Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden Age

CBCS slabbing skill6366

Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

I picked this book up off EBay, I was thinking about cracking it, removing the spine roll and resubmitting for fun. Then I noticed the bit of upper right corner that is fully detached, yet CBCS’s slabbing crew managed to get the corner to stay in the slab somehow. Above and beyond. Kudos to them.
So now I won’t crack. Finishes my Captain Comet, Space Ranger, Adam Strange threesome anyway.
“It’s lonely out in space.” David Bowie
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
Magic
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
Jeepers!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Could it have ripped during slabbing? Must happen from time to time.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
If it was a CGC slab, I'd say they damaged it during the slabbing process.

BUT

Since its a CBCS slab, I'll say its a bit brittle and they masterfully added the broken off brittle chipping to marry up with the cover when slabbed.

EDIT: Awesome comic BTW, thanks for sharing it with us!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
That probably happened AFTER the comic was slabbed. I've seen books that have had pieces fall off of them and CBCS actually bagged them up and returned them to the owner. They were NOT inside the slab. So I SERIOUSLY doubt that anyone did that here.

This type of thing is called "Shaken Comic Syndrome". It happens because in all slabs, there is some movement that can happen to the comic inside of the slab. Shipping is a major cause of it.

And if you look at the auction picture, that corner was attached.

eBay sold listing

Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
oh wow brah 2.0 now lulz
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
That probably happened AFTER the comic was slabbed. I've seen books that have had pieces fall off of them and CBCS actually bagged them up and returned them to the owner. They were NOT inside the slab. So I SERIOUSLY doubt that anyone did that here.

This type of thing is called "Shaken Comic Syndrome". It happens because in all slabs, there is some movement that can happen to the comic inside of the slab. Shipping is a major cause of it.

And if you look at the auction picture, that corner was attached.

eBay sold listing

I actually have 1 CBCS slab where the comic is very loose inside the inner well which will probably cause damage to the comic if shipped.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks Jesse O. Delicate things to ship.
I’ll wager this book is fairly brittle, another reason to leave it alone.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
oh wow brah 2.0 now lulz

If I ever sell it, which is unlikely, I won’t bother getting the grade changed. Buyer beware, damn it!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Buyer beware, damn it!

Buyer be Damned ! - JK
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thanks Jesse O. Delicate things to ship.
I’ll wager this book is fairly brittle, another reason to leave it alone.

The book isn't brittle, you can see the top of the interior pages thru the slab due to the page fanning....there's no tanning on them.

The book has a PQ designation of OW/W Pages.

You only see weakened paper on cream to ow pages (in both cbcs and cgc slabs)...by weakened paper I'm referring to tanning on interior covers, which can result in staple detachment.

For more on that, there is a recent/ongoing thread on the CGC Forums where a submitter subbed a HG copy of ASM 14 to CCS, whcih had cr/ow pages...and the lower staple detached during pressing at CCS. That book got a 6.o cr/ow pages from CGC.

On your book:

I'd say it is a combination of shipping, but ultimately the tear was due to the book being placed in an inner well that was not big enough.

However, even if the inner well was slightly bigger, you would have the issue of the "clamps" that are in most CBCS and CGC inner wells, which are in place to prevent SCS....exerting pressure on the rolled spine, which would in turn,over an extended period of time or just in one fell swoop like in shipping, cause staple/spine stress and staple tearing.

Look at the ebay listing and than the pic you posted, it is clear that there is a crease line on the interior top RC of the book; right where the piece was torn off due to SCS.

This is a shining example of why pressing is needed to conserve a book's grade and prevent degradation, on virtually all books.

I posted about this recently, @X-51 on here wholly rejected that contention of mine.

If the spine roll had been corrected with a press, that piece would still be on the book and the spine would be stronger, as well.

If you were to look very closely at the book before it was shipped and upon arrival, I'd bet some stress wear on the spine, and staples, has been introduced.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Example of SCS:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/433577-is-this-shaken-comic-syndrome/

ASM 14 slab thread, which I referred to above:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/433187-is-there-any-recourse-for-ccscgc-damaging-my-books/
Post 14 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
This is disheartening. Having encapsulation damage a comic is counterproductive to say the least.
Post 15 IP   flag post
After reading Copper age’s points I think I will free it and make it a happier book. I do see some stress on it. Maybe due to the severe spine roll put in a slab.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
This is disheartening. Having encapsulation damage a comic is counterproductive to say the least.

It is uncommon, but it happens in equal amounts with CBCS and CGC.

I always request, when I am having either company slab thicker books , that the books be slabbed in slabs that have slightly larger inner wells.

That said, I've never had a book graded, that has had these issues.

@Doog

Alternate solution is to have the book reholdered.In an instance like this, I think CBCS (or CGC, for that matter) would waive the reholdering fee.

As long as you bubblewrap the slab tightly, and pack the box with enough bubblewrap so the book will stay in place during shipping, it will be fine.

The trick is to pack the box so tightly that there is no empty space in the box, whatsoever.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
After reading Copper age’s points I think I will free it and make it a happier book. I do see some stress on it. Maybe due to the severe spine roll put in a slab.

I'd have it pressed.

I wouldn't reholder the book, as pressing will improve the structural integrity of the book.

But for those who dislike pressed books, reholdering the book in a slab with a larger inner well is as best as it can be.

A book like that, in a mylite2 & full back will have the same stress on the spine as it would, in its' current slab.

Cracking it out will not change anything.
Post 18 IP   flag post
600457 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?