CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

[PSA] Publishers: Variant Fatigue Syndrome6295

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
You guys are crazy. Variants for life!
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Would you say that if there were 642 more variants of that comic? ... or one variant that had only one copy printed and it just sold for $1500.00 to someone else?
Post 152 IP   flag post
Well, I say this was on my list. The only other variant on the list is a Wolverine 102.5. I think I'm doing ok. I'll clown around with a handful of variants, but most of that crap is for the birds.

Edit: 102.5 isn't a variant but some Fleer promo/mailaway.
Post 153 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Well, I say this was on my list. The only other variant on the list is a Wolverine 102.5. I think I'm doing ok. I'll clown around with a handful of variants, but most of that crap is for the birds.

Edit: 102.5 isn't a variant but some Fleer promo/mailaway.

I didn't have a problem with single variants for special issues or special occasions. What we have now is the abuse of variants. I'd be overjoyed to see single issues that featured content on the cover that's relevant to what's inside. I don't even mind word balloons that entice people to open the pages and find out why they should want to buy it.
Post 154 IP   flag post
The variant stuff is out of control. Star Wars had how many? I lost track after 60 something. Now, it looks like every store wants to commission some unoriginal swipe and charge 13x what the cover price is. I don't go out of my way to purchase many of the variants because it's a waste of my time and money that I could put towards buying cool storylines, filling gaps in my Uncanny X-Men run or doing something more productive. I don't know who is buying all that crap, but if people wanted the books cheap, they should just wait a few months. I thought it was a fad, but it apparently is here to stay until the market dictates otherwise.
Post 155 IP   flag post

Variants are running customers off, but the publishers just keep adding more and seeing sales increase because the people who don't know any better fall for the hype and just have to have that one they think is special.
Post 156 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Venom #2 Crain variant (limited to 600 copies) hasn't sold out yet at any of the 4 sites 90 minutes after going on sale. Could this be the beginnings of a turn-around....variant fatigue finally starting to set in...?

Maybe people are stingy with their wallets as convention season begins its summer stretch...?
Post 157 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I have still not bought anymore variant or store exclusive variants since first post of this thread. Suck it, @KingNampa.
Post 158 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 159 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I have still not bought anymore variant or store exclusive variants since first post of this thread. Suck it, @KingNampa.

Only “Cover B’s”?

Post 160 IP   flag post
Multiple printings with different covers are just a way to trick you into buying variants.
Post 161 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Venom #2 Crain variant (limited to 600 copies) hasn't sold out yet at any of the 4 sites 90 minutes after going on sale. Could this be the beginnings of a turn-around....variant fatigue finally starting to set in...?

Maybe people are stingy with their wallets as convention season begins its summer stretch...?
I just woke up and thought I'd check this one as got emails from a few stores. Not sold out at any of them.

Not appealing for me as is non key.. And they are charging quite a bit for it.
Post 162 IP   flag post
Quote:

Fake news.
Post 163 IP   flag post
Quote:

The consumer doesn't have to buy variants. The publishers just have to dupe the retailers into buying them. Until the retailers collectively quit supporting the garbage, variants will continue.
Post 164 IP   flag post
i personally love the selection of variants on key issues. it really feeds my cravings around key events. ( new characters / major stories mostly for me )

what happens outside of key issues i really dont care as i just get A covers for those .
Post 165 IP   flag post
Quote:

Uh oh, k-myke....

Post 166 IP   flag post
Quote:

Virgins still available at all locations!....yes, I'm still talking about comics.
Post 167 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Virgins still available at all locations!....yes, I'm still talking about comics.
my thoughts

* it's an ordinary cover
* non key issue (I believe)
*venom #1 was not good.. Its on thin ice for me whether it remains on my pull list
*variant overdose syndrome.. Its been an insane couple of months
*empty wallets because of the above ( asm 800 has been a drain for me)
*there are likely better variants to target in coming months .. Cosmic ghost rider for one is surely to have a few.
Post 168 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke Remember when I told you the best 800 cover has yet to come? Well - don't have to wait much longer. It is coming!
Post 169 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@kaptainmyke Remember when I told you the best 800 cover has yet to come? Well - don't have to wait much longer. It is coming!
tease!!!
Post 170 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
tease!!!

#soon?
Post 171 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
tease!!!

#soon?

Sooner than "soon"
Post 172 IP   flag post

ha that looks pretty cool what they did with the front wheel there
Post 173 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
tease!!!

#soon?

Sooner than "soon"

Fine. #sooner
Post 174 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
i personally love the selection of variants on key issues. it really feeds my cravings around key events. ( new characters / major stories mostly for me )

what happens outside of key issues i really dont care as i just get A covers for those .

@Wraith Please forgive me for using your post as an example of what I think is one of the problems with the hobby today.

It used to be that a comic became "key" well after its release to the market. Now comics are considered "key" before they're even released.
"Key" simply doesn't mean what it used to mean.
Post 175 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS I totally get what you are saying!!

However, times have definitely changed!!! For example, in the past you would not have heard of Red Goblin or The Batman Who Laughs before the release of the comic. Now, you know about these things 2-3 months before they happen!!! Is this good, bad or just different? I haven't decided yet. I can see different arguments for each side. I think only time will tell. I do know one thing, it'll take a miracle nowadays for DC or Marvel to introduce a major character secretly.
Post 176 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
"Key" is now a term used to rationalize that the money spent is truly going towards an investment comic.
Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@MR_SigS I totally get what you are saying!!

However, times have definitely changed!!! For example, in the past you would not have heard of Red Goblin or The Batman Who Laughs before the release of the comic. Now, you know about these things 2-3 months before they happen!!! [b]Is this good, bad or just different?[b] I haven't decided yet. I can see different arguments for each side. I think only time will tell. I do know one thing, it'll take a miracle nowadays for DC or Marvel to introduce a major character secretly.

Speaking for myself, I vote 'bad'.
I don't even like watching "Next time on..." previews lol

I liked things fresh and unexpected. I tend to over think things, and if I had 2-3 months to speculate on what the tidbits of news that gets released will lead to, I'd probably end up being disappointed.

As a kid, I listened to 6 months of all my friends' reviews for the first "Alien" film before I finally saw it. I was bored to tears (love it now, but not then).
Post 178 IP   flag post

Post 179 IP   flag post
Quote:

hmmm.. On the fence.. Spidey looks a little dwarf like . Who is the seller?
Post 180 IP   flag post
600891 419 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?