Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Golden AgeFor SaleWant to Buy

For Sale/Trade: Superman #76 for your GSX #16470

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Above your pay grade.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke back off. You aren't trained to handle this situation. You are going to make him more agitated.

Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Well, at least those are better than the stupid "cats with yarn" pics.

Oops. Now I've asked for it.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Above your pay grade.

Eventually, when someone at Beckett notices, this bullshit schoolyard taunting will cease.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Well, at least those are better than the stupid "cats with yarn" pics.

Oops. Now I've asked for it.

Shh..Shh...Good, good. Now lay and your back and you can have a treat and a belly rub.

Post 105 IP   flag post

It's sad...I've given you two the benefit of the doubt more times than I ought...given you credit where credit was due, supported you when you made good points...only to have you two bite again and again and again.

Such a waste, because you two have something of value to contribute far beyond being eternally offended and throwing temper tantrums because someone talks to you in a way you don't like.
Post 106 IP   flag post
@DocBrown

Shhh..Shhh. It's ok bubba, don't let the mean Blue Meeseeks bother you. *Rubs Belly*
Give you some meat later, how does that sound?

Post 107 IP   flag post
Go ahead, throw your toys out of the pram. Get it all out.
Post 108 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Seems like there are many “idiots” on ebay then .

Knd of goes to show how an auction with extended bid times would result in higher prices

No.

You're again falling back on the same flawed reasoning that "sounds" right, but isn't.

The reason those people won was because they bid THE MOST that they were willing to pay, knowing full well that they wouldn't get another opportunity to bid.

When people know that an auction can be extended indefinitely, they bid THE LEAST that it takes to simply become the high bidder, hoping no one else comes along and outbids them. Then, you get nickel and dime bidding, as people try to convince the other bidder(s) that they've bid "enough."

With sniping on proxy bidding, you MUST bid the most you're willing to pay in the last seconds, because you're not going to get another chance to bid again.

Here's a perfect example, if you can get to it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-DC-COMICS-LOIS-LANE-1-POOR-LOW-GRADE-COMPLETE-UNPRESSED-/173315605254?nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=h27Eu9oQBRIusaPpA0bWMZnhXas%253D&orig_cvip=true

(It's a beat up copy of Lois Lane #1.)

Look at the bidding history:

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/173315605254?item=173315605254&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

With FIVE SECONDS TO GO, that listing sat at $78.

Then, in the last four seconds of the listing, FOUR snipes came in, including two of mine. Now, my second high bid, $156.65, was the most I was willing to pay.

Had that listing been an "auto-extend", it's quite possible that that listing would have ended at $100, $105, $110. Why? Because people's behavior changes when they aren't up against a no-going-back deadline.

But, because three different people sniped with SUBSTANTIALLY higher bids (double, actually) than the high bid with five seconds remaining, the book sold for quite a high price, perhaps just about GPA in that grade, with costs factored in.

Now...once I saw I wasn't the high bidder, I threw in a last second punishment bid. The winner had to REALLY want it (and it would be a mistake to get caught up in "well, DB, apparently $156 was NOT the most you were willing to pay after all, huh??" because $156 was the amount I decided I was WILLING to pay...if I had won at my punishment bid, I would have said "meh. More than I was willing to pay, but what the hey, that's the rules." )

In other words, the item sold for more than double the high bid it had with only five seconds remaining. And all because two or more people bid the most they were willing to pay, knowing they wouldn't get another chance to bid in just a few seconds.

I appreciate your opinion. There is logic to what you are saying, but it is flawed.

Again, without providing actual data more than a single example of your experience, what you are claiming to be true is just a theory.

And no, pointing to gpa and saying go find some data is juvenile. It’s not on me to prove or disprove your claim. Its on you.
Post 109 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer

I almost had him asleep and then look what you do. *face palm*
Post 110 IP   flag post
Quote:
I appreciate your opinion. There is logic to what you are saying, but it is flawed.

Again, without providing actual data more than a single example of your experience, what you are claiming to be true is just a theory.

And no, pointing to gpa and saying go find some data is juvenile. It’s not on me to prove or disprove your claim. Its on you.

You've not been willing to ever concede much of anything, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't wish to do the heavy lifting, only to have you dismiss it out of hand, as you have done so many times in the past. If I believed you were interested in genuine scholarship, and would accept conclusions that conflict with your own, then I'd do it, but past experience says it's not worth the time.

GPA is where you'll find mountains of information showing what I'm saying. You're not going to find books that sell for an average of $500 sell for $100 because there wasn't an "auto-extend" in place. And you're not going to find those $500 books selling for $1,000 on CC just because there IS an auto-extend, and two people just "had" to have it. You will find outliers, and outliers is all they will be.

The CLAIM...if you will recall...was made by CAK...not me.

I've explained how it works. If you reject that, that's your choice. I suspect others reading this will disagree with your conclusion, and that's their choice. It is for them that I post.
Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@shrewbeer

I almost had him asleep and then look what you do. *face palm*

You boys may not believe this, but just because you're the loudest and most obnoxious does NOT mean that everyone here sees things the way you do.
Post 112 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

You've not been willing to ever concede much of anything, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't wish to do the heavy lifting, only to have you dismiss it out of hand, as you have done so many times in the past. If I believed you were interested in genuine scholarship, and would accept conclusions that conflict with your own, then I'd do it, but past experience says it's not worth the time.

GPA is where you'll find mountains of information showing what I'm saying. You're not going to find books that sell for an average of $500 sell for $100 because there wasn't an "auto-extend" in place. And you're not going to find those $500 books selling for $1,000 on CC just because there IS an auto-extend, and two people just "had" to have it. You will find outliers, and outliers is all they will be.

The CLAIM...if you will recall...was made by CAK...not me.

I've explained how it works. If you reject that, that's your choice. I suspect others reading this will disagree with your conclusion, and that's their choice. It is for them that I post.

Ok so you havent researched the data, so its a theory, not any kind of science based fact, ie, an opinion. Thats all I was getting at.

It WOULD be interesting to see the actual data on it.

But, apparently im just..
Post 113 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 114 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ok so you havent researched the data, so its a theory, not any kind of science based fact, ie, an opinion. Thats all I was getting at.

And that's why doing the heavy lifting is a waste of time. You won't be swayed, regardless of the mountains of evidence. The very best anyone can hope for with you is that you just stop talking about it, and pretend it didn't happen.

Because no matter how solid a case someone presents, if it conflicts with your suppositions, you say

Here's the original claim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAK
By anti-sniping software, I mean CC extends an auction by 3 minutes if a bid is placed in the last few minutes of an auction.

That is a definitive advantage for consignors.

That is the claim that needs proving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb
It WOULD be interesting to see the actual data on it.

There's nothing at all stopping you. www.gpanalysis.com. ...apparently, you can even get a temporary trial membership. The monthly membership is $10.95. That, combined with eBay, will tell you everything you need to know.
Post 115 IP   flag post
Hey, look....3 on 1. I wonder when it'll be 4 on 1.
Post 116 IP   flag post
@DocBrown I’m aware that CAK made the claim, but you seem to be arguing against it quite heavily without providing any data to back up your supposed facts.

Quote:
Because no matter how solid a case someone presents, if it conflicts with your opinions, you say

I’m all about the data. My opinions are just that; opinions. I dont care for yours, you dont care for mine. Data and actual research rules all.
Post 117 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DocBrown I’m aware that CAK made the claim, but you seem to be arguing against it quite heavily without providing any data to back up your supposed facts.

On the contrary. I've already produced at least one very specific example to support my claim; there are thousands upon thousands more. You even acknowledge, in your post a couple above this one, that I provided SOME data...in the next breath, you claim I haven't provided ANY data. Which is it...?

If you were interested in honest, healthy debate, I'd be all for it, but you're not, and never have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb
Quote:
Because no matter how solid a case someone presents, if it conflicts with your opinions, you say

I’m all about the data. My opinions are just that; opinions. I dont care for yours, you dont care for mine. Data and actual research rules all.

Past experience disagrees.
Post 118 IP   flag post
CC and HA Business model is geared towards selling for the highest number possible.

EBay doesn’t give a sht about sellers, they want low prices and lots of buyers.

One lets you snipe, the others keep an auction going until every penny is exhausted. Who’s wrong? 😉
Post 119 IP   flag post
Quote:
CC and HA Business model is geared towards selling for the highest number possible.

EBay doesn’t give a sht about sellers, they want low prices and lots of buyers.

One lets you snipe, the others keep an auction going until every penny is exhausted. Who’s wrong? 😉

Do you have any data to back up these claims, or are they just your opinions?
Post 120 IP   flag post
And no, Heritage does NOT "keep an auction going until every penny is exhausted", except in their live auctions. Their weekly auctions end just like eBay's.

And you can snipe those, too....
Post 121 IP   flag post
Quote:
And no, Heritage does NOT "keep an auction going until every penny is exhausted", except in their live auctions. Their weekly auctions end just like eBay's.

Last comic at auction I participated in at heritage, all lots went live after Internet bidding closed. Have you used heritage live? It’s super fun, and yes they exhaust every penny possible for each lot.

So how does one “snipe” heritage? During live, they will even open a lot back up after hammer to three seconds after it has closed due to Internet lag
Post 122 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Mods you can lock this thread at 7pm EST today 6/4, so everyone get your last digs in!

I will say though that there is no such thing as truly bidding your maximum. Say if your maximum is $100. Would you really not bid $100.01 if it would win you the auction?

When people snipe they are just guessing a number they think will win (not bidding their max), which is different than slowly watching it increase in an extended time auction like Heritage. That's why they get more money out of you on Heritage because they are getting you closer to your maximum (but never actually there).
Post 123 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Last comic at auction I participated in at heritage, all lots went live after Internet bidding closed. Have you used heritage live? It’s super fun, and yes they exhaust every penny possible for each lot.

So how does one “snipe” heritage? During live, they will even open a lot back up after hammer to three seconds after it has closed due to Internet lag

Heritage Live auctions are for their "Signature Auctions" which they conduct throughout the year in Dallas, Beverly Hills, and elsewhere.

They "exhaust every penny possible", in that specific format. In a live auction format, bidders bid the least amount possible to win. In a countdown proxy bid auction format, snipers bid the most they're willing to pay, because they do not get more time to think about it.

While it may seem, on the surface, that the "auto-extend" would net higher prices, that is counter to the truth of the matter, because people aren't bidding the most they're willing to pay, but merely the least it will take to outbid everyone else.

Their weekly auctions (Sunday for comics, sports, movie posters, Tuesday for coins, currency, other days for other categories) end each week, operate just like eBay, and can be sniped.
Post 124 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Mods you can lock this thread at 7pm EST today 6/4, so everyone get your last digs in!

I will say though that there is no such thing as truly bidding your maximum. Say if your maximum is $100. Would you really not bid $100.01 if it would win you the auction?

So make it $200. Are you willing to bid that?

There is SOME NUMBER that is the most. That number can, and does, change with circumstance, but it DOES exist, for EVERYONE.

So if you'd bid $100.01 (which you can't do on most formats), but would NOT bid $200, would you bid $150? $125? $110? $105? Somewhere in there is the "yeah, no, that's the max, and not a penny more."

Since, in proxy bidding, you have NO CLUE what the high bid actually is, you have no way to tell if your $100.01 bid would win you the auction.
Post 125 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

So make it $200. Are you willing to bid that?

There is SOME NUMBER that is the most. That number can, and does, change with circumstance, but it DOES exist, for EVERYONE.

So if you'd bid $100.01 (which you can't do on most formats), but would NOT bid $200, would you bid $150? $125? $110? $105? Somewhere in there is the "yeah, no, that's the max, and not a penny more."

Since, in proxy bidding, you have NO CLUE what the high bid actually is, you have no way to tell if your $100.01 bid would win you the auction.

Your max in this case is between $100 and $200, but even you will probably never know what your max truly is. You just know that it less than $200, but not how much less. It would be interesting to see how someone would bid on a regular auction vs a reverse auction on the same exact item.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Quote:

Your max in this case is between $100 and $200, but even you will probably never know what your max truly is. You just know that it less than $200.

So what do you bid?

You have to come up with SOME number, or you can't participate at all.

Do you see what I'm getting at, here? The number itself is irrelevant, but you know it's not X and you know it's not Y...it's X<Z<Y.

Finding Z, then, is where you have to make a decision. It's a real number, that does exist, for everyone, and CAN be found, given enough thought. You know it's more than $100. You know it's less than $200. Now just narrow it down.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Your max in this case is between $100 and $200, but even you will probably never know what your max truly is. You just know that it less than $200.

So what do you bid?

You have to come up with SOME number, or you can't participate at all.

Do you see what I'm getting at, here? The number itself is irrelevant, but you know it's not X and you know it's not Y...it's X<Z<Y.

Finding Z, then, is where you have to make a decision. It's a real number, that does exist, for everyone, and CAN be found, given enough thought. You know it's more than $100. You know it's less than $200. Now just narrow it down.

But if that number was say $160, I'm pretty sure most people could be convinced to go $161. That's how Heritage gets you to bid higher than eBay. With eBay you only have so much time to make that call; with Heritage you virtually have unlimited time. This causes your to convince yourself that you previous maximum was not really your maximum. By the time you realize this, you have well passed your max and you are regret zone, lol.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:

When people snipe they are just guessing a number they think will win (not bidding their max), which is different than slowly watching it increase in an extended time auction like Heritage. That's why they get more money out of you on Heritage because they are getting you closer to your maximum (but never actually there).

EDIT! This is not true. Most (all?) snipers understand the mechanics of sniping, and bid the max they're willing to pay, or they lose.

That is fundamentally how sniping works, because you don't get a second chance after the listing is over.

Again...when you snipe on a countdown proxy bid auction, you bid the most you're willing to pay. Those who don't bid the most they're WILLING to pay end up angry and frustrated if they lose, because...watch me now...they were WILLING to pay more.

If you think they "get more money out of you on Heritage", I'll pull a shrewbeer and ask you to prove that claim.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
But if that number was say $160, I'm pretty sure most people could be convinced to go $161.

Ok...but not $200. Right?

So...keep going.

If you would DEFINITELY NOT pay $200 for that item, under ANY circumstances, then you need to keep going until you reach that number.

"Would I bid $161? Yes? Ok. How about $194? No? Ok. How about $167? Yes? Ok. How about $179? Yes? Ok, how about $190? No? Ok, how about $186? Ehhhhh...?"

You have now found the most you are willing to pay.

Quote:

That's how Heritage gets you to bid higher than eBay. With eBay you only have so much time to make that call.

Show me examples of Heritage "getting you to bid higher than eBay" specifically because of the auction format.

I understand that this seems counterintuitive to a lot of people. I get it. But it's true nevertheless.
Post 130 IP   flag post
600771 133 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.