Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPQuestions

Inscriptions and VSP6270

Collector czarnickolas private msg quote post Address this user
The year was 1991. I was a young comic book collector, and my dad was the guy who drove me to conventions. It was a great set up, except when he let his sentimentality get the best of him. To my father, the best autographs were the ones that started "To [dad's name]..." And so, my pristine copy of Silver Surfer 50 in my hand, I asked Ron Lim if he could "make it out to [czarnickolas]..." And so, he wrote "To [czarnickolas]... Best... Ron Lim..."

My question is not whether or not this was the right move from a resell perspective. My question is this:

Does CBCS VSP acknowledge an inscription like they would for the ASP and include it as part of the autograph? Or will they only verify the signature, and then ding the book's grade for "extra writing" or some such other thing?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Menoth79 private msg quote post Address this user
There shouldn't be any problem getting it verified.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnickolas
The year was 1991. I was a young comic book collector, and my dad was the guy who drove me to conventions. It was a great set up, except when he let his sentimentality get the best of him. To my father, the best autographs were the ones that started "To [dad's name]..." And so, my pristine copy of Silver Surfer 50 in my hand, I asked Ron Lim if he could "make it out to [czarnickolas]..." And so, he wrote "To [czarnickolas]... Best... Ron Lim..."

My question is not whether or not this was the right move from a resell perspective. My question is this:

Does CBCS VSP acknowledge an inscription like they would for the ASP and include it as part of the autograph? Or will they only verify the signature, and then ding the book's grade for "extra writing" or some such other thing?

99% sure that the inscription will be verified as Lim's hand writing.

But, WRT the first part of your question. ...

CGC SS 9.8 Lim last sold for $85, previous sale was $49.

2 copies sold in 2 years means it is has little profit potential with a red label.

People generally do not want personalized comics, as well.

If it was a Kirby sig, it'd be different....Verified sigs for an artist with Lim's limited name recognition, on a common book like SS #50, are not money makers.

Lim is an easy autograph to obtain, he also doesn't charge for sigs.

Verification is $25...plus grading. If you get a 9.8 you will make a few bucks, if you get a 9.6, you'll lose money.

Silver Surfer 50 is a $10 book, if it is a dead on 9.8 raw. You may be able to win a raw 9.8 in a .99 cent auction, or pull one out of a $1 box.

Blue 9.8 tops out at $70, per GPA.

I'd say put the money towards having other books slabbed.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
If you had someone like McFarlane sign one of your Spawn's or ASM's....or a Spiderman #1 (1990)... or any of his other popular 80's-90's covers....yup.

Go for it, Todd charges a $100 for signatures now if I'm not mistaken.

Or Liefeld would be good.Or Jim Lee etc etc.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector czarnickolas private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids You've always got the best advice. The simple market analysis here is enough to keep the book as is and redirect my grading moneys elsewhere.
Post 5 IP   flag post
598062 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?