Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeQuestions

New Characters & your feelings towards them?6225

Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Intro: Instead of hi-jacking someone else thread on the forums; I decided to make a new one for us to discuss new characters and our feelings (if we have any) towards them.

1) Spider-Gwen and Deadpool-Gwen or whatever it is; I dont see the appeal. At all. Like we don't have enough Spider-man wanna be's (Miles). And why would we need another Deadpool character? Both of these characters are just cash cows. They are pretty much the same characters just sex changed. Boring.

2) Weapon H. I will go to bat for Weapon H tho. At first I thought "Really... is this $hit for real? Another "Solider, tested on, looks like Hulk, with Wolverine claws and skeleton/healing factor. How original..." But actually, after reading the story line(s), its pretty awesome!

3) Red Goblin is also pretty cool in terms of concept. Not much to be said about him. Except we went through many Goblin spin-offs to get to Red. Green Goblin (2 versions, Father & Son), Hobgoblin (3 versions, not related - One later turns into Devil Spider - One turns from Jack O'Lantern into Hobgoblin - One becomes Green Goblin, then Hobgoblin, then Goblin Knight, then Goblin King.) So maybe they finally get it right with the Red Goblin? Lets hope so.

4) Cosmic Ghost Rider comes into his own book this October. In the Thanos (great series) comics, we find out that Frank Castle makes a pact with Mephisto to get the power of Hell, then another pact with Galactus, giving him Cosmic Powers (now just how strong is he?). Cool concept, but if he is actually this strong, how did he die so fast against the Silver Surfer if the surfer only had Cosmic Powers but not the power of Hell behind him? Sure Surfer had Thor's hammer, but how did he get it if Thor's sister shattered it to pieces? Oh well.

What are you guy's feelings toward these newer characters? Add others, lets discuss.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
1... Fully agree

2... Agree, I laughed at the concept but now can't wait to see where they take weapon h. Really fun read

3... Agree.. The concept alone has me sold and I can't wait to see more of him.. So I hope marvel doesn't split Norman and carnage any time soon. ( or at least brings them back together often) and explore the concept deeply.. Please no "red goblinized" madness though

4... Not that interested at the moment.. May pick up an issue or two if it appears in the shelves of my LCS.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I hate all of these; they just sound so stupid out of context. Cosmic Ghost Rider, the dumbest sounding one of them all, I hear is actually pretty cool.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@dpiercy He's Frank (The Punisher) but driven mad (Deadpool mentality & jokes). I will personally say that I like his character; he's interesting and I could see his series becoming a hit especially if they have the craziness of Deadpool humor added in his series.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@GanaSoth - yah, folks say it is a cool character.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
I hate all of these; they just sound so stupid out of context. Cosmic Ghost Rider, the dumbest sounding one of them all, I hear is actually pretty cool.

Agreed.

Nothing original in that entire list.

CGR orgin story was terrible. They may have done more with him since, but I didnt continue reading.
Post 6 IP   flag post
weapon h sounded completely stupid..... still does ( i hate the name and i hate that they call him 'hulkverine' in the book )

but i couldnt put down once i started reading.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Prep-a-wrapon-H
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t see the appeal of weapon h. It’s a lazy mashup and I can’t believe the prices the first appearance is commanding. I actually had the book in my hand at my LCS and put it back b/c it looked so lame.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jdennis3 private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm you all seem to like the new characters that started when you first started reading/collecting. Maybe this generation likes the characters that were brought to life when they first started reading/collecting ie 2000-present... I am sure they haven't read all the 1k's of back issues of the characters you grew up with so these characters are new to them entirely. Just a thought you old farts
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
I don’t see the appeal of weapon h. It’s a lazy mashup and I can’t believe the prices the first appearance is commanding. I actually had the book in my hand at my LCS and put it back b/c it looked so lame.
did you read it? It's pretty basic fare, but it was fun .. And I would never have thought I would say that.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis3
Hmmm you all seem to like the new characters that started when you first started reading/collecting. Maybe this generation likes the characters that were brought to life when they first started reading/collecting ie 2000-present... I am sure they haven't read all the 1k's of back issues of the characters you grew up with so these characters are new to them entirely. Just a thought you old farts
I agree with this to a degree.. In 10 years time kids may well be jealous of us having chance to buy first appearance of some of these characters that are now all over their morning cartoons.

We can dream
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
did you read it? It's pretty basic fare, but it was fun .. And I would never have thought I would say that.

I watched a read along review of it on YouTube. It confirmed my suspicions. To be fair, I’ve never been much of a marvel reader so I probably have a bias to start with.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@jdennis3 - you are on to something; we’re a bunch of curmudgeons in this thread. 😂
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:

I watched a read along review of it on YouTube. It confirmed my suspicions. To be fair, I’ve never been much of a marvel reader so I probably have a bias to start with.
is not really one for read along .. Its mostly fighting sound effects and roaring.. Hahaha.... I've been craving a simple, fun book and this came along and is doing the job
Post 15 IP   flag post
@jdennis3 I actually do like a lot of the new characters. I think Jessica Cruz is a great addition to the green lantern corps (though humphries and seelly have not been good writers on her book; hoping Dan Jurgens will be better)

So far I like Damage and Sideways in the new DC stuff.

I thought the addition of Jonathan Kent as superboy was fantastic.

Overall I’d say I’m open to new characters. Mashups of existing ones just feels lazy to me.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
@jdennis3 I actually do like a lot of the new characters. I think Jessica Cruz is a great addition to the green lantern corps (though humphries and seelly have not been good writers on her book; hoping Dan Jurgens will be better)

So far I like Damage and Sideways in the new DC stuff.

I thought the addition of Jonathan Kent as superboy was fantastic.

Overall I’d say I’m open to new characters. Mashups of existing ones just feel lazy to me.

Ya, I agree some do feel lazy. I think they are using the motto "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Ha, I guess I did hijack that thread, my bad.
So yeah-
1. Don't get spider gwen, gwen pool, gwen, hulk, gwen duck.
2. Full disclosure, Weapon H has an interesting story going, but it just reeks of fanboy mashup, like those figures you can take apart and put Dr. Dooms head on human torch body with robot legs
3. Sick of Goblins- Green Goblin was great, I (blasphemy) actually liked the original hobgoblin better than GG, there was genuine mystery for a LONG time about who it was, inferno goblin was cool, since then...meh. Red Goblin seems like "hey kids, do you like these three things-WHAT IF THEY WERE TOGETHER TRY NEW CAPRI SUN SOUR PATCH ROOT BEER PIZZA!!!!"
4. Cosmic Ghost rider, don't really know anything about, so I'm pretty much doing the tried and true jaded collector thing and hating on the whole concept without any real knowledge of it, maybe I'll get the trade.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
@jdennis3 just made me realize I'm the comic book equivalent of this now
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Enelson

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Why you picking on marvel. What of The batman who laughs?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Too many spider gwens floating around out there for my tastes. There was even a Spider Aunt freakin'May!!! But too be honest, I'm not qualified to give a real answer on any of this. My problem is my read pile. As I rough sort through my collection I throw more comic books into my "to read" box. I base it on concept (cover art), characters, and story arcs that I have culled from this forum (some of which I'll need more issues to fill in). I'm at nearly two long boxes worth of reading material with limited time with which to accomplish the task.

Now there is another component to this: $$$. As we go along and the powers that be annoint new characters and "key" issues I find that ive purchased some of these money makers in the psat at insanely low prices!!! In that regard I love spidergwen, shehulk, msmarvel, etc!!!😎💰💵🍾🥂♥️
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Why you picking on marvel. What of The batman who laughs?
I was thinking the same thing. Batman who Laughs is wicked. I like him more than what Marvel has produced.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Mash ups do seam to be the craze these days. Look at movies too. They are alway rebooting some old movie or making a ton of sequels. It seams like the easy way out.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Intro: Instead of hi-jacking someone else thread on the forums; I decided to make a new one for us to discuss new characters and our feelings (if we have any) towards them.

3) Red Goblin is also pretty cool in terms of concept. Not much to be said about him. Except we went through many Goblin spin-offs to get to Red. Green Goblin (2 versions, Father & Son), Hobgoblin (3 versions, not related - One later turns into Devil Spider - One turns from Jack O'Lantern into Hobgoblin - One becomes Green Goblin, then Hobgoblin, then Goblin Knight, then Goblin King.) So maybe they finally get it right with the Red Goblin? Lets hope so.

What are you guy's feelings toward these newer characters? Add others, lets discuss.

Just wait for the BLUE GOBLIN or the RAINBOW COLORED GOBLIN.. lol
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Gabriel85301 How about they turn Marc Spector AKA Moon Knight into the White Goblin.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I detest them.
They are derivative, unimaginative, and pathetic.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@Gabriel85301 How about they turn Marc Spector AKA Moon Knight into the White Goblin.

Yep. White Goblin until he becomes the Gagger.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Re: Cosmic Ghost Rider - I was sorting through another old box of my comics and ran across this.

Ghost Rider of the future

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Different cosmic ghost rider... But yes those issues were discussed as the possible first appearance...until his identity was revealed in Thanos 15.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597868 40 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?