Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

[PSA] Publishers: Variant Fatigue Syndrome6295

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user

haven’t received it yet. I am being told that it is more red than what it appears on this scan
Post 251 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@poka That's freaking incredible!!!
Post 252 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I havent visited my pull box since Action 1000 came out. I’ve considered closing it, but keep thinking I might get over it (but havent). All for those reasons you mentioned, Kap. That was the last straw for me I think.

I remain master of my domain. Still have not visited the box, and suspended it temporarily.

The break feels good. Enjoying my older books for a while, pissed off at DC for not closing out the Rebirth story properly anyways.

Now as for that original art “variant”... I’ll take that! Congrats on the purchase poka!
Post 253 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Ok, I caved... but only for Vampi. Her 50th anniversary is coming up in 2019 so I KNOW there will be tons of variants I will be buying for it.

@Darkga - Thanks for confirming that I made the right choice. I wanted a Mayhew original art of a cover, but wasn’t sure about this one. But when offered I had to say yes!
Post 254 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Aaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnd they are all gone.

Wow. It will always keep happening as long as people buy them up. What a scam.

Did you see that a few hours before they went live eBay SALES were already pushing past the $150 range? That was the raw copy. I think I saw a sale of the 300 copy limited edition of $600.

Incredible.
Post 255 IP   flag post

@Jesse_O @shrewbeer

Thanks guys!
Post 256 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I'm getting "[PSA] Publishers: Variant Fatigue Syndrome" thread Fatigue. Can we move on from this? People are going to buy what they want and @kaptainmyke will be addicted to what he wants. End of story.
Post 257 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

Did you see that a few hours before they went live eBay SALES were already pushing past the $150 range? That was the raw copy. I think I saw a sale of the 300 copy limited edition of $600.

Incredible.
it's amazing how much hype these two covers got. Some people really really really want them in their collection... (I still can't see why).

I considered waking up at 2am to get a couple to flip, as no desire to have a dwarf spidey in my collection, but I slept through my alarm!! Haha..

That sells out in minutes and really cool covers like the inhyuk Lee are still available.. Us collectors are a funny group.
Post 258 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I'm sooo jelly...
Post 259 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

Incredible.
Flippers gonna flip.
Post 260 IP   flag post
What do you guys think about this one?

Post 261 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
Now that this thread has reached page 11, I can conclude that almost no one has variant fatigue.
Post 262 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop
Now that this thread has reached page 11, I can conclude that almost no one has variant fatigue.

Well - some claim they have - and some try to tempt those guys! Guess which camp I belong to
Post 263 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I will come clean that I purchase Transformers retailer incentive books from IDW. But there's only one of those usually and I get it for dirt cheap. As for the bullcrap that Marvel has pulled with Star Wars and Spider-man with 17,000 variants for every issue, well they can kiss the fattest part of my ass.
Post 264 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

haven’t received it yet. I am being told that it is more red than what it appears on this scan

Wait so MAYHEW did that cover? Wow who is this guy? He came out of left field with ASM and now Vampirella?!

Would you ever sell this piece? I know you just got it.....but how? I want it.
Post 265 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
What do you guys think about this one?

That is an interesting nod. Some folks like different versions on the Mona Lisa, some prefer the original.
I like seeing what different artists come up with, even though many times it’s not my cup of tea, Skottie Young for me for instance.
And for the record, I have never purchased a variant on purpose.
Post 266 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Wait so MAYHEW did that cover? Wow who is this guy? He came out of left field with ASM and now Vampirella?!

I DO hope you are joking. Mike Mayhew has been doing cover art for YEARS!!!!!

Mike Mayhew's work listed on Comic Book DB
Post 267 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@doog The virgin cover of JLA #1 is pretty sweet looking. Just like the original. I think I'll get it.
Post 268 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Never heard of her.
Post 269 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Never heard of her.

Mayhew had been doing Vampirella for years too.

Post 270 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I am tired of variants.

It's simple, really simple. Don't buy them. As for the whole creativity aspect ... maybe try outside Marvel and DC. There are plenty of offerings outside the big two.

You really won't get much change in the big two because, at this point, nobody wants the change. If they do anything dramatic with the main characters people really get pissed off. Most collectors don't like change (even though they say they do). The big two do add new and original characters or change mantles around cares. They only REALLY care about what Batman, Iron Man, etc are doing. They have done really good things with some mantle changes/characters but honestly it has mostly been on the female character side of things and most guys are not gonna be reading books like Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, X-23, etc. So, with such tight restrictions nowadays you are not going to find that much change that will draw the attention of readers. I pity the big two because they are so scared of scaring away what readers they do have that they can't really do much than try and get other "lesser" character noticed or offer their more risque stuff in the mature titles like Scarlet or Alias and those neve3r are huge draws because they don't have main universe folks.

Variants are here to sty though as there still seems to be an audience/market for them. You want them to stop you are going to have to convince your fellow collectors that it is not in their best interest to buy them. You want new not rehashed stories. then you are going to have to stop buying the stuff has that stuff and buy the stuff that doesn't. Dollars speak the loudest to the big two.
Post 271 IP   flag post
Mayhew is extremely talented. Those are so great Vampirella pieces. I dropped out after Volume 4. The writing had me leave.
Post 272 IP   flag post
Quote:
Mayhew is extremely talented. Those are so great Vampirella pieces. I dropped out after Volume 4. The writing had me leave.

I feel you, I actually don't read Vampirella surprisingly (other than the old Warren magazines). She is my favorite comic pin-up subject though.
Post 273 IP   flag post
Can we change this thread name to “@kaptainmyke whining about variants” please?
Post 274 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

Post 275 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

Post 276 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke

Post 277 IP   flag post
yo momma
Post 278 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
yo momma

How 'bout Yo-Yo Ma?
Post 279 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Would you ever sell this piece? I know you just got it.....but how? I want it.

He's been around. I've got a preliminary cover from him..

The earliest work I've seen from him was art on either Zorro or Lady Rawhide from Topps. Can't remember if it was one or both.
Post 280 IP   flag post
600521 419 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?