Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Chris Claremont this weekend...6349

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
So, I'm getting some books signed this weekend by Chris Claremont. I tell you, it is HARD to narrow down and figure out what to get signed! First world problems, right? Dark Phoenix Saga! Days of Future Past! Early New X-Men! Well... I have no idea what the limits are on things, but here's what I know I'm doing...

Excalibur Special Edition
Excalibur 1
Uncanny X-Men 213
X-Men Gold annual 1

Those, I'm going to get signed and send off to a Facilitator to get signed next week by Alan Davis, too, then on to CBCS for grading. Yeah!

Then... Thinking about...
Classic X-Men 1
X-Men Annual 9

Holding to get signed by Art Adams, then on to CBCS...

Uncanny X-Men 266 x 2 <-- definitely getting first Gambit signed. I have a new red/purple sharpie that matches the cover for him to sign with...

Here's where I'm narrowing down...

Uncanny X-Men 203 <-- My first X-Men book. I've taken it out a couple of times, but it keeps going back in!
Uncanny X-Men 207 <-- Just one of my favorite covers.
X-Men 97 (pre-Uncanny) <-- One of my favorite covers. My pickings prior to issue 120 are slim, and a couple of them are slabbed with Stan sigs, so I'm not going to crack them.
X-Men 137 (pre-Uncanny) <-- I have plenty of other Dark Phoenix books... all of them, actually, but I love the cover, and it's in solid condition, especially after a press. My other ones in better shape are already slabbed, and I don't want to crack. My "better" Days of Future Past copies are slabbed, too. Doh!

FYI, don't have Giant-Sized... That's one reason I'm wanting to do Classic - He contributed new content, plus the Art sig! Don't have 94, and my others around that aren't in as good shape (and, again, I love the cover image).

Anywho... I think someone else on the boards mentioned they're getting Claremont sigs, so they're probably going to be there this weekend in Ontario. What are you planning? What would you get if you were going?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Oh shoot... I also forgot, I was thinking about getting him to sign the new X-Men Wedding Special / Dodson variant, because I'm a fan of Claremont (duh), Todd Nauck is there, too, and I can get a Terry Dodson sig soon, too. Campbell cover is cool, but his lines are impossible usually.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@thelastbard - Have him sign something that means something to you. Really any X-Men he was involved in starting with GS #1 and X-Men #94. If there’s a particular cover you love, go for it!

I only have one comic with his signature; an X-Men #100 with his sig on the splash page.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

I agree about a book that has meaning for you. I got Claremont and Lee on the first X-men book I read as a kid.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
X-Men 266 is the 2nd Gambit appearance, but far and away more desirable than his 1st appearance, which he appeared in several panels on multiple pages, and which supplied his name.

*popcorn*
Post 5 IP   flag post
And if we're sharing...

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
If you all know of future Claremont signings, let me know. I got some X-Men 1st appearance of Binary's I want signed and graded.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Best picks for highest $ returns IMO are X men 101,129 and 143.

I would also add the 1st app of dark Phoenix to the list, can't recall the issue # offhand.thats one of the biggest $ returns as well.

Same with X men 157
X men 266-267

annual 12 (or 14, whichever is the 1st gambit cameo).

Xmen 120,121 1st alpha flight

Xmen 131 rogue joins team

Have everything pressed is my only other advice.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS I agree. Though I think the cover for uncanny #266 makes it more desirable.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
@MR_SigS I agree. Though I think the cover for uncanny #266 makes it more desirable.

Probably the story too.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS Just love the LOOK of that Byrne sig!!!

And, yeah, Gambits cameo appearance in which annual... X-Men Annual 14? Nice, but his full appearance is better. Of course, with Ahab re-appearing in ExTermination, who knows, it might be a good book for other reasons. I'm not digging in my books again before tomorrow! I JUST got in there a few minutes ago and pulled out New Mutants Special Edition 1 and Annual 2. So, one to pair up with Art Adams and another for Alan Davis.

@CopperAgeKids My X-Men 101 is yellow labeled with a Stan sig and I'm not authorized to crack it and get another sig on there, unfortunately... AW, not facilitator. I'd consider it otherwise! My copy is pressed and everything! I also have issue 100 verified and signed, but I don't know how that works... don't want to have to pay to get it re-verified, you know?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Gabriel85301 If I happen to notice anything listed for Claremont anywhere, I'll be sure to mention it. They seem to be pretty infrequent, but they do happen!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
@MR_SigS Just love the LOOK of that Byrne sig!!!

And, yeah, Gambits cameo appearance in which annual... X-Men Annual 14? Nice, but his full appearance is better. Of course, with Ahab re-appearing in ExTermination, who knows, it might be a good book for other reasons. I'm not digging in my books again before tomorrow! I JUST got in there a few minutes ago and pulled out New Mutants Special Edition 1 and Annual 2. So, one to pair up with Art Adams and another for Alan Davis.

@CopperAgeKids My X-Men 101 is yellow labeled with a Stan sig and I'm not authorized to crack it and get another sig on there, unfortunately... AW, not facilitator. I'd consider it otherwise! My copy is pressed and everything! I also have issue 100 verified and signed, but I don't know how that works... don't want to have to pay to get it re-verified, you know?

Correct, his multi paneled, multi paged 1st appearance was in X-Men Annual 14, and is for some reason called a cameo.
I wonder why AF15 isn't labeled as the Aunt May's 1st cameo appearance lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
Over three hours in line this weekend to see Chris Claremont, but it was worth it... Now, didn't end up spending too much time in the rest of the convention after that, though. I owed my wife a GOOD late lunch, ha ha... Bought a hardback from Marv Wolfman, some pins from a friend I haven't seen in a couple of years, and almost pulled the trigger on a variant I've been eying for six month, but... yeah... Chris was the main goal! Paul Jenkins was in panel, so no dice there.

Honestly, no complaints, though! Nice people in the Chris line made the time pass well.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@thelastbard Sounds like you had a good time. Picked good books too, well done. My pick for Mr. Claremont would probably have been Aliens Predator: Deadliest of the Species #1, purely for sentimental reasons; it was the first comic I ever bought w/ my dad.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@BabaLament If it was for sentimental reasons, it was the right reasons! Of the fifteen books I had signed, I may end up selling one of them... maybe... eventually.... The rest are all for me to appreciate the memories. Good thing I either have other copies of them or have them on trade.
Post 16 IP   flag post
598080 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?