Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPQuestionsToys

Return shipping for overseas people6226

Collector Newbie private msg quote post Address this user
I have never done a submission for grading before and was wondering re the cost of shipping back to Australia for 1 comic book with signature verification.

I have asked CBCS for an estimate cost but they won't provide me one and just say it will be ”expensive”. Still, I thought they could at least give me some indicative amount.

When i go through the online order process, it just says shipping is nil cost. I was about to pay, but then thought re return shipping costs.

This is a bit misleading, isnt it? Because if I did submit a comic for grading and was then advised of a very high return shipping cost, then otherwise they would be holding onto it.

I have emailed CBCS but still have not received a proper response.

What are your thoughts on this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie
I have never done a submission for grading before and was wondering re the cost of shipping back to Australia for 1 comic book with signature verification.

I have asked CBCS for an estimate cost but they won't provide me one and just say it will be ”expensive”. Still, I thought they could at least give me some indicative amount.

When i go through the online order process, it just says shipping is nil cost. I was about to pay, but then thought re return shipping costs.

This is a bit misleading, isnt it? Because if I did submit a comic for grading and was then advised of a very high return shipping cost, then otherwise they would be holding onto it.

I have emailed CBCS but still have not received a proper response.

What are your thoughts on this?
You are better off doing more than 1 book.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Use the online submission to fill in your books ( you won't have to submit) but it will give you a postage estimate once you have entered your book and postage details

I saved in a spreadsheet to my address in Perth, Australia using that submit tool here we go:

1 book: $USD68.85
2 books: $USD74.71
3 to 5 books: $USD116
6 to 10 books: $USD180

Out of interest CGC return postage is more expensive below 3 books and cheaper above 3 books.

basically, you need a book of significant value. my estimated cost for posting 1 book door to door for CBCS grading (with a press) from Australia is around $AUS190

makes it very hard to justify on any book <$1000 in value in my opinion, especially if book gets damaged in process and/or comes back a poor grade. Say a book that could be worth $500 at 9.4 but you take out 20% from selling comissions or ebay / paypal fees plus the $190 spent on the grading and dont even see half that value. so i just hold my books in top loaders and hope one day CBCS or competitor will do drop off and pick up at aussie conventions

the other option is to have a friend or relative who lives in USA and frequents australia, ask them to take in their suitcase and do the submission in USA and bring back next time they come.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks.

Guess I will have to wait till they visit Australia..
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Newbie doesnt Australia have a reputable comic grading company now? The name escapes me...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Newbie doesnt Australia have a reputable comic grading company now? The name escapes me...
its called halo

you must submit a minimum of 5 books
each book costs $50 to grade !! (37 USD)

pressing is $30 per book ( 22USD)

Shipping is $48 for 5 books (36USD)

So CBCS grade and press 5 books and return post = $USD292

HALO grade and press 5 books and return post = $USD331

The difference in postage is thwarted by the over the top grading prices. The cynic in me suspects the pricing has been set up specifically to take advantage of the postage price difference.

i believe i read somewhere they sold or tried to sell or staff sold their own halo graded books for a while which is a bit dodgy... so i doubt halo graded books will ever be held in the same regard / value as CGC/ CBCS.

Its cheaper to use CBCS and more reputable in my opinion. CBCS slabs look better in my opinion also.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
its by former PGX directo

Really? I did not know that. Eeek
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
its by former PGX directo

Really? I did not know that. Eeek
im trying to find where i read that .. i may be mistaken..

i think its i read that they sold their own graded books... so similarly dodgy behaviour..

ill remove from my original post
Post 8 IP   flag post
I just had a look at that Halo website. It doesn't look professional.
Post 9 IP   flag post
They say that they will be at several comic conventions in Australia this year.

Has anyone dealt with them before?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
There is no reason go use any companies other than CBCS and CGC; all the others are not reputable.

As far as subbing books to CBCS, or CGC, for that matter, the most cost effective way to do so is to sub the books through an Australian CBCS Dealer.

Shipping is cheaper, and you get their dealer discount.
Post 11 IP   flag post
600643 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?