Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestionsSignatures

FMV for signed comics645

Collector Jayzer private msg quote post Address this user
When determining FMV for signed comics, what/how is the best way to determine the added value of the signature?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I was told that if the signer was still alive, add whatever they charged for the signature. So it could be free to over $100. If they are deceased, search for items that they signed and see if you can get a feel for signed vs unsigned. Obviously graded comics, signature and regular, would be the best way to gauge that.

Or, you could just do the signed vs regular comics and see what the difference is for the signature. If you can't find samples of your particular comic/signature combo, take a large sampling so you get a truer idea of the signatures value.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
If the artist is still alive there should be at least a few example price ranges to go off of.

If they are deceased then it gets a little harder to pin down a price since most deceased artists did not sign a ton of stuff, unless its someone like Herb Trimpe (RIP).

Jack Kirby is a good example of someone who did sign a decent amount of comics but since none of them were "authenticated" it makes finding a legitimate signature a little tougher and more of a gamble since there are fakes out there. I have seen prices for his authentic signature vary from around $100 to as much as $1000 depending on the book. This is exactly why I love the CBCS VSP because they know authentic signatures and can determine if its legit or suspect.
Post 3 IP   flag post
597994 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?