Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Best Gloves For Handling Vintage Books?6341

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
What gloves do you recommend for handling books for inspection?

Basic latex? Cloth? Any specific brand? Etc.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't wear any, but if you're going to, white cotton gloves would be fine...just be verrrry careful of snags.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
I've been using any non-powdered latex gloves. Just to avoid finger prints. May take some getting used to, and hands can get very sweaty.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I bought some of these last year

clickable text
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
The only time I wear gloves when handling vintage books is while dry cleaning them.

as long as your hands are clean; freshly washed and the A/C is on (read cool with virtually no humidity) than you really don't need t wear gloves while handling older books.

Old newsprint, especially with a bit of protective surface dirt, wards off fingerprints.

Moderns though, always wear gloves.

Cotton gloves suck balls, they'e too bulky.Latex free is my jawn.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-vinyl-gloves-large/ID=prod6098564-product
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Lol @SpiderTim medium size hands - @CopperAgeKids large size hands. Any other?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Have you tried these? clickable text Or these?clickable text
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
Have you tried these? clickable text Or these?clickable text

I usually go this route: https://www.feldfire.com/Lakeland-ChemMax-3-Encapsulated-Suit-with-Flat-Back_p_7755.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwre_XBRDVARIsAPf7zZjV1lvxpwNadetiMnXGol0fBuRHR0MTWZqd1uGXJF5BEmgF1k2Y6mIaAoxYEALw_wcB
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I use powder free latex gloves on all books being cleaned and pressed. Glossy moderns I will wear latex gloves to place them in fresh mylites and fullbacks.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think you should use any gloves. While it's true that they can reduce the transfer of oils and residue to the paper, they also reduce your tactile response to the paper and increase the potential for damage due to mishandling.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Thats why you use small latex gloves for maximum grip. Tactile response is sharp, brah.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Thats why you use small latex gloves for maximum grip. Tactile response is sharp, brah.

1st of all, Michael, I find your comments offensive to people with latex allergies, how dare you!

Secondly, the best way to handle comics is bare handed and holding from the middle so you get a nice bend.

Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The only maximum grip is a kung fu grip

Post 13 IP   flag post

Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:

1st of all, Michael, I find your comments offensive to people with latex allergies, how dare you!

Secondly, the best way to handle comics is bare handed and holding from the middle so you get a nice bend.

Wow!

NEVER EVER would I recommend holding a comic book in that fashion. I can only assume you were kidding and being sarcastic.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
No gloves. Soap and water every half hour. If its a book you’re really nervous about handling, you’ll oil up faster than half hour intervals though.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 17 IP   flag post
600670 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?