Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Rebirth Speculation637

Collector Mister_Mister private msg quote post Address this user
If the New 52's demonstrated anything it was that new books could rise in value. Certified 9.8 Batman #1's have been trading at $300 for the longest time and RAW versions at about $100. As well, several first issues, such as Justice League, Action and Superman have been selling for anywhere between $10 to $30 in the RAW. At $2.99 per book, I would say that's a pretty handsome return.

I guess speculators recognize this and have jumped all over Rebirth. People are scooping up multiple copies at your local comic store. This kind of sucks for people who are in it for the story because, here in Toronto, Rebirths have been selling out and some readers are left empty handed. As well, I also discovered that several comic stores have been telling their customers that they are "sold out" when in fact, they are holding a big chunk of the books for themselves. No doubt so that they can be priced higher later.

Lying is never a good thing but I can also sympathize with the stores up to a point, knowing that after the relaunch, sales will begin to dwindle. I find the whole Rebirth frenzy very interesting because I can't help wonder:

1. Can Rebirth follow in the footsteps of the New 52?
2. What will become of the New 52's now?
3. What will happen to Rebirth once all those books that are being held by some retailers are released?

I guess we'll see in the coming years. I'm not a fan of reboots but I'm happy to hear that Rebirth is a huge success.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I set up a subscription through Things From Another World tfaw.com for all the Rebirth titles I want. I'll only have to track down the various variant covers if I want them.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Batman, Wonder Woman, Justice League and Harley Quinn were all strong (especially Batman & WW) New52 titles. They will retain their value.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
You assume that there are more than just stores in TO holding back. There is no holding back here in Winnipeg probably because the initial committal level of collectors and speculators was moderate to low so, most stores ordering to demand plus a bit more on known good new 52 sellers has led to sold out shelves.

If there are stores holding back that will only help to moderate or freeze prices if they are not wise on how they sell them off. The majority of Rebirth prices will moderate or drop, with the exception of the usual top sellers and odd hit series.

Sure rebirth can follow in the footsteps of new 52 because New 52 had absolutely no continuity to speak of so, if anything, Rebirth could do better for DC and their flagging sales.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Mister_Mister private msg quote post Address this user
Yes exactly. If what is happening in Toronto is typical of other big cities, the selling out of books is misleading as speculators grab multiple copies. I know a couple of people who are buying 30 to 40 copies of only the #1’s.

It's hard to say how many stores are hoarding books for themselves but if it's happening in Toronto, I think it's a safe bet that there are others doing the same.

In any case, it's been a successful launch and time will tell if it has the desired effect for DC. In terms of back issues, I'm going to assume that the New 52's will sink since they have no connection to the past or future books.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not convinced batman N52 will really drop in value. Despite not being a connected storyline now, it is the best batman writing since basically forever.
Court of owls is as strong as any classic bat stories held very highly.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbsturgeon
I'm not convinced batman N52 will really drop in value. Despite not being a connected storyline now, it is the best batman writing since basically forever.

Amen to this. If anything, Batman New 52 #1's value is just climbing up!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
The Michael Turner variant of Batman #1 Vol 3 is getting a 2nd Printing! Wow, a 2nd print for a variant cover (separate from the 2nd print of the regular cover).

If you haven't seen the 1st print, check it out, it's that awesome.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah one title that is going to go up in value from New 52 is going to be Suicide Squad. I am only missing one issue from the second series of new 52 but see this book going up in value. I only by two issue of the Rebirth of the books I am reading. At my location we have a shop who got some good quantity of books for sale and he is not holding any back. I see The Flash for Rebirth being hit as well as Green Arrow. But as for the other one I am keeping an eye on Trinity, Superwoman, and maybe Birds of Prey. These might be sleepers that people wish they got when they come out. But we will see when they come out. I just hope what I saw a few weeks ago comes to fruition. If they are bringing Wildstorm Universe back in to play???!!!😀😁😅😂 Have to wait till SDCC to see if it a suprise they drop on use.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah. All the titles for Rebirth were gone quick as hell at all my LCS here in Oshawa. Only one I wanted to get that I didn't have was JL and Detective Comics. Might scour the inter webs for them. Looking forewaRd to Suicide Squad
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector cjbehr948 private msg quote post Address this user
How many printings is this going to hit? Went to my LCS yesterday & picked up a 1st and 3rd printing. Apparently, it's going to a 4th.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbehr948
How many printings is this going to hit? Went to my LCS yesterday & picked up a 1st and 3rd printing. Apparently, it's going to a 4th.

New 52 Batman #1 had 5 printings.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Wow that many is crazy for Batman. I know there are several first copies of Detective Comics and Batman at my local shops. But that because some are scattered around that some go online to order there.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Batman is DC's money maker. I have a feeling though that rebirth won't get that many printings because they decided to do so many variant covers on the first printing. Each exclusive variant cover has a 3000 print run. But then again, if demand is high enough that people just can't find cheap copies they might keep reprinting.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The same could be said about Harley Quinn 1 for Rebirth. When i last checked there was 22 variants and there will probably be more by weeks end. So the normal cover will be produced alot more. But when to one of my LCS and saw several copies of WW, Detective Comics, Action Comics, GL,and Flash. The shop is smart because ever where else is inly getting afew to order. The shop get its pull box and adds an extra 30 more plus to sell. So if i need an extra i always hit them up.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
People should pay attention more to Watchmen #12 and Before Watchmen: Dr Manhattan #4. If any books are going to be HOT due to the rebirth of the DC Universe...that'd be it.

Real life TIME TRAVEL in comic books in real life! Crazy.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbsturgeon

That is one title that won't I am thinking more about the books that are not Batman related or that had a short run.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
People should pay attention more to Watchmen #12 and Before Watchmen: Dr Manhattan #4. If any books are going to be HOT due to the rebirth of the DC Universe...that'd be it.

Time to elaborate! What is this sorcery you speak of?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:

Time to elaborate! What is this sorcery you speak of?

The blue hand on the cover of Rebirth is Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen. In Watchmen 12 he says he leaving to create new worlds. He makes a new one in Before 4 which is probably the current DC universe/New 52. But man, these are some lame books to speculate on. May Alan Moore haunt your dreams, speculators!
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
A big rumour or theory circulating the ‘net is that a page in Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan #4 “reveals” that Dr. Manhattan created the DC Comics New 52 or the DC Comics Rebirth’d Earth. Dr. Manhattan creates the new DC Universe 4 years before the 2016 DC Rebirth event!

(2011) Before Watchmen: Dr Manhattan #4 displays this in glorious blue panels on the interior pages

(2016) end of DC Universe: Rebirth #1

(1986) Watchmen #12: between Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias.

[DROPS THE MIC.]
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
A big rumour or theory circulating the ‘net is that a page in Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan #4 “reveals” that Dr. Manhattan created the DC Comics New 52 or the DC Comics Rebirth’d Earth. Dr. Manhattan creates the new DC Universe 4 years before the 2016 DC Rebirth event!

(2011) Before Watchmen: Dr Manhattan #4 displays this in glorious blue panels on the interior pages

(2016) end of DC Universe: Rebirth #1

(1986) Watchmen #12: between Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias.

[DROPS THE MIC.]

And there you go, you just showed us everything you'll get if you speculate on these books. Why even buy the books, everything is right there. So stupid.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I don't follow? What do you mean?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Pay no mind to Stelbert, he only likes it when it rains.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Right now I'm confused
Post 24 IP   flag post
Reference to the video DrWatson posted when Stelbert was complaining in another thread lol.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
I don't follow? What do you mean?

I mean these are terrible books to speculate on. Or maybe I should say if you (not you) pay big bucks for these books because of the three pages above, you are a fool.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Reference to the video DrWatson posted when Stelbert was complaining in another thread lol.

Yeah, he's always complaining about me 😉 😵
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 28 IP   flag post
Speculation is buying cheap books that might get hot. Buying already hot books at over inflated prices isn't really speculation now is it.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I paid cover price for all of my Watchmen, and Before Watchmen. The only ones I did not pay cover price were the Jim Lee 1:100 variants. I paid maybe $50 each for those.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600798 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?