Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Question on Pence (UK) comic TOS 396321

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Back in the day, I purchased a crappy copy of tales of suspense. I had it graded (before I was aware of CBCS of course)and found out it was even more crappy than I thought. It is a Pence variant.
I found info on the history of it, but no where does anybody mention how to approximate a value.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Hold onto it. They sell for less now, but I think the market is poised to change. These should be worth more in my opinion.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I have a 5.0 raw pence Werewolf by Night 32 that was still not cheap by any means. It went for same value if I'm not mistaken.

Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you guys /gals for the responses.
Those are promising comments considering I thought it would be worth more as a coverless copy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I think pence versions are pretty neat!

Post 5 IP   flag post
Nice books.
Love the spelling variation of "color" in that xmen book
On the werewolf by night, I just acquired one through ebay with the coupon. I am hoping the movie rumors arent rumors....
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Hold onto it. They sell for less now, but I think the market is poised to change. These should be worth more in my opinion.

Yep. A few of the keys already sell for more than the regular, larger print versions. I keep looking for good deals on pence copies of anything I can find.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have this one, but I would rather have yours any day. Keep it.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

I like it! I've never seen that title before. Is it Australian?
Post 9 IP   flag post
I don't know. That whole Britain, U.K., England, Australia, Singapore, Ireland, etc. THING. Has me perplexed.

My guess is Aussie though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
I don't know. That whole Britain, U.K., England, Australia, Singapore, Ireland, etc. THING. Has me perplexed.

My guess is Aussie though.

Yeah. It's a mess. I just found out about Spanish language EC comics printed in the US for the overseas market.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak That is a UK edition published by Alan Class. Alan Class UK comics are actually quite collectible. Here is a brief article on them: Alan Class article
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Do you really think there should be an increase in prices for pence variants since they are a lower print run from the initial US printings? Or is this like the newsstand dragon some people (like myself) chase?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Technically, any first printing of a book in another country or language is referred to as an edition. As to whether or not there should be a premium in price is all a question of supply and demand. Personally, I think foreign editions GENERALLY are always going to be priced slightly lower then the US editions. But that is in the future. Right now, foreign editions are generally quite a bit lower priced, but that is changing VERY rapidly!! In the US, we already see people paying premium prices just for the cover artwork. When people realize that they can buy a vf to vf+ Finnish Hulk #340 cover for $35 plus shipping, they are going to do it. I did. But I think your newsstand comparison is pretty accurate. Some are fairly common, some not. Some get a premium, some not. But seriously, how cool is this Finnish Hulk #340 with a RED background!!!

Post 14 IP   flag post
That is pretty cool. I like it better in red.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
of the keys already sell for more than the regular, larger print versions. I keep looking for good deals on pence copies of anything I can find.

I would love to see this, but are UK edition copies actually selling more than the US copies?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
US sells for more
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
That's what I thought. The UK editions seems to sell for a lot less that the US editions.
Post 18 IP   flag post
They do sell for less, but there is a big collecting push of people wanting foreign editions and older variants. There is also a knack that unusual things that get scorned or neglected for years will gain favor as time goes by. Key books will show a spike first, because everyone will focus on those first.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This is cool. If anyone has a lead on one for sale, please send a PM. 👍🏼
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:

I've been checking with some of my foreign comic collecting friends. One guy recalls seeing this comic come up for sale and fetching $250. Granted, he didn't recall the condition of the comic AND it IS less than a Tales of Suspense #39, but it's still a decent value. And the value, in my opinion, is only going to go up as more people become aware of foreign editions.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Nice books.
Love the spelling variation of "color" in that xmen book
On the werewolf by night, I just acquired one through ebay with the coupon. I am hoping the movie rumors arent rumors....

That variation of 'color' is more common than you think...the correct spelling of colour is always nice to find, guess they didn't have spell check back in the day
Post 22 IP   flag post
I thought colour was the UK spelling.
Somewhat akin to spelling variance between centre and center.

I am now kind of curious as to which variation the American used for that issue.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I am now kind of curious as to which variation the American used for that issue.

Yep...and colour in Canada, but color in US
Post 24 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Well, the American version didn't need to mention it. The US comics simply said "Marvel Comics Group," while the UK variants said "Marvel All-Colour Comics." At the time, a lot of comics and reprints in the UK were in black and white only. Since they were doing a separate print run for the pence price, the also decided (eventually) to change the tag-line, to highlight the fact that these comics were available in color.

Here is an interesting article on Pence comics. I can't find the one that mentioned how a few key comics in Pence variants are actually selling for more than the US versions, but I will keep trying to find it again.
Post 25 IP   flag post
colour = color
flavour = flavor
humour = humor
labour = labor
neighbour = neighbor
car hood = bonnet
apartment = flat
cigarette = fag
apologize or apologise = Apologize
organize or organise = Organize
recognize or recognise = Recognize
defence = defense
licence = license
offence = offense
pretence = pretense

British English sometimes keeps silent "e" when adding suffixes where American English does not. Generally speaking, British English drops it in only some cases in which it is needed to show pronunciation whereas American English only uses it where needed.

And they drive on the right side of the road.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
The “non-colour” Pence comics that I own include magazine-sized issues with reprints, such as:

Post 27 IP   flag post
And pocket-sized digest comics also with reprints, such as:

Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
colour = color
flavour = flavor
humour = humor
labour = labor
neighbour = neighbor
car hood = bonnet
apartment = flat
cigarette = fag
defence = defense
licence = license
offence = offense
pretence = pretense

British English sometimes keeps silent "e" when adding suffixes where American English does not. Generally speaking, British English drops it in only some cases in which it is needed to show pronunciation whereas American English only uses it where needed.

Wrong side.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
colour = color
flavour = flavor
humour = humor
labour = labor
neighbour = neighbor
car hood = bonnet
apartment = flat
cigarette = fag
defence = defense
licence = license
offence = offense
pretence = pretense

Daniel Webster changed all of that when he wrote our dictionary. He wanted to Americanize our language.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601275 44 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?