Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Golden AgeFor SaleWant to Buy

For Sale/Trade: Superman #76 for your GSX #16470

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
@3JJr I really appreciate you research efforts man. It's all good though. Everyone knows GSX #1 is a hotter book right now, but everyone also must acknowledge it is by no means rare. I can easily pony up and buy one in pretty much any grade, any day of the week.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
I think if Superman 76 was in demand, there would be more 'supply.

Folks aren't selling them because current demand is low.

GoCollect has Sup 76 as the top-traded Golden Age book. Which tells me that GA, in general, is not a hot market. Folks want BA and moderns, these days.

There are only 237 Superman 76 CGC slabs out there. Compare that to 7100 CGC GSX slabs.

Demand, demand, demand.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus
GoCollect has Sup 76 as the top-traded Golden Age book.

Wow, you are right. I did not know that!

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
This is a general comics discussion board, I like the discussion as it relates to comics scarcity, and estimated retail sales value.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus
I think if Superman 76 was in demand, there would be more 'supply.

Folks aren't selling them because current demand is low.

GoCollect has Sup 76 as the top-traded Golden Age book. Which tells me that GA, in general, is not a hot market. Folks want BA and moderns, these days.

There are only 237 Superman 76 CGC slabs out there. Compare that to 7100 CGC GSX slabs.

Demand, demand, demand.

If Supes 76 is the most common traded golden age book. That tells me many current owners are selling and not holding. I interpret that as sell before the price goes back down due to previous movie hype.
Post 55 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This has been a fun researching rabbit hole, if I do say so myself.
Post 56 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I like Sups 76 and I want one. But I would not trade a GSX-1 for one. On an equal value basis. Sup vs Bats has come and gone. A #76 will not drop a lot in value. But I see little upside, whereas, I see upside on the GSX even knowing there are a whole lot more of them around. And that is because there are a whole lot more people who want a GSX-1 than want a Sups 76.

I personally think the #76 is a more historic book. But the general collecting public wants what they want, and you never see anyone ISO a #76. But you often see people ISO a GSX-1.

At best, the #76 will maintain its value or rise extremely slowly. But could easily drop in value. But the GSX will only go up. To a certain level (that it has not reach yet). Collectors just like it more.

Note: I usually don't post on sale or trade listings here. But that cat is out of the bag on this one (three pages later), so I decided to voice my opinion.

And I admit, I like the #76 so much, that I briefly (for perhaps two seconds) considered trading a GSX 9.2 for it. But only very briefly.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
But, there is no guarantee any book will continue to go up. I've even seen Amazing Fantasy 15 drop in value before. It does happen. It went back up eventually, but people dumped them when it happened.

Books fluctuate over time. There is a chance both books could drop. I know people will argue that this book is too important or that book is too important, but remember, people are fickle.

See how quickly some people turn on a celebrity who says something they don't like or dump books because a movie underperformed.

Value is really only based on here and now. If you think the book is worth it to you, go for it, if not, don't buy it.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector 3JJr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
@3JJr I really appreciate you research efforts man. It's all good though. Everyone knows GSX #1 is a hotter book right now, but everyone also must acknowledge it is by no means rare. I can easily pony up and buy one in pretty much any grade, any day of the week.

Yes. I think of Sup 76 as being in the same category as an Action 242. Not impossible, but rare enough that to find the "right copy" takes more than simply entering the title on a comic website's search engine and picking from any number of them.

Sup 76, Action 242, BB 25, WW 105, WF 71, Sup 76, etc., etc.; your choices are very limited for a really nice copy, without even taking into consideration if the price is fair, compared to most silver and just about all Bronze age, price variants aside.
Post 59 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
considered trading a GSX 9.2 for it. But only very briefly.

We’ve seen your gsx. If memory serves correctly, it is glorious. A perfect wrap as well 😮
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
I like Sups 76 and I want one. But I would not trade a GSX-1 for one. On an equal value basis. Sup vs Bats has come and gone. A #76 will not drop a lot in value. But I see little upside, whereas, I see upside on the GSX even knowing there are a whole lot more of them around. And that is because there are a whole lot more people who want a GSX-1 than want a Sups 76.

I personally think the #76 is a more historic book. But the general collecting public wants what they want, and you never see anyone ISO a #76. But you often see people ISO a GSX-1.

At best, the #76 will maintain its value or rise extremely slowly. But could easily drop in value. But the GSX will only go up. To a certain level (that it has not reach yet). Collectors just like it more.

Note: I usually don't post on sale or trade listings here. But that cat is out of the bag on this one (three pages later), so I decided to voice my opinion.

And I admit, I like the #76 so much, that I briefly (for perhaps two seconds) considered trading a GSX 9.2 for it. But only very briefly.

Many are losing sight of the fact that Sup 76 is neither the first appearance of Batman nor Superman.

The books most directly affected by movie hype are first appearances, cameos, and books that generated the story line and their associated co-stars.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
considered trading a GSX 9.2 for it. But only very briefly.

We’ve seen your gsx. If memory serves correctly, it is glorious. A perfect wrap as well 😮
Yea, it looks like a 9.8 at least. Front and back.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
Quote:

Many are losing sight of the fact that Sup 76 is neither the first appearance of Batman nor Superman.

The books most directly affected by movie hype are first appearances, cameos, and books that generated the story line and their associated co-stars.

I don't think ANYONE on this web site, has ever thought #76 is a first appearance of one or the other. No, not even a newbie. I think most all know it is an early, or first, meeting or team-up of Bats and Sups. That is all.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
Quote:

I don't think ANYONE on this web site, has ever thought #76 is a first appearance of one or the other. No, not even a newbie. I think most all know it is an early, or first, meeting or team-up of Bats and Sups. That is all.

I rest my case. From a standpoint of movie generated hype, Sup 76 will not get the push of increased demand like an X-Factor 6 does around the release of that X-Men movie. Or all the GOG first appearance issues when GOTG first emerged. Satanna 7? Hulk 271? They had nominal value until GOTG first appearances became the hype-fueled rage.

I can't see Sup 76 being affected in the same way as these first appearance issues by movie hype. It's just too far removed.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
GSX 1 & Hulk 181. These are the new Key books of the century. More key comics will emerge as well but for sure these two books. Action comics 1 is an unattainable fantasy for all of us. These keys you can buy today! No matter the print run people will go crazy for these and prices will continue to rise.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Last bump for a cash offer before I cut off this thread on Monday 6/4 at 7pm EST. I'm going to be posting it across the street tomorrow evening, and they have strict rules about posting stuff for sale on more than one site unfortunately. Thanks!
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Why not sell on Heritage Auctions? They always seem to get buyers to pay a premium over the going price. Nuff said..

Min order they will accept for a seller is $5000 in estimated sales value. You need to meet this requirement with either 1 or several books
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Why not sell on Heritage Auctions? They always seem to get buyers to pay a premium over the going price. Nuff said..

Min order they will is $5000 in estimated sales value. Yo7 need to meet this requirement with either 1 or several books

This is another reason why I think consigning with Heritage is a losing proposition.

But really, that fact pales in comparison to giving away 45% of each sale, right off the top.

The buyer's premium of 35% goes right into HA's coffers, making the actual vig you pay to HA much higher than their 10% "commission".

Not sure if HA charges a CC fee, but at 45%, who cares.

CC and CL meanwhile charge a flat 10%, plus a CC fee. This works out to damn near exactly what eBay and PayPal fees cost most sellers.

CC and CL both have distinct advantages, unique to both of the two.

CC has anti-sniping software while CL will front CGC/CBCS grading fees at their dealer discounted rates.

What would really be sweet is if CC and CL both offered the same advantage as the other.

If one of them were to do that, they would get a lot more consignments IMO, making their auction selections deeper...and in turn, their slabs would get better prices, overall.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
The buyer's premium of 35% goes right into HA's coffers

Will you please show where there is a "buyer's premium" at Heritage of 35%....?

Last time I checked...which was 10 seconds ago...it stood at 20%.

And why is "anti-sniping software" an advantage?

I consider it a distinct DISadvantage. I want people to bid the very most they're willing to pay as a snipe, rather than having them go back and forth in a never ending auction. Why? Because the snipe fuels a burst of adrenaline, and people tend to BID MORE than they otherwise would when there's a definite deadline. Sure, you could end up selling for less...but all it takes is two people who simply MUST have it, and they snipe at ridiculous prices.

It's gambling, and as I'm sure you know, the house always wins over time. If people don't bid the most they're willing to pay, the only person they have to blame is themselves. When I stopped trying to win at some absurdly low price, and bid the most I was willing to pay...about 20 years ago...I stopped getting frustrated and angry when people outbid me. After all...I wasn't willing to pay more.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Post 70 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids have said it before. HA is unbeatable when it comes to some GA issues. Yes they have a higher commission than CL. However, also note that they reserve the right to shill bid to ensure that seller gets the right price. It is stated in their T&C that they may bid on their own behalf and Texas law allows shill bidding (at least that is what I have read)

This is main reason when I bid on HA auction that I only do my bids on a live basis.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:

Maybe CAK is referring to that HA charges buyers 20% and sellers 15% (negotiable) for an item.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@CopperAgeKids have said it before. HA is unbeatable when it comes to some GA issues. Yes they have a higher commission than CL. However, also note that they reserve the right to shill bid to ensure that seller gets the right price. It is stated in their T&C that they may bid on their own behalf and Texas law allows shill bidding (at least that is what I have read)

This is main reason when I bid on HA auction that I only do my bids on a live basis.

I rarely get GA books, and when I do, they are not high end books. So, yeah, I won't argue that point as it's not an area that I deal in.

I do think if you were to have GA slammers, if your books were in the featured category in CL or CO'S auctions, that may be enough to compensate for the "HA effect", as you described.

But maybe not, if HA is super shilltastic, combined with their GA buyers.

And I was pretty sure that I was off on my take on HA's buyers' premium when I wrote thst last post, I'll admit that I didn't remember their vig so I kinda guessed.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

And why is "anti-sniping software" an advantage?

I consider it a distinct DISadvantage. I want people to bid the very most they're willing to pay as a snipe, rather than having them go back and forth in a never ending auction. Why? Because the snipe fuels a burst of adrenaline, and people tend to BID MORE than they otherwise would when there's a definite deadline. Sure, you could end up selling for less...but all it takes is two people who simply MUST have it, and they snipe at ridiculous prices.

It's gambling, and as I'm sure you know, the house always wins over time. If people don't bid the most they're willing to pay, the only person they have to blame is themselves. When I stopped trying to win at some absurdly low price, and bid the most I was willing to pay...about 20 years ago...I stopped getting frustrated and angry when people outbid me. After all...I wasn't willing to pay more.

Yup, I was wrong about that percentage, as I followed up in my last post.

But I think CC's anti-sniping software, so to speak, is a +1 for sellers.

By anti-sniping software, I mean CC extends an auction by 3 minutes if a bid is placed in the last few minutes of an auction.

That is a definitive advantage for consignors.

An bidder is alerted that his bid has been sniped so unlike other venues, the guy who had his bid sniped, gets a 3 minute cushion to up his bid.

As a buyer who uses sniping software, that is one thing that I benefit from in eBay auctions.

That is also why, quite often, selling books via auction format on eBay blows for sellers.

Of course, bidders on HA are more likely to bid higher than eBay users , and not be the sort who likely bids much on eBay very much at all, for that matter.

Nevertheless, a 3 minute chance for bidders to re-elected their bids on a CC auction, would logically increase the likelihood of a higher final hammer price.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
By anti-sniping software, I mean CC extends an auction by 3 minutes if a bid is placed in the last few minutes of an auction.

I think you mean "definite." And I'll counter by asking you this: have you ever participated in a live auction? I have, several times. I've seen stuff sell for nothing in that format, because bidders know they have a reasonable amount of time to "up their bid" if they've been outbid, so they bid the LEAST they can possibly bid to be the high bidder. All that matters is being the high bidder at the fall of the gavel. It leads to bidders, over and over again, to nickel and dime the bidding, not bidding the MOST they're willing to pay.

Yes, it's not quite the same as "proxy" bidding, but the principle is still the same: people will nickel and dime, bidding the LEAST it takes to be the high bidder, because they know they have plenty of time to up their bid.

When there's a precise end that every bidder knows about before the end of the auction, there's an incentive to bid the MOST they're willing to pay, so they will NOT be sniped.

So, I don't think that "auto-extending" is the definite advantage for consignors that you believe it is.

If there are enough bidders, which isn't usually the case with eBay OR Comicconnect, then sniping has no detrimental effect on the prices realized. So, the real issue, if you're not asking a BIN price, is to send the RIGHT material to the RIGHT venue. You don't send New Mutants #25 CGC 9.8 to Heritage, and you don't auction Mystery Man Comics #17 on eBay.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Of course, bidders on HA are more likely to bid higher than eBay users , and not be the sort who likely bids much on eBay very much at all, for that matter.

According to who? Where do you come up with that conclusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAK
Nevertheless, a 3 minute chance for bidders to re-elected their bids on a CC auction, would logically increase the likelihood of a higher final hammer price.

Except that it doesn't, for the reasons I laid out above. It might appear that way on the surface, but when you dig a little, it's not the case.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I think you mean "definite." And I'll counter by asking you this: have you ever participated in a live auction? I have, several times. I've seen stuff sell for nothing in that format, because bidders know they have a reasonable amount of time to "up their bid" if they've been outbid, so they bid the LEAST they can possibly bid to be the high bidder. All that matters is being the high bidder at the fall of the gavel. It leads to bidders, over and over again, to nickel and dime the bidding, not bidding the MOST they're willing to pay.

Yes, it's not quite the same as "proxy" bidding, but the principle is still the same: people will nickel and dime, bidding the LEAST it takes to be the high bidder, because they know they have plenty of time to up their bid.

When there's a precise end that every bidder knows about before the end of the auction, there's an incentive to bid the MOST they're willing to pay, so they will NOT be sniped.

So, I don't think that "auto-extending" is the definite advantage for consignors that you believe it is.

If there are enough bidders, which isn't usually the case with eBay OR Comicconnect, then sniping has no detrimental effect on the prices realized. So, the real issue, if you're not asking a BIN price, is to send the RIGHT material to the RIGHT venue. You don't send New Mutants #25 CGC 9.8 to Heritage, and you don't auction Mystery Man Comics #17 on eBay.

You are correct, on all counts.

I failed to thoroughly articulate my views earlier but I was/am in agreement with what you've said here.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:

You are correct, on all counts.

I failed to thoroughly articulate my views earlier but I was/am in agreement with what you've said here.

You're slipping in your old age, CAK, you folded way too easily...you up for a game of Hold 'em...?
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown

Post 79 IP   flag post
I'll be happy to take your money in Hold 'em, too, if you'd like.
Post 80 IP   flag post
598060 133 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.