Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Anyone have a Locking Mailbox?6254

Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Guys, I'm wanting to purchase a Locking Mailbox that has the capacity to accept up to a USPS Medium Priority Mail package. The dimensions of the package is: 14" x 12" x 3 1/2"
Do any of you happen to have a locking mailbox and is it big enough to accept the package I described above? This way when I get back graded comics from CBCS I don't gotta worry about them getting stolen.
Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
For me I go with the tiniest box and get a note from the mail person to pick up my package at the post office, because it won’t fit. Lot of thieves out there, and not the good kind. So far, so good that way
Post 2 IP   flag post
My Local Post Office workers are a buncha Idiots. They will leave it beside the gate on the ground or whatever. I have no love for my local post office workers, and just about everyone in my city feels the same about them. So I'm going to get a huge drop off, mailbox.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
only way you are going to get something that large is to have it custom made and depending on what metal is used we maybe talking around 500-800$
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Robert86m Yeah, I found only one that can handle the dimensions listed above.
Lowes - Locking Mailbox
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
You maybe better off if you have any local metal shops really
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Robert86m Yeah, I can probably get them to fabricate me something up.
I can lay the concrete and brick myself.
Post 7 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Or you could just get a PO box.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Yeah, but I hate my post office. I'd rather be self contained/sufficient and know I don't gotta make a special trip to town just to deal or see those idiots after a long week or days work.
Post 9 IP   flag post
You hate your post office so you're going to try to get them to do something special at your house?
At least if they hold it at your PO, there are less monkeys handling your package.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts They wont do a thing to help me at my house. I gotta buy the locking mailbox and install it myself. Only thing they are going to do is drop off the packages in a safe secure area (that I'm going to provide myself) so they wont leave it on the ground and it also wont allow some jerk to come and steal it. I wish the Post Office provided assistance or help...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Have you looked into a UPS store/Mailboxes Etc. that can accept packages for you?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Or you could just get a PO box.

This works perfectly for me. And unless there's a sig req, I never see one of them.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@VaComicsGuy I have not.
@MR_SigS Believe me I have thought of getting a PO box, but like I said, I would then have to make a special trips into town, just to go get my mail. My wife is too busy (she has dialysis three times a week, 5 hours at a time) and I dont want to burden her. I travel enough as it is with my job. Its really not something I would like to have to do (PO Box). But thanks for the advice. And thank you too @SteveRicketts for the PO box advice as well.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
What about packages that have to be signed for, wouldn’t those be ineligible to be put into a locking mailbox.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Homer

Post 16 IP   flag post
You don't have to pick up mail at your PO box daily. You can pick up once a week, or even two weeks. Whenever you get around to it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Over the years, it has been my experience that the Postal Service
treats mail/packages going to a Post Office Box with greater respect
than home delivery...but that's just my observation.

Marty
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
What about packages that have to be signed for, wouldn’t those be ineligible to be put into a locking mailbox.
No, they'll leave a pick-up notice and you'd still have to go to the PO to get it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@VaComicsGuy I have not.
@MR_SigS Believe me I have thought of getting a PO box, but like I said, I would then have to make a special trips into town, just to go get my mail. My wife is too busy (she has dialysis three times a week, 5 hours at a time) and I dont want to burden her. I travel enough as it is with my job. Its really not something I would like to have to do (PO Box). But thanks for the advice. And thank you too @SteveRicketts for the PO box advice as well.

Do you commute to work regularly? FYI You don't have to get a PO in your own town, my box is 20 minutes from my home several towns north but conveniently on my work commute. I ship everything there, and stop by a few times per month on my way home from the office.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer Ya I travel out of the state I live in a lot. I'm a Field Service Engineer for HP. Either I drive or fly depending on what I have to do. So I really don't have a constant area I frequent. But I appreciate your idea/advice.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@GanaSoth - This was previously mentioned by @VaComicsGuy, but I thought I would add my experiences regarding a UPS Store.

A while back, I had a part-time job at a UPS Store. You could rent a mail box at their location for a fairly low price per month. Even when the store was closed, you could access your mail box. And if you received an over-sized package that didn’t fit in the mail box, they would put a message in your box with a key that opened a larger storage area. Some customers would check in every day, some once a week, and others once or twice a month. You could also request an email or call whenever a package was delivered.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@esaravo Thanks for sharing that experience and that sounds like a great setup. Do you know if this was just that particular store, or they all offer that service?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I have a super box for our block so packages get held at the main office. To save on shipping I have a US mail service - can either do yearly flat rate or $5 per package with something like $2 week for packages not picked up after 2 weeks. So far so good - never had an issue with anything left on the steps
Post 24 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@esaravo Thanks for sharing that experience and that sounds like a great setup. Do you know if this was just that particular store, or they all offer that service?

From what I know, the layout and services were pretty standard for UPS Stores, at least in the New England region. Of course this was around 15 years ago too. But you should check it out to see if it’s an option for you.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo lol - a while back = 15 years
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

Haha.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Haha.

Hey, the “Modern Age” of comics started over 30 years ago, so 15 years is nothing!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I have the best postal works in my home town! The town in 5 blocks by 3 block it has 100 people in it so sorting and delivery is done by 10AM!

My Dad is the post master...and the only employee!
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I try to give cold bottled water to the mail person whenever I see him. (I live in hot as hell FL)

My mail person treats me very well.

By the way, do you have a friendly neighbor that could assist?
Or
I assume you need to go to a location to report in after your trip is complete. Can you ask your mail person in your office to accept them or a co worker? (Preferably with locked office)
Post 30 IP   flag post
601228 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?