Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Off the wall question...6301

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Have any of you done a kitchen remodel in your home? If so, what part of the kitchen was your most favorite thing that was added?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector tim private msg quote post Address this user
Trash Compactor
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Thearrow private msg quote post Address this user
Granite countertops and the touch faucet.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Putting a microwave oven, mounted on the wall above our stove and under cabinets. Used to have one just on the counter top. But we also did bamboo flooring all through the house, including the kitchen. Looks nice but you can not let water set on it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

Picking out the granite, there are so many slabs, and adding an island as our kitchen is very small.
Post 5 IP   flag post

This doesnโ€™t happen until later.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Putting a microwave oven, mounted on the wall above our stove and under cabinets. Used to have one just on the counter top. But we also did bamboo flooring all through the house, including the kitchen. Looks nice but you can not let water set on it.

Did the same thing. Installed an over the range microwave. More counter space ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Currently...

Post 8 IP   flag post
CAD drawings...

Post 9 IP   flag post

Post 10 IP   flag post

Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Those look great if your kitchen is going to double as an operating room.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Or a video game kitchen.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster Looks good sir. My remodel starts June 1st. As far as kitchen work goes, I'm coloring up from a 30" to a commercial 48" six-top w/ convection oven & standard warming oven. Replacing the dual-basin top-mount sink w/ a commercial (deep/wide enough for large stock pots) stainless sink. Adding an island w/ a small wine/cigar fridge underneath, and reconfiguring the storage cabinets so I can fit in a wet bar. Already removed the top half of the wall between the kitchen & living room for a counter-height seating area; I don't allow food outside of the kitchen, so this is a way to allow people access to snacks/food while still being part of the group when watching movies/football. Other work is pretty standard stuff; new flooring, and a complete bathroom remodel (Google "Broadmoor Shower"; the only difference is that I'm not doing the tile mosaic).

Good luck, godspeed, and triple-check everything the contractors say is done yourself before you sign any checks!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

We but in a microwave pull out drawer below out counter. Nice to not even see it. Pretty easy to clean too.

I'll have to find the YouTube video the contractor made when it was finished. We also knocked down walls and opens up our floor plan as it was like a dead end hallway when we bought the house.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I have a micro over the stove and hate it. No room for a hood. I'm constantly cleaning it (& the cupboards) because of all the grime rising up from the stove.

But, if I had to choose between a hood and a micro, I'd choose the micro.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I do about 60-70 full kitchen remodels per year. Won lots of CotY awards. Kitchens can be fun, but they are getting expensive. Only ten years ago a 100k kitchen was like a godsend. Now doing one for under 100 seems like a chore. The kitchen division is doing very well these days.

Favorite feature(s)? Spring for the โ€œ3 inch square mitered edgeโ€ in granite (or quartz if youโ€™re going that route), and the biggest crown you can get. It is well worth the extra few bucks and your kitchen will look like a hundred grand ๐Ÿ˜

Excuse the mess. Itโ€™s 5am on a thursday morning and the house is trashed. Hereโ€™s mine. Small but effective (no pun!)

Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

Comic book related: see that clear glass under counter fridge there? I use one of those as a humidity chamber for pressing comics ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿบ
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector kclaw97 private msg quote post Address this user
We did our remodel about 10 years ago--took 9mos to finish. our home is 100 years old so not a lot of level places. took it down to studs/brick/dirt (horsehair and lathe behind plaster walls). Probably looking at an update in next year or so. Best part was adding heated floors...nothing better on a cold morning and warm tile.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@OGJackster Looks good sir. My remodel starts June 1st. As far as kitchen work goes, I'm coloring up from a 30" to a commercial 48" six-top w/ convection oven & standard warming oven. Replacing the dual-basin top-mount sink w/ a commercial (deep/wide enough for large stock pots) stainless sink. Adding an island w/ a small wine/cigar fridge underneath, and reconfiguring the storage cabinets so I can fit in a wet bar. Already removed the top half of the wall between the kitchen & living room for a counter-height seating area; I don't allow food outside of the kitchen, so this is a way to allow people access to snacks/food while still being part of the group when watching movies/football. Other work is pretty standard stuff; new flooring, and a complete bathroom remodel (Google "Broadmoor Shower"; the only difference is that I'm not doing the tile mosaic).

Good luck, godspeed, and triple-check everything the contractors say is done yourself before you sign any checks!

You must at least allow food in the shower since thatโ€™s where the partyโ€™s gonna be! ๐Ÿ‘
Post 20 IP   flag post
Gents, those are some nice looking remodels! It's really frustrating not being able to help. I love doing this kind of stuff. Just had rotator cuff surgery a week ago so I have to just sit and watch.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer $100k? Damn. I purchased the range/oven, wine fridge, & deep basin sink used from a restaurant supply; saved a ton of money compared to the equivalent new Viking/Wolf. Instead of upper cabinets I'm doing iron pipe w/ hardwood long-boards for shelving; another way to save a bunch of money, and it makes it look like there is a lot more space in the kitchen.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I want a fridge made out of aluminum foil too..
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@shrewbeer $100k? Damn. I purchased the range/oven, wine fridge, & deep basin sink used from a restaurant supply; saved a ton of money compared to the equivalent new Viking/Wolf. Instead of upper cabinets I'm doing iron pipe w/ hardwood long-boards for shelving; another way to save a bunch of money, and it makes it look like there is a lot more space in the kitchen.
You can buy 2 decent houses in Metro Detroit for that.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Your plans look very nice. I'd put a cabinet door in front of your wine spot above the fridge (If I see it things get drunk). Maybe a fancy one so you know there is special stuff behind it.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Looks nice! Have you thought about a prep sink under the window? What about an undermount sink instead of a farmhouse sink on the island (it might pair better with the rich woods)? Just a couple things to consider
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

Comic book related: see that clear glass under counter fridge there? I use one of those as a humidity chamber for pressing comics ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿบ

Nice set up...definitely more visually appealing than the mess I have going on in my spare/office room.

I'd be concerned about condensation forming on the racks and dropping beadlets on the books below. Alhough I would guess you have a towel rigged up to the bottom of the racks.

Nothing holds a candle to my 2+ foot long plastic tupperware , with a 1.5" thick piece of sanded wood, resting on 2 pavers in 1 3/4" of hot water....lid clamped with a large towel right under the lid.

...not pretty, but it's solid gold in terms of effectiveness.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'll be sure to post progression pics
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97
We did our remodel about 10 years ago--took 9mos to finish. our home is 100 years old so not a lot of level places. took it down to studs/brick/dirt (horsehair and lathe behind plaster walls). Probably looking at an update in next year or so. Best part was adding heated floors...nothing better on a cold morning and warm tile.

You did the work yourself?

That's what I like to hear. ๐Ÿ‘
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
Quote:
You can buy 2 decent houses in Metro Detroit for that.

A house in my town, middle class suburb in south Jersey, is around 500-750, ballpark average.

Suffice to say, SB has to be working on homes that are worth at least a million, as is.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598059 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?