Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Well, my wife solved my "too many comics" pr6362

COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
My wife solved my too many comics problem. I was going to either sell them as long boxes for pennies on the dollar. Or give them to my middle son to hold for many years and see what was what 25 years or so from now.

But he isn't acting in a way that makes me think he would take care of them. He has too many friends over to party with (he is single), and some of his stuff has come up missing.

I have an entire bedroom full of comic boxes. My wife wanted the extra bedroom (with that one we have three), for visitors infrequently.

So, unbeknowst to me. She got our youngest son to build shelves under our stairway. I thought he was building her shelving in our other bedroom and never went down to check to see exactly what he was doing. He is a good woodworker.

Now we have shelving under our stairway which will hold 29 boxes. I have more, but I am going to keep a few in my office (which is small but I have a table for them). The ones in my office will be books I am proud of at the moment. The runs and books I just "have", but not interested in looking at often, will go on these new shelves. And we will have our bedroom back. We are expecting many relatives in for this coming Christmas, from Arizona and Nebraska.

Now, I am going through the boxes and pulling out books I want to keep in my office. The rest will be under the stairs until I die. I ain't even going to pull them out when I read about something all of a sudden being a hot book.

I'm just going to "let it ride", and maybe my kids will have some fun with them.

Naw, who am I kidding. My wife will sell them for ten cents a piece, or have a big bon-fire. Ha Ha Won't matter to me though. I'll be dead.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Great solution. And you have the fun of going through them again before retiring them to the basement. Hard to beat the fun of sorting a long box of memories!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Under-the-stairs storage sounds like a brilliant idea...
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'll post a pic when I eventually get them all gone through and moved.

Man, what fun it would be if I lived another ten or 15 years and went through them again. Cause I will forget many by then. I have some nice runs of Cap, Tec, Xmen, Batman and Spiderman titles. I should probably put the Tec and Batman runs in my office. But space is limited there. I already have my golden and silver age books in long boxes there.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Man, how awesome of your wife & son. What a great surprise.

Just throwing this out there: if you ever wanna clear some space & sell a mixed long box for a set price, I’d roll the dice on that.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak Just a suggestion. I know that you had mentioned having health issues so I am not sure if you can do this, but what about having someone help you and take about 8 long boxes or so to a local comic book show?
1. You will have fun pricing them out before hand.
2. You might enjoy being in an environment with collectors that have the same passion as you.
3. You will have control of the books and know that they will not be bought up for pennies on the dollar one day.
4. Most likely, you will have fun.

If you have not done this so far, I would recommend trying it out. Most shows run from about 10am to 4 or 5 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Well, I must say when I saw the thread title, I expected to see something like this as to what happened to your comic books....

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Well, I must say when I saw the thread title, I expected to see something like this as to what happened to your comic books....

yes.. a shock ending as it were.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak Your wife rocks!!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak I will add that that was cool of your wife and son to do that for you.
Post 10 IP   flag post
So, been going through my long boxes and pulling out stuff I want to keep away from long term storage. And I found some books I didn't know I had.

I have only made it through to the "G's" thus far. Here are what I found that were hidden by misfile.

ASM 361 (sold over 20 of these on here and thought I was out of them).

Booster Gold #1

Killing Joke (3 copies of first printing)

GrimJack #1

And the rest I can't remember because I'm old.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak Amazing finds! I recently found out my Killing Joke was third print... Never really thought to check, so I pulled it out and saw... oops! I cussed at my mid-80's pre-teen self. :P

Also, very cool that they've found a nice home for the "aging" books that you don't need to look at very often. I love under the stairs storage. That's where the majority of my books are. So, when I need to get to them, I just need to move some things out of the way, and then I dig. Minor inconvenience for the majority of the boxes to be out of the way.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Great finds @conditionfreak, I bet you’ll find plenty more pleasant surprises!

@thelastbard Just a heads up, the Killing Joke first print can be identified by lime green ink on the title.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Oh yeah, I just hadn't looked at it in a loooonnnngggg time! You know... a couple of decades. Just assumed. Heavy on the @$$.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector 3JJr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
She got our youngest son to build shelves under our stairway. I thought he was building her shelving in our other bedroom and never went down to check to see exactly what he was doing. He is a good woodworker.

Now we have shelving under our stairway.

I thought about building shelves just like that, but didn't yet tackle the first hurdle. How did he work around the people (that lived) under your stairs so he could make enough room to build the shelving?

clickable text
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool of them
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
Quote:
She got our youngest son to build shelves under our stairway. I thought he was building her shelving in our other bedroom and never went down to check to see exactly what he was doing. He is a good woodworker.

I thought about building shelves just like that, but didn't yet tackle the first hurdle. How did he work around the people (that lived) under your stairs so he could make enough room to build the shelving?

clickable text

Silly rabbit. They just moved into the new and now available bedroom the comics used to be in.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So, been going through my long boxes and pulling out stuff I want to keep away from long term storage. And I found some books I didn't know I had.

I have only made it through to the "G's" thus far. Here are what I found that were hidden by misfile.

ASM 361 (sold over 20 of these on here and thought I was out of them).

Booster Gold #1

Killing Joke (3 copies of first printing)

GrimJack #1

And the rest I can't remember because I'm old.

Feel free to sell me some of the 361s, I bought a bunch from you years ago.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
Quote:

clickable text

Silly rabbit. They just moved into the new and now available bedroom the comics used to be in.

Now you're sleep over guests may wind up having to build shelves in the newly available bedroom in order to deal with them. I hope you have a vacant garage.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak ASM 361 seems like its always graded hard; they bring out the crusty old man w/ the gimlet eye for that particular issue. No idea why, but it always gets the hammer.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@conditionfreak ASM 361 seems like its always graded hard; they bring out the crusty old man w/ the gimlet eye for that particular issue. No idea why, but it always gets the hammer.

Probably because there are so many of them around. Just like #300.

I have owned a lot of 361's and I have never owned one with absolutely perfect centering along the spine. Some have been close though. Of course, that is not part of grading, normally.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Found some more misfiled gems today. They include:

12 Bloodshot #1's

Elektra #3 nude variant (I have one slabbed also)

And this one:

Post 22 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak I can understand why ASM 300 doesn't grade out high frequently, the red ink on that cover seems to fade fast, same as the Secret Wars 8; some look deep red, some look orange, etc. Nice find on the ROM! I just bought a collection w/ a bunch of #1's of that era; ROM, Micronauts, Eternals, Power Pack, etc.

I've gotten so many Power Pack #1's from buying collections...I can only hope that the House of Mouse decides to use the IP for a kids cartoon some day.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@conditionfreak I can understand why ASM 300 doesn't grade out high frequently, the red ink on that cover seems to fade fast, same as the Secret Wars 8; some look deep red, some look orange, etc. Nice find on the ROM! I just bought a collection w/ a bunch of #1's of that era; ROM, Micronauts, Eternals, Power Pack, etc.

#1 impediment to 300s in 9.8: that right edge. The majority are cut so the edge is actually deckled/fluted, almost like the teeth on the edge of a saw blade. It's a production issue, but IMO a point deductible flaw. It's the modern age equivalent of Silver age books with right edge chips, likewise a production issue, but defectively damaging to the book as if it were a flaw of wear.
Post 24 IP   flag post
597867 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?