CGC I believe is $8 more for dealers (haven’t fast tracked in awhile) while CBCS has fast pass for an additional $9.

Looks like CBCS is 3-4 weeks longer on moderns right now so i’m Guessing about 2 weeks slower fast pass vs fast tracked.

But I did read about Beckett and now see about a new facility. Future does look bright.

Please correct anything I am missing. Much appreciated.

The tier that really intrigues me is the 2 day modern. Is it really 2 days? That appears to be a decent price and a good jumping off point for me while I transition. Not familiar with a similar CGC tier.
Post 24 IP   flag post
And thanks for taking the time. I expected to get heckled for a couple pages before getting any half decent answers.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

That’s an interesting take. So far I applaud the more open CBCS boards. Not sure how one would prey on customers.
The board repeatedly gets post from people saying "I'm done with CBCS... they did ________________" (fill in the blank)

Quite often those reasons are just stupid. It's a way for the competitor to promote themselves while badmouthing the competition. CBCS needs to be applauded for letting the thread stand. CGC would be banning it and handing out suspensions. I'm not saying you are here doing that, but I'm sure others would and I'm confident that CGC would do it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Agreed. CGC would not allow this discussion. I looked for rules here before posting expecting a similar guideline. Glad to see that’s not the case. Might actually get back into sigs again although I was turned off of them. Does CBCS have a registry going yet?
Post 27 IP   flag post
My recent complaint with CGC. All the modern books I get back are crooked. They lay crooked to the right or left. Super annoying!

P.S. Newton Rings have basically been accepted as the norm. Which I think is unacceptable.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
i sell CGCs and I buy CBCSs (if I can)

as an example - i won this x-men 266 9.2 for $100. i was the only bidder. this comic goes for more ungraded

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My recent complaint with CGC. All the modern books I get back are crooked. They lay crooked to the right or left. Super annoying!

yep - one of my buyers is returning the slab because of this
Post 30 IP   flag post
600796 84 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?