Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Best option for Grading??6474

Collector fivestar private msg quote post Address this user
I have a book that is in great shape overall, save for a very small tear on the front cover edge (see photos) My question is this...

From a grading perspective, is it better to very carefully REMOVE the small piece that's dangling currently

OR

Is it better to leave it alone so that the graders can see that the entire book is there etc (though this increases the risk that something might snag it and make it worse--although it would likely just detach)

Also

I was planning to have this pressed before being signed--knowing that, does that impact your answer to the above at all?

I appreciate any feedback!

Here are some pics for reference...

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Do not remove the piece. Also, pay for press screening & let the presser decide if it’s safe to press.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Ripping pieces out of books will hurt the grade

That said, the tear is pretty significant and will limit the grade in any event.

Unless that particular copy has special meaning to you, I would not suggest having it pressed & graded.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Ripping pieces out of books will hurt the grade

That said, the tear is pretty significant and will limit the grade in any event.

Unless that particular copy has special meaning to you, I would not suggest having it pressed & graded.

Well shoot. I've never submitted anything with any sort of tear at all, but knew that it would take a hit (was thinking maybe drop it to an 8 just for that). Still to hear a tear that small is "pretty significant" is discouraging

I'd estimate it at maybe 5/8" long but only 1/32" -- How bad of a ceiling are we likely looking at considering the rest of the book is in pretty nice condition otherwise? I had bought it on a gamble but figured it could drop down all the way to a 5.5/6 area and I at least wouldn't be "out" $ -- so thought I had a decent buffer.

No sentimental value. I just like the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix storyline and was only looking at grading b/c I was thinking about having Stan & Claremont sign it. If it's likely too big a hit though, I'll just find something else to submit I suppose since signing fees aren't cheap and if it's going to be too low I have better Keys they could sign that would be worth far more in a low/mid grade than this one.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
A piece like that missing would be much lower than an 8.0. Probably a 6.0 at best.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
I would say unless that specific copy has some special meaning for you, don’t get it graded. Buy an already graded one or buy and submit a higher grade copy.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

There is a tear center bottom of this book, not to noticeable in the slab, not as long but deeper than yours, just attached on the side of the tear, but now the slab protects it. I used spit to hold it in place when I pressed it, scientific, huh?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm...is Betty making a zz top reference? (giggle..titter)
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
My opinion. Save your money you would spend on grading, pressing, screening. Instead buy another one already graded at the level you want. Keep this as a readers copy or sell it raw to help pay for the other one.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Well, sounds like the consensus is not to bother with grading. I'll just find another book for Stan to sign and either sell this one or keep it around to admire (the rest of the cover really is in great shape otherwise)

Thanks for all the feedback!
Post 10 IP   flag post
601206 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?