Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

[PSA] Publishers: Variant Fatigue Syndrome6295

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

I am tired of variants. Swipes. Tributes. Homages. This has to stop. This begins today. I saw this cover today finally for Rick and Morty and it's obviously the same as ASM 316 with Venom. I am tired of all these limited print runs, 3rd printing, 4th printing black and white variants, special guest cover artists, and REMASTERED covers from 20 years ago. I say again to all publishers: This has to stop. The only way this will stop is if we all stop buying these rehatched same boring old ideas.

Why can't my generation show some creativity for once and break new ground? New characters, new arcs, new origin stories. Even todays new characters are just the mating of 2 existing characters. Batman Who Laughs, Weapon H, X-23, Spider Gwen, Gwenpool, Agent Venom, Antivenom, Carnage, She Venom, Mary Jane as Iron Spider, etc. Can we please show a new different direction and with less cover swipes and cheating "limited print runs"?

This is the end of the bubble for me.

#OVERIT

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
Agreed. Last one I bought was the Venomized Thanos cover by Parillo only b/c I'm a Thanos fan.

Saw ASM 316 swipe and was just like OK, enough. But peeps will continue to buy. The one thing I take away from this is that comic collecting is back but, only b/c of these "limited" variants. Nothing has anything to do w/ the story ( although DK: Metal was cool with the evil Batmen.)

The other thing that's somewhat disheartening is revamping established backstories for characters who have been around for a long time like Venom. I dig Cates a lot especially after his Thanos run. But he just completely changed the symbiote's origin. I'm not sure I'm cool with that yet, still need to read the issue...

But I digress... it's a newer generation.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I havent visited my pull box since Action 1000 came out. I’ve considered closing it, but keep thinking I might get over it (but havent). All for those reasons you mentioned, Kap. That was the last straw for me I think.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
All you addicts say no for now but next month some other variant will come out that you must have, lol.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Variants helped ween me off of Modern books. I moved from modern floppies to modern TPB's to nothing. Last comic I read was probably Saga but that was 2-3 years ago.

So yes burnout occurs.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
The Comic industry is doing more to self sabotage than any 90s bankruptcy ever could. I have this conversation frequently with one of my last friends that still reads comics. There is NO reason comics shouldn't be more popular than EVER. Look at the success of the MCU. But the industry constantly alienates and confuses new readers. My friend took their daughter to a comic store and they bought several issues of a book(think Adventure Time?) thinking they were different and it turned out they were all variants. My collecting and "Pull box" is hanging on by a thread. Each reboot I drop titles. The variant thing will pop again. Fatigue is setting in. 25+ covers of ASM 800, gtfo. It's crazy. They need to stop reboots and variants. They need to stop creating Carnovenhulkswenverine. It is absolutely bananas.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I think they alienate their current readers. I hate Venom now because there’s 5 new Venom covers E V E R Y D A M N W E E K. I just don’t care; I too am just sick of the store variant homage crap. Let’s get back to sketch covers or something and run that into the ground again. Just beyond caring almost. I know what I like and it is not store variant, Venom crap.
Post 7 IP   flag post
One good point about this flood of variants is 2-6 months after a “rare” variant cover is released I can usually pick it up for 30-50% off its original release price.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa 100%
Post 9 IP   flag post
Unlike silver or copper age books, this “variant age” will be worthless in a decade. Think about 10 years from now some kid who grew up on all these Marvel Movies is now old enough to start spending some heavy money on comics, do you think they will be looking for the 1:50 variant cover from some obscure issues from ASM , Venom, RAM, Batman, etc? Who is even keeping track of all these variant covers? Is there a database?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Your face is the place for a database.
Post 11 IP   flag post

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Action 1000 aside, I like what DC does and puts out two versions on a cover which can be ordered in any amount. pick the one you like. No incentives. Very little difference in value. Rarely do I buy both, and only when they struck gold with both covers. But at $2.99/$3.99 it's still for the love of the hobby (for the PC) Not to flip.

I think I buy their B covers 80% of the time as long as the cover art has some relevance to the interior story. Otherwise I go to A.

There have been only a handful of shop variants I had to have. And those were for the pc. But even the trade dresses are pushing $20 for 3000 print runs which is ridiculous. And I hate variants that are just "art" and have no ties to the content within.

Picked up venom #1 today....cover A. I'm happy with that. I bought one action 1000...happy with that...will cave and buy one shop variant of ASM 800...and will likely be done with shop variants after that. And will buy one cover where multiple options at cover price are offered after today.

Take the pledge!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Today is the day. It has to start somewhere, right?
Post 14 IP   flag post

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Sign me up for the pledge!
Post 16 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I recently started collecting again after a long hiatus. I got caught up in the variants for Weapon H and bought 1 of each graded. I thought that was it. Looking and behold there are 3.... wtf?

Then it appears to be variants of every comic. Personally after seeing all this confusion, I'll go back to collecting my bronze and silver age stuff. I'm too old to figure out why people get excited over these new comics when there are beautiful bronze and silver age stuff thats actually held in value.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
If you're going to spend more than $10 on an issue go pre 1990. That's where I'm at.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The bottom is going to fall out on this. But not anytime soon. The constant release of Marvel Movies is going to keep this "Variant Age" hype-train chugging along. If things start to slow down on the movie front in a couple years then we might finally see the market correction.

The thing is most people buying these variants are casual collectors. They won't care if their comic value drops 80% in a few years. They probably won't even notice.

Any serious collector that is "investing" in variants, needs to be slapped in the face and then go back to Copper age or older stuff for investing.
Post 19 IP   flag post
If movies really are causing the temporal stock market like flowcharts of first appearances and what not... Movie photo variants are a smarter solution. For the convention autograph scene. Make then 1:50 variants. Problem fixed. Grading companies and facilitators profit. Celebrity autograph signers profit. Seems like a win win.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
A year or so ago, a small publisher published a comic with some creators I wanted to support. I planned to buy 15 copies. The publisher solicited it with three covers. I was very disappointed. Initially, I decided to order 5 of each variant cover. As it got closer to the order deadline, I decided that 3 covers is stupid, so I dropped my order down to 3 copies each. They lost the sale of 6 copies because I didn't want to support variant covers. After I got the 9 comics, I discovered that they'd made a deal with one store for a 4th variant cover. Now I have the 3 common covers and the 4th I'd have to buy at a premium price online if I wanted it. I decided that I did not want the 4th cover even if someone gave it to me for free. I've done some favors for people by giving them stuff, so I'm pretty sure that someone would have given me the comic for free. I made it clear that I never wanted that comic in my collection. The publisher then announced a second second issue in the series and I encountered a web site trying to promote store variant covers for the second issue. I wrote the email address and told the publisher about my disappointment with the variant covers. I told him that variant covers would be the reason I quit buying any of their comics. They solicited the 2nd issue with three covers again. I ordered none. The solicitation was canceled due to low orders. I would have ordered 15 copies of the second issue if they'd not released the variant covers.

The problem is that they see a spike in sales whenever they solicit an extra cover. There is no mechanism to see the number of collectors who boycott their product due to the idiotic practice. Even if you refuse to buy the variant covers, they'll be motivated to solicit more covers, not less. They'll think that if you see that one cover you like that you'll still be motivated to buy it. If you want that 1:200 variant, you'll coerce your retailer to order 200 copies they don't need just so you can have that one cover you want.

This is just one reason I've pretty much quit buying new comics altogether. I'm saving hundreds of dollars a year. The publishers are throwing away my business and I never worry about spending too much or having a tight budget when unexpected bills pop up.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Think it is time for me to do another variant sale
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
As you know I have fairly close relationships with some of the stores. At least some of them do recognize that it has become a bit too much - so they are taking the steps to a) reduce prices and b) be more selective.

I will still buy and sell variants - but I too have become more selective, hence why I stayed out of all the 1000 variants and all but one of the 800 variants (well maybe 2 - as believe the best 800 cover has yet to be presented)

There are also some future issues where the publishers will only allow 1 store at a time do do variants

The publishers are also at fault. Take the issue in this thread - where Marvel will issue 27! Publisher variants - that is before any store variants! https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/6240/page/1/marvel-never-learns/#28
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I agree on one hand it's nuts... When I got the email notification for yet another rick and morty cover swipe I shook my head.. But that was more because I have zero interest in it... There are others who ARE interested.

I'm quite happy to have a selection of 20 or so covers for a key issue so I can choose the one (or 5) I like. And I like the belief that its one of 1000, 3000 etc.. If I was made of money, I would want them all. But im not so I need to choose.

What I'm really NOT liking are blatant reprint covers like the "new" MJ venom variant for venom #1 that may devalue the demand for the original

Anything that is willing to devalue past issues for a quick buck now is going to break the trust of those who invest in the hobby going forward ...
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Tons of variants have been good for my wallet. WAY too much to think about trying to get them all, so I only get what I like and don't worry about the rest. Cover swipes and homages are one thing but the shattered covers seem to = "we've run out of ideas to swipe and homage so draw a bunch of lines all over the cover and see if that sells."
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
The thing is most people buying these variants are casual collectors. They won't care if their comic value drops 80% in a few years. They probably won't even notice.

You’re showing your age here. Some of these “kids” online show off their collection thats worth thousands... and its ALL variant new books.

It’s the 90s all over again. The modern-modern market will crash just like the modern market did. 😬
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Its not comparable to the 90s at all... The 90s there were hundreds of thousands if not more than a million of the hot books selling every issue.. ( even non keys)

Yes the amount (variety) of variant covers is nuts today but there are only 1000,2000,3000 of these released at any given time..the quantity in most cases is still pretty minimal.. So in 20 years time if someone really really wants the book, it's not going to be as easy to find as say an asm 300.

The main problem if investing now is there is significantly more risk you got the WRONG variant.. You can't just get a run of comics and expect if it's a key issue that it will be worth money. Who knows what collectors in 20 years time will want..

One thing is certain - action 1000 and asm 796-800 regular covers aside- for the most part anyone wanting comics from this era is going to have a much harder time than those seeking comics from the copper age.

So I get the covers I like and want on the assumption there will be others who will want them too, now and tomorrow ( though they won't be getting my copies )
Post 27 IP   flag post
24 hours and I did not buy any variants. It begins with the 1st day.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to take this chance to be the old curmudgeon. I started reading comics about 1967. Yes, reading them.

I see these posts about variants, and 20 covers, and Chasing the 1:500 issues... but no one on here ever mentions the story. So what are you collecting? A pretty cover?

I don't think anyone has ever had the feeling of being on he edge of their seat between issues because they want to know what is going to happen next. What, Doc Ock just rented a room from Aunt May and she had a heart attack watching him duke it out with Spider-man? Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch just turned their back on the Avengers and left with Magneto? Doctor Doom just took the power cosmic from the Surfer? Red Skull changed places with Steve Rogers using the cosmic cube? Holy crap!!!! You know I could go on and on.

But as magnificent as the (only one) covers were ,it was the stories that brought me back month after month.

So if Spider-man is now swinging around with the "Spidey-Kids", who needs 12 covers. It's awful no matter how you wrap it.

Now before you start pointing out modern story lines that were good, I know there are exceptions. But whatever you say, I know those exceptions are few and getting fewer every year. The reboots are not making things better. Marketing suggests if you put a #1 on a comic, they will come. Must be true, look at the 80's and 90's. We know where that took the industry.

I know I'll get flak for this, but I don't care. The hobby is what you make of it and to each his own. But for me it's more than a nice cover. Or 12 of them.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I am torn between variants, or no variants.

On the one hand, it seems silly to have the same story in books with different covers.

But on the other hand. I really only collect covers. They get slabbed and thus all I can appreciate is the cover anyway. Although of course I collect first appearances, etc., and don't really pay attention to the cover at that point.

But all of this is our fault. It is not the fault of the stores, publishers, distributers, or anyone else involved in the production and distribution of these products. They are all in the business to make money, and we give them the money.

How many of us have shelled out $40 bucks for a brand new comic book? I bet 90% of us have.

It is our fault. We encapsulate books so that only the cover can be appreciated, and we pay for different cover versions of the same story, just because of the potential for financial gain. OR to satisfy our OCD.

Somewhere in this thread, someone mentioned their dislike for variants but then said they bought some because he is a fan of Thanos. Well, that's how it works. We love Spidey, or Harley, or whomever. And we buy anything with them on the cover.

I am more guilty than most. Because I don't even read this stuff.

I collect covers, with an eye towards scarceness or rarity. I have the need to own what you don't. It is a sickness I guess. Or greed. Not sure. But I am leaning towards sickness, as I don't sell much at all.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598088 419 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?