Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Anyone hear about this or can verify?6350

Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I asked Aaron Sasson about the article on the CBCS Comic Collectors Club Facebook page. He laid the blame on management. I asked him if the graders were responsible for catching counterfeits and notifying management, This was his reply.

Apparently, there is a LOT more to this story!!!

wow! How could anyone take their own job seriously if the mgmt didn't provide you with computers and made you use your cell phone for research on the job? That would be a huge red flag for me on day one like "is this company legit???"
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I don't know why anyone finds any of this new or surprising. It's been like this since essentially day one. This is not breaking news.

+1000
Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Apparently Daniel will be putting out a press release within the next day or 2
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
How about a company that sells comics that they grade themselves?
eBay Link

https://m.ebay.com/itm/COMIC-GRADING-SERVICE-by-MCG-Midwest-Comic-Grading-COMIC-for-RSG-style-Grading/192531949019?hash=item2cd3cc65db:g:cm4AAOSw5dNWhuxV

This may be even more ridiculous than the existence of PGX.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
What do you guys think of this?

Post 55 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
What I take from that youtube recording, is that someone indeed was fired. But PGX has more than enough employees at this time, and PGX is not going out of business. But has plans to grow even bigger.

That is what I get from the video link above.

Which is not inconsistent with what we already have discussed. I don't remember hearing anywhere, that PGX was going out of business.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain

Two things stand out as questionable with this video...first, that video and channel is sponsored by PGX so if the OP is correct in saying that PGX MGMT is trying to keep this under wraps, then of course they aren't going to tell the people they sponsor that negative press about them is true. Second, in the video he keeps dispelling the rumor that "PGX is going out of business" which i haven't really seen anywhere; the only thing i keep seeing is that they fired their primary grading/pressing/restoration checking staff and he doesn't really address that at all in the video other than saying he has been told they still have staff.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@RyanHicks True. The YouTube channel owner told me that he'll be receiving a statement that will further cover the issues concerning these PGX rumors. I'm interested in watching the follow up video. I guess whether the statement will be truth or lies will be up to us to decipher.
Post 58 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
You can downsize and still be considered fully staffed...
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain

I watch this guy's videos a lot, but he's become a shill for PGX. I still like his videos though.

The recording doesn't say people were not laid-off. It just says they're fully staffed. So hiring Pizza Hut and sending others packing could still be legit.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah. People got fired. That’s all we know & that was essentially confirmed by that video.

A shakeup occurred. There are probably people assuming PGX was going out of business, but no one here thought that. I suggested it being a final nail in their coffin if the new staff is as shady as we’ve been told. But that’s yet to be seen.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
. There are probably people assuming PGX was going out of business, but no one here thought that.

My thoughts exactly.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I never knew it was anything other than a one or two man operation at best.

PGX's site , last I looked at it a few months back (out of curiosity), gave no listing of their staff whatsoever.

Just an address to ship books to, besides a phone and fax # and an email address.

I am still surprised that people would ever contemplate sending books to them, given their lack of transparency on even the most basic of elements.

Some people use them because TAT is fast and they are cheap.

Being new to the whole grading world, I took a look at CGC, their pricing, TAT, etc. And I immediately went looking for a competitor and found PGX. Cheaper, quicker TAT...if not for doing my due diligence and investigating a little deeper, I probably would have shipped my books to them none the wiser. Researching them is how I wound up here.

I think it is fine if for your personal collection but the day you wish to sell you are gonna take a hammer. Best case they will fetch the price as raw
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Do they not understand that reputation is absolutely everything in this industry?

If this is true, what was their goal? To hire people they could pay less? That’s all I can think of. Otherwise, what do they gain?

With an overhaul & some serious rebranding, there’s no reason PGX couldn’t have been a genuine competitor in the grading industry. Instead, they may have put the final nail in their proverbial coffin.

Owner has been offered help so many times over the years - and still the same.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I think this is over blown. A disgruntled employee who got their feelings hurt because they were fired for what ever reason, I bet that’s what this is all about.
Post 65 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
I think this is over blown. A disgruntled employee who got their feelings hurt because they were fired for what ever reason, I bet that’s what this is all about.

Probably closer to the truth than we initially thought.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I still can't believe they have/had employees...plural!
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
for all the negative press you hear about the company it amazes me they are still around at all let alone employing people
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I considered them given their prices and turn around when I was first researching where to submit comics for grading. because I'm proficient with eBay, I did some research and noticed their slabs did not fetch the return on investment the others did...also, I believe this forum helped confirm some other issues with their practices, mostly inconsistency in grades. PGX also offered signature verification which cgc didn't.

So if I didn't investigate those resources, I may have seen a fair number of comics to pgx....I still considered it for some comics I did not intend on ever selling...but the thought of not knowing if I could trust the grade given swayed me from that as well.

So for those that do not do their due diligence or care if the grading quality is, and you're slim on funds, why wouldnt you send it to pgx? Not everyone knows how or where to research...they've been around for several years (amazingly). For a newbie, they all look the same except price.
Post 69 IP   flag post
597893 69 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?